Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here, and would like to say a big HI from myself and hopefully if things go right i maybe a proud owner of a 147 gta in white.
i have read a few posts now and wanted to know about this gearbox/diff issue that it mentions. is this still relevant for cars considering that the car age is 2003 and so far there has been no problems, or is this a 100% gurantee that it will go wrong?
also how can i tell if there are any problems with the car?
all help is appreciated.
thanks

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
Welcome to AO :)

You can't tell if the diff is likely to fail, other than by taking it out and inspecting its condition - you might as well replace it then. I wouldn't risk it, get a Q2 diff fitted as soon as you buy it, and until then think about turning off the traction control and going steady with it.

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Hello, as Pud says just get one it too risky not to. Its for piece of mind more than anything because when it goes (and it will) you will be lucky if you dont have to buy another gearbox to. On the plus side, the handling is so much more controlable with better grip. No brainer really:D

·
Registered
678 Posts
Nice colour (almost as good as red!)

Some questions for that car as they aren't mentioned in the ad:

- Has the cambelt been changed (circa £700)

- Does it have the 330mm brakes (a controversial topic I know but they would cost around £1000 fitted (I think)

- As above - if it doesn't have a q2 get one fitted. They are amazing and can save costly bills (around £600 fitted)

- Has the radiator been replaced? They tend to go at that age (around £350 fitted (I think)

- Has it still got the original exhaust - they tend to corrode around that age (around £500 fitted for a good stainless cat back system (I have a Ragazzon)

They are awesome cars. Get one and enjoy - before we're all forced into Toyota Priuses (sp?)

M

·
0 Posts
Hi and welcome. I don't know this car so cannot comment on the specifics. There's a good buyer's guide on the forum here so definitely start there and read it carefully.

All Alfas and especially the GTA models have never been cheap to run or maintain as I'm sure you've noticed from looking over the forum. As a result, they can change hands when owners realise just how much they will need to spend in order not to have a costly failure later on. The diff/water pump/cam belt all fall into that category.

That said, I'd be less concerned about the number of owners (especially if you can contact some of them and find out about the car) and look instead for receipts, service records etc., etc. The car has a full history which of course is something you look for anyway but has it had other work? Look for general signs of care under the bonnet - cleanliness is usually a good pointer to the mentality of the owner (except in my case!).

It's obviously not had the Q2 but if it's not had the cam belt/tensioner/idlers done then it's overdue, despite what the service schedule says. Change water pump at the same time. All this and a service will be a bit short of £1400 at a certain well-known independent near Leighton Buzzard. Ask me how I know :eek: . You just have to grin and bear it.

Not mentioned in the guide (haven't read it all!) is the integrated sat nav/mobile telephone option: it's old and not much use so don't think of it as a something you should pay more for even though it looks pretty. This car doesn't have it but don't turn it down for that reason. The interior is quite easily scuffed and damaged, especially the driver's seat side bolster on the seat back - the pointed bit wears very quickly if the owners are porky. Also look at the side of the driver's seat by the handbrake - long fingernails scratch the leather when the brake is pulled on (think I can see some of that in the Pistonheads pics). All the interior is bloody expensive to replace if it should need it.

I'm sure others can add loads more and will do so shortly.

On the plus side, the colour is great (but pricey to repair), it has the right wheels (but can't tell if the upgrade brakes are on it). Against that, I think tha asking price may be too much money if it needs a cam belt etc as it's a private sale with presumably no warranty. You can get good aftermarket warranties - look for a thread by moderator Operation Alfa. It will cost though so factor it in.

Don't be put off if you can afford it. Good luck.

·
Registered
908 Posts
One the same colour with roughly the same mileage has just been bought by another chap on here for under £8750.

This one is overpriced, i'd say by about 1k.

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
Are you really living in India? As importing a car to India from the UK will be very expensive..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the repiles.
on the side of the cambelt the car had its 48k service just done and the dealership said the cambelt isn't due for a while something along the lines of 72k but recommended having it done at 60k.
as the q2 diff that has not been done.
dont know about the rad or the exhaust but will have a good check.
do these crs suffer from premature cambelt failure? seems odd now adays to have this sort of problem.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Yup - they do suffer from premature cambelt failure.

The official interval for the GTAs is still 5 years or 72k miles. Mine failed at 51k miles and a few others have done around that mileage.

3 years or 36k miles is more prudent for the GTAs. Not much fun if it breaks ; )

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went to see the car today and postives are:
the color is amazing!
nearly full history
sounds awesome as the backbox has been replaced.
interior is spot on!
bodywork is very good.
alloys are fine
they have the 330 discs

and the downsides were the oil level was only showing on the first marker which is the minimum marker. is this low oil or does the car just take a very long time to settle due to the v6 config?

and also there was a oily area around the gearbox/engine. is this something to worry about or pretty normal?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Not mentioned in the guide (haven't read it all!) is the integrated sat nav/mobile telephone option: it's old and not much use
I have it, IMHO 'not much use' is a bit OTT, sat nav has never failed to get me where I want, set mobile to divert to car, job done.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Went to see the car today and postives are:
the color is amazing!
nearly full history
sounds awesome as the backbox has been replaced.
interior is spot on!
bodywork is very good.
alloys are fine
they have the 330 discs

and the downsides were the oil level was only showing on the first marker which is the minimum marker. is this low oil or does the car just take a very long time to settle due to the v6 config?

and also there was a oily area around the gearbox/engine. is this something to worry about or pretty normal?
My two pence worth - I'd be careful with a car that hasn't had the oil regularly topped up - a careful owner shouldn't let it get to the bottom marker of the dipstick, it needs topping up every few weeks in my experience.

I have a very nice 2004 37k black one for sale in Manchester for £8.5k if you're interested... :) (One has to try...)

D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My two pence worth - I'd be careful with a car that hasn't had the oil regularly topped up - a careful owner shouldn't let it get to the bottom marker of the dipstick, it needs topping up every few weeks in my experience.

I have a very nice 2004 37k black one for sale in Manchester for £8.5k if you're interested... :) (One has to try...)

D
the owner has just had a service done so it may have been left low by them.
i prefer the white to be honest even though black is nice.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hurray! I am the owner of a GTA now!
hopefully the car will be reliable and i hope i enjoy the car as much in the coming months.

M

·
0 Posts
Well done and enjoy the car. :thumbs: They are great places to be in on the road - I genuinely don't like the journeys to end.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Due to the short rack they turn in very quickly, is that what you mean?
I haven't noticed the steering weight being any lighter than other PAS cars.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Due to the short rack they turn in very quickly, is that what you mean?
I haven't noticed the steering weight being any lighter than other PAS cars.
i mean that when i steer the wheel feels incredibly light almost like an overassisted pas car like say an audi tdi.
the weight of the steering increases but i find compared all other cars it is too light. is this normal or maybe the tyre pressures are out? or is there something else that needs to be checked?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts