Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a regular inspection at 20.000 km with my 159 JTD 16V. Next day I noticed substantial amount of oil on the floor and on the plastic underneath the motor. My mechanic says it's old motor oil, i.e. motor oil filter is located on a position that is rather difficult to access. He continues on to assert that this may lead to old oil pour all over when the filter comes off.

Is this acceptable?

P.S. This is the first time I experienced something like this after 3 inspections with the same mechanic.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Is that his way of saying he didn't take the undertray off when changing the oil and just emptied the old oil on to the undertray?

Not acceptable, even if it is difficult to access any old oil spills should be cleaned up. I'd want to make sure that its just old oil and not a leak though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He said that the old oil might have spilled over the motor (while taking the filter off) and afterwards dripped over the motor and onto the undertray and floor. He took another look and said it was old oil and no leak. Admittedly, the oil on my floor looked rather dark, i.e. like it wasn't new.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Still doesn't excuse the fact he didn't clean it up. I would have thought replacement of the undertray would be the last step in the job. Get him to clean it up.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Diesel lub always goes black rapidly, even after a recent oil change. The 147's filter was difficult to access with the under tray in situ. but I used a small plastic food tray to catch the run off, lodged on the under tray, to save a bit of hassle.

Her indoors's mode of transport has a canister filter which always allows oil to spew onto the block and crank sensor, when it's been slackened off! :(: I stuff an old piece of towelling under it, lodged onto the block to catch this oil, a method which works fine.:thumbs:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts