Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I am currently a Skyline ower (A heavily modified R33 GTR converted to RWD with approx 450 bhp daily driver) and after roughly 9 years of skyline ownership I am starting to feel like a change is due.

Having spent a LOT of time perusing the car market I keep comming back to is the Brera, now I know nothing about them other than they look stunning and the reviews I have read have said that the handling sadly does not match the looks.

so if you will induldge me I have a few questions to you brera owners out there :)

what is the model to go for, I am primarily thinking about the 3.2 parkers says this does around 24mpg (I get 15 taking it steady in the skyline) is that real or is it in optimum driving conditions?

what is the upgrade market like - I am not afraid to get the spanners out (My Current Skyline was built up from a shell, including a full replacement of every bush on the chassis) and is the handling as disappoint as the reviewers have said?

Re-maps - any available? 256bhp from a 3.2 seems a tad weak?

Ownership expirience, comming from the Skyline I get attention pretty much wherever I go, some positive some negative (everyone wanting to race you can get mighty tiresome) but I can't lie about the fact I do enjoy that attention.

that is it really unless you have any other pearls of wisdom for me :)

oh this is the current car!

Simon

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
can you not post inline images on this board?
In the images lounges, yes:thumbs:

The Brera & your existing car are a billion miles apart. If the Skyline floats your boat, I'd be very surprised if a Brera would appeal.

20mpg is the norm if driven briskly across country. You'll get it as low as 7 if you drive it max everywhere.

A map & filter will give you c15 bhp & a useful chunk of torque.

Ref attention, it gets you the right sort. With no offence, I should imagine yours appeals to the sort that wouldn't "get" what a Brera or Alfa Romeo are about.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you would be surprised at what sort of attention the Skyline gets, obviously there is that from the nutter chav wagon owning brigade who want nothing more than to see you smoking the tyres and donutting in macdonalds carparks but also a lot of attention from genuine car enthusiasts.

And please before we get on the sterotyping bandwagon, I am not a drifter, a cruiser or a street racer nor am I a hardcore track addicted (though I do have a track car - a little 1.8 mx5) I am a car enthusiast.

I am aware of the difference between the Skyline and the Brera and if I wanted to change to something Skyline like then I'd be looking at Skylines, or M3's or 911's etc.

I am looking for something that looks great, has a bit of punch, sounds good and handles well. A welcoming and friendly OC would be a bonus.

I will probably keep a Skyline (err yeah I have two of them) for the odd weekend blast or trackday when the weather is nice after I have finished the planned resto project but for a daily I want something a little more civilised but does not blend into the background like another Audi A4, Golf, BMW 1 and so on.

Simon

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Hi Simon, Welcome to AO fella :thumbs:

Nice Skyline BTW... I nearly bought an R33 a few years back, but ended up somehow with a Nizmo 350z ST from Japan, so have a bit of a softspot for some of Japan's finest!

AutoDelta do some upgrades for the 3.2, so it might be worth checking them out. The Brera's are fantastic cars, well built, decent spec and a good driving position due in the main to a decent 'reach' on the steering wheel. Prodrive did a mild re-work of the Brera called the 'Brera S, which was in the main suspension, exhaust, and wheels. If you google it you'll see a few write ups etc.

Post MY08 the interior got better seats and a darkened brushed ally dash.

I'm not sure whether you'd consider a diesel? However they do a 2.4, 5 pot @ 210bhp which is a great engine from a modification perspective. DPF removal and a remap will see circa 260bhp, and for the hardcore a water/meth kit, cat replacement, FMIC and decent induction kit could give potential for 300+bhp and 500lbft!! Worth a thought unless you hate diesel.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The Brera's issue is not so much handling as power. Not terribly quick 0-60 but good overtaking punch when needed - it's more of a GT cross country cruiser really but can handle a twisting road easily. Remaps are needed, fifth gear is obsolete most of the time.

An S is probably what you are after to begin with but if it is an upgrade you want, there's the Novitec (or maybe AutoDelta) supercharged 3.8 but experiences seem mixed.

Attention wise it's funny. It kinda blends in so you see people do a quick double take when they realise they don't recognise what it is and obviously like it. Parked, you will find people ambling over for a close look and Audi and BMW drivers will try and race you off the lights. The best compliment I got was from a lady friend who has no inclination for cars at all. After sitting in it, she swung out and exclaimed "God, that made me feel sexy".

Personally, after just over a year of ownership, I love the fact that every time I get out, it still makes me smile. I always look back and there's few cars that do that as an everyday driver.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers chaps :)

Not sure I am ready for a diesel, have an a4 170 Quattro in the fleet and that is more than enough devil fuel for any household!

Great info though

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
daily driver 450hp lol

lots of positive attention when you have a nice alfa, from the most random of people.
Take a look at the brera 's' 19" wheels ...nicest alloys available

welcome to the board.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
daily driver 450hp lol

lots of positive attention when you have a nice alfa, from the most random of people.
Take a look at the brera 's' 19" wheels ...nicest alloys available

welcome to the board.
Well when I started building it petrol was less than £1 a litre! 15mpg on steady driving is not so much fun.....

G

·
0 Posts
To be honest I had an Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4 and I wasn't gettting much better than 15mpg (17-18 at best) so I am not sure you will be saving that much money with a Brera 3.2

1 - 10 of 10 Posts