Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Evening...

An issue has raised its ugly head it would seem... And I need the collected wisdom of the board to help me diagnose it...

Turning right today, from a stand still there was an almightly clonk from the front end (felt like the drivers side, but hard to tell). Wasn't doing anything exciting, just pulling into a side road as one would do, gentle acceleration etc.

I was only a few hundred yards from home and got it onto the drive without another large clunk.

Put the drivers side in the air, could turn the road wheel about 1 turn (or just a bit less) when it would effectively 'lock' - car out of gear and the passenger wheel on the ground... Put the passenger side up in the air it went round and round like you would expect a car to with a diff!

All looks ok, old and a bit rusty but ok! I've not been hammering the car at all, never do, drop clutch starts are not my style! The car goes through the gears smoothly when idling and seems to drive ok, though occasionally you get this clonk which is very loud and quite frightening to be honest! It has come on very suddenly - no problems before today (and I did all of 10 or so miles today).

Any thoughts? Not got a huge wallet so any repair work would be done by myself, I am thinking its secondhand gearbox time and try and fit it??

Any help gratefully received...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bump...

Going to plan on changing the gearbox, just scared myself last night reading all the threads about how difficult it is! At least I can cycle to work!

Not sure about changing the clutch though, mine seems fine and I only do about 6k miles a year. Is there anything you can measure to check the wear on a clutch?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Are you sure it's the diff? I have a TS spider that has clunks on full lock. Autolusso in Bournmouth diagnosed that I needed the rear engine mount replaced

I've not done anything about it yet, so I can't be 100% sure

It could also be a clunk from the suspension - worth a check before embarking on diff work

Cheers

Rich ;)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Rich,

Well, I visually checked all the springs and shocks with the wheels in the air and they looked fine (no broken coils I could see). More worryingly, once I had jacked the car up, checked things (took both front wheels off, checked the disks, pads, driveshafts etc) and put it back down, it actually did it driving in a straight line... I will check again but as it happened in a straight line and the weird binding whilst the wheels are in the air means I don't hold out much hope...

What allows the spring to turn when steering? Is there a bearing at the top of the shock I assume? Is there an easy what to check these?

I'll also check all the mounts too...

·
Registered
119 Posts
It may be interesting for you to hear that my gtv has developed approximately same symptoms as yours. When starting her in the morning and reversing in the driveway I get a knock coming from left hand side wheel (driver`s side for us here) ..sometimes when going through corners I also experience these knocking sounds, especially if taking a right turn quickly after the left turn, if you know what I mean. My guess is that this is due to either anti roll bar bushes or rear engine mount or swing arm ball joint (the one that hub assemblyis bolted to) *sometimes the knock can be felt through the floor next to the accelerator pedal*. I am changing many parts of the front end in coming week (discs, pads, swing arms, anti roll bar bushes and droplinks) and will check if the situation improves. Will let you know as it seems we have very similar problems. Sorry if I mistaken some part names as english is my second language.
Regards from Montenegro

·
Registered
37,346 Posts
Knocking under acceleration and braking is often the bush at the rear of the suspension wishbone.

Diff issues on TS cars are rare unless the car has been abused.

·
Registered
37,346 Posts
I agree, on my second V6 GTV I was scared to drive it hard in case the diff went.

On my first V6 GTV I did drive it hard, but then that was before I came on here and before diff issues were known about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts