Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I am thinking about swapping my Saab 93 TiD for an Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTDM Lusso 4 door saloon with 39,000 miles on the clock. It is on a 57 plate. I have to say I am knocked out by the looks of this car and that is probably the single reason for even thinking about giving up my Saab! However, before I take the plunge with this I hope for some advice.

Most important to me is service history - this car has a single stamp at 29,000 miles for a service, nothing else. I know regular servicing is crucial to a car but how crucial is it to this model? Is the fact it's only had a single service in 39,000 miles likely to be big trouble for the future? I drove it this morning and it seemed to drive very well. I'm going back again tomorrow - any tips on what to look out for?

Apart from some cosmetic stuff (a few stone chips around the rear wheel arch, a bit of wear on the leading edge of the drivers seat and general scuffs - all of which are easily sorted) there doesn't seem to be anything else visually wrong. No odd sounds, no smoke from exhausts, etc. There was a clunking that appeared to be coming from the rear offside quarter when we started out, sounding like a bit of suspension clunking, but it seemed to soon disappear.

Any advice/help/comments would be very gratefully received.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
It's slightly overdue for a service (should be every 2 yrs/18k miles) but that shouldn't be too much of a problem - assuming the single service was at approx. 2 years old and 18k miles. It needs a service now so factor that into the cost (maybe £400 Alfa dealer, £250 independent).

Apart from the DPF situation (loads about that on here) main area of concern would be possible failure of the steering rack (again loads to read about that on here). Neither need be a deal breaker as long as you factor possible costs into your budget.

·
Registered
359 Posts
29,000 miles does seam a long time for the first service. Mine had first service at i think it was 22,000, rather than 18,000 but i was still given a 1 year warranty by an Alfa dealer. Maybe you could get a mechanic to take the valve cover off to check the engine out?

I went from a Saab 900 Turbo, am happy with my Alfa, feels robust like my Saab did but miss a few practical features like being able to opne the boot with a key.

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response guys. Quadrofoglio, the service was carried out at 29,000 miles in September 2010. The car would have been coming up for 3 years old, so it looks like it was a bit late. The dealer selling it has agreed to service it before selling, giving it a new MOT and sorting the stone chips. Other than that it needs a thorough valet and detailing - something I'm sad enough to actually enjoy and have all the kit for! The steering rack sounds very worrying though.

No regrets then, bloo toon loon? I do like the Saab and will be very sorry to see it go. (despite the problems - EGR, Alternator, front springs, new cam belt and water pump) Fitted £500 worth of brand new tyres all round last month as well! However, the 159 is just too nice to pass up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
29,000 miles does seam a long time for the first service. Mine had first service at i think it was 22,000, rather than 18,000 but i was still given a 1 year warranty by an Alfa dealer. Maybe you could get a mechanic to take the valve cover off to check the engine out?

I went from a Saab 900 Turbo, am happy with my Alfa, feels robust like my Saab did but miss a few practical features like being able to opne the boot with a key.

Rob
Hi Rob - thanks for the reply. Yeah, it does worry me slightly that it went so long till its first service. My Saab has had a 12 month service since day one (with 6 monthly oil changes between). My only real worry is this steering rack problem - it seems very common.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I bought my TURISMO a year ago. And not had any issues until last week when showing signs of a dodgy steering pump/rack.

Apart from this, everythings been great, and its just the usual 'wear and tear' items.

Bear in mind, my beaut has now covered 102K miles and is still going strong!!!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Don't know what it is, but lots of people seem to go between Alfa's and Saabs (in both directions). Maybe it's because they aren't German? :confused:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the response guys. Quadrofoglio, the service was carried out at 29,000 miles in September 2010. The car would have been coming up for 3 years old, so it looks like it was a bit late. The dealer selling it has agreed to service it before selling, giving it a new MOT and sorting the stone chips. Other than that it needs a thorough valet and detailing - something I'm sad enough to actually enjoy and have all the kit for! The steering rack sounds very worrying though.

No regrets then, bloo toon loon? I do like the Saab and will be very sorry to see it go. (despite the problems - EGR, Alternator, front springs, new cam belt and water pump) Fitted £500 worth of brand new tyres all round last month as well! However, the 159 is just too nice to pass up.
No, no regrets if I could do it in french as per the song I would, its a different drive but its a really nice motor. Had Saabs for pevious 7 years and the build quality is as good, you hear all the bad bits but its the same as the Saab bad bits it only happens to a few cars same as most manufacturers.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It may be Worth double checking the Service book again, there is a section for logging the full 18,ooo mile Service Stamping.
Plus in addition, there's a separate section for a Lubrication Service Stamp further on in the book.
It maybe the car has had an oil change earlier on.
Good luck with the car - I'm sure you love it.

david44

·
Registered
841 Posts
Saab 93 TiD to Alfa 159 JTDm. Thats exactly the same swap I did about 6 months ago.

You'll find the cars quite similar as they have EXACTLY the same engine. Both have DPFs and share an awful lot of components.

I think you'll find the gearchange a little more notchy on the Alfa and the ride a little firmer. Not terribly bad things and it'll take you no time to get used to it. Of course the Alfa is a damn sight better looking which is my main reason for the switch.

Go for it - you'll love it.

James

EDIT; Just noticed you're looking at the 2.4. Ignore the bit about the engine then...

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Don't know what it is, but lots of people seem to go between Alfa's and Saabs (in both directions). Maybe it's because they aren't German? :confused:
Me too!:lol:

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
If you are buying it from an Alfa Romeo main dealer, they may be able to check if it was serviced at 18K but just not written up in the book.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone - the replies have been extremely helpful. You are right about not wanting an "everyone's got one" German car alphared159! I've decided not to go for this one though. I found out it was owned by a large car sales group in Scotland that took it in P/Ex (they were the ones that serviced it). They couldn't sell it so it was used as a general run around for a year before being sold at auction. My local indy picked it up from there and is trying to shift it now. I thought it was odd that with only 39000 on the clock the drivers seat back was badly worn on the edge - a lot of getting in an out had been going on. Checked the service book again david44 - no other stamps anywhere. It seems odd someone buys a brand new (expensive) car (it was on private plates before the garage bought it) and in 29000 miles it never sees a service

I am totally sold on the 159 though and am now looking for one elsewhere - the hunt is on! You are right bloo toon loon - if I'd listened to how bad the Saab was I would never have bought it, but 2 happy motoring years later it's going really well ... after the initial problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts