Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving to work this morning hit a pothole and this happened :cry: ...

pothole.jpg

... although strangely enough the car still drives fine it doesn't pull and the wheel feels just a tiny bit of balance, plus there seems to be no damage to the tyre either :confused: ... but the wheel is definitely screwed as well as the big lump you can see there is also a great big split in it :( ... I've contacted EB Spares and they can do me another one for £120+vat+del (which I bet is cheaper than trying to get it fixed) ... trouble is they can't get it to me for 2 weeks (as it is currently in Italy) ...

I don't really want to be driving round on a space saver for 2 weeks, so was wondering if

a) the 147 (facelift) has a space saver or a full size spare wheel (as a family member has this car and I bet she would lend it too me)

b) anyone has a spare wheel they wouldn't mind lending me for a couple of weeks (I'll put it on the back and take very good care of it I promise)

·
Premium Member
42,865 Posts
:eek: ...looks painful does that lad

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Seriously, with a dent like that in the rim, it's highly likely that the tyre is damaged internally. To be safe, you really need to replace it.

Try here for help Potholes.co.uk - Home Page

Good luck.

·
0 Posts
Shocking Chris - feel yer pain bud :(

As said get a claim in - good luck with the search in the meantime :thumbs:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've started the claim process, although I don't think it will work, the hole wasn't there yesterday and when I went to take a picture at lunchtime it was already repaired, so fair play to the council for getting it sorted so quickly. I'm not one that thinks the world owes me a living and the council have fulfilled their obligations under the highways act.

N

·
0 Posts
Yikes. Don't drive on that for sure.

147 has a space saver too.

Try a breakers for a full sized steel one?

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to go out tonight and put on the space saver ...

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Superman has come to the rescue :thumbs:

N

·
0 Posts
Yay!

Skinny spares are the pits.

Phones the dealer today. He ordered the wrong full
size wheel for mine and has had to order it again.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
remember space saver wheels aren't to be used over long periods, they're not designed to take the constant heat.
As far as i know you can only put a claim in for pot hole damage if the pot hole was previously repaired by the council/contractor & re-opened.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yay!

Skinny spares are the pits.

Phones the dealer today. He ordered the wrong full
size wheel for mine and has had to order it again.

:rolleyes:
:lol: you've got to love the french :lol:

remember space saver wheels aren't to be used over long periods, they're not designed to take the constant heat.
As far as i know you can only put a claim in for pot hole damage if the pot hole was previously repaired by the council/contractor & re-opened.

I've got a wheel organised and will be picking it up at the weekend :thumbs:, the pot hold repair was definitely a re-repair ...

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
311 Posts
I drove unknowingly through a crater tonight. I drive the 156 to shield the GT from the roads. Thinking of keeping the GT in a glass cabinet until the roads are correctly re-surfaced around here. Its annoying to say the least since 3 newish tyres were put on it last week, plus wheel alignment.

Welcome to 21st century- the era of devolution.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I drove unknowingly through a crater tonight. I drive the 156 to shield the GT from the roads. Thinking of keeping the GT in a glass cabinet until the roads are correctly re-surfaced around here. Its annoying to say the least since 3 newish tyres were put on it last week, plus wheel alignment.

Welcome to 21st century- the era of devolution.
to be fair the roads were pretty **** in the 20th century too ... just back then cars were made out of iron and had big fat tyres ... I remember taking my Cortina "rallying" you could throuw anything at it (well apart from a big brick wall :eek:) and it would just keep going :thumbs:

·
Registered
311 Posts
I forgot to mention my damage. One punctured tyre. I have spacesaver wheel on now. Plus spare spacesaver for tomorrow's damage.

I actually think satnav is to blame, leading multi-tonne HGV down unsuitable roads to save 5minutes on a "shortest" route. There's ****** pot holes everywhere. Back in the old days, so I am told, it would be just the goods wagons, not quite horse and cart... but! Perhaps I should buy an old cortina with those fat tyres!!! sounds cool.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
they'll all be rust buckets now ... any slight bump and bits of bodywork will fall off :lol:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 33 Posts