Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,910 Posts
that should be sent to the minister for transport, the Highways Aggy, your MP, the Daily Mail and even the new Pope! Its outrageous. Just like the captions say 'Road Tax?' bloody con.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
To be fair, the local council here has shown good utilisation of limited funds. The pot-holes are all off-line... so not an immediate danger to alloy... and they've waited until the whole road has fallen apart so they can fix a lot of holes in one visit.. :D

Ralf S.

·
Registered
39,154 Posts
Twice in the last two weeks I have nearly been driven into by other drivers trying to avoid potholes.

One of them was nearly a head-on.

Potholes can kill people, and it is criminal that the government takes so much money off of motorists but does very little to maintain the roads.

Of course it has been going on for donkeys years hence why we are having problems now.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Twice in the last two weeks I have nearly been driven into by other drivers trying to avoid potholes.

One of them was nearly a head-on.

Potholes can kill people, and it is criminal that the government takes so much money off of motorists but does very little to maintain the roads.

Of course it has been going on for donkeys years hence why we are having problems now.
Be fair, someone's got to pay welfare costs (being sarcastic).

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
What's Vehicle Excise Duty got to do with potholes? :confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've actually got an active claim in with Glasgow City Council for suspension damage at the moment after hitting a very large hole not unlike those pictured.They have asked for bank details so looking promising. ;)

·
Registered
39,154 Posts
What's Vehicle Excise Duty got to do with potholes? :confused:
Vehicle excise duty as it is now known used to be used to fix the roads. Now they steal it off of us and spend it on other things.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Vehicle excise duty as it is now known used to be used to fix the roads. Now they steal it off of us and spend it on other things.
It hasn't been ringfenced for roads maintenance since 1937.

You might as well complain about income tax, value added tax and any other fooking tax the govt takes for not repairing the roads....

Wish people would get this into their heads.

·
Registered
39,154 Posts
I think you are missing the point.

We spend money to use the roads in the form of excise duty, fuel tax, insurance and MOT, as well as VAT on new car purchases, we should expect them to be kept in a safe condition.

Those that don't have a car can avoid road related taxes if they wish, but income tax is another matter.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
I think you are missing the point.
Not at all.

We spend money to use the roads in the form of excise duty, fuel tax, insurance and MOT, as well as VAT on new car purchases, we should expect them to be kept in a safe condition.

Those that don't have a car can avoid road related taxes if they wish, but income tax is another matter.
Totally agree, however, there are still too many people who say ' I pays me road tax, why are the roads so crap?' when 'road tax' :rolleyes: does not go directly to maintaining the roads.
I'd be interested to see the difference between tax raised by VED and money spent on road maintenance. If it turns out that more money is spent on the roads than is generated by VED, that will blow a huge hole in peoples argument. If on the other hand it is the reverse, then obviously we as drivers should be more demanding for better upkeep of the roads.

·
Registered
39,154 Posts
I would be very suprised if the government spends anywhere near as much maintaining the roads as they take off of road users.

I read somewhere that it works out at about 25% but I cannot find anything to substantiate this.

One thing is for sure though, we are paying more and more to use roads which are getting worse. :(

·
Registered
674 Posts
I remember being flabbergasted by such driving when I visited Peru in the '80s.

Sad to say our roads have deteriorated to such an extent now that it is quite common here now.

·
Premium Member
3,507 Posts
I've actually got an active claim in with Glasgow City Council for suspension damage at the moment after hitting a very large hole not unlike those pictured.They have asked for bank details so looking promising. ;)
I think you'll find that this means you've just enrolled into their 'Sponsor a Pothole' scheme, :eek: - if you're quick, you should be able to cancel the monthly direct debit for your membership before the first payment comes off your account, :lol:.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts