Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, unpleasant news. On friday night, driving home from buying dinner, I hit a rather large pot hole, couldnt see it until too late.. Once i arrived home i looked at the tyre, and it looked fine. However I have sinced noticed that there is a bubble on the side of the tyre, see the attached photos.

Now obviously this tyre is going to need to be replaced, one more big pot hole and I will have a blow out. My question is, can I claim from the road accident fund for the damages, new tyre is going to be around R1 000? And if I can, has anyone got any experience with doing so? I am really annoyed, cause this tyre is only 10 000km old, and expensive to replace.

Attachments

·
Registered
665 Posts
Road accident fund...:cheese: You'll have more chance of getting Zuma to add your tyres to his child maintenance fund...haha.

Contact you normal short term insurance, if you lucky they have a tyre protection clause. I'm with SAU and they discontinued their paint protection and put tyre protection on all short term vehicle policys as of 1st Jan. I gotta do a claim cos I also got a nice bubble.

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
your bubble is a friggin bearing which has been driving me mad for 2 years..

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Well My friend has claimed from the RAF and it took two years before they paid out, but it wasn't for a pothole.
If you were to try claim from them I think you'd need a picture of the pothole aswell.

Your best bet is to try and claim from your insurance

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
well thats debatable

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Yep agree wiff Kev...

Lotsa peopl DO get paid if their case is plausible...but it takes TIME!

Rather buy the tyre or get insurance to get tyre...

So, hows the MiTo been treating ya?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Don't know about the RAF thing but you could try claiming from your local town council.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
call the muni and get the relevent peoples names, you see the thing is you can only claim for a pot hole if the following has been done prior to the incident.
1) reported to the muni 2 weeks prior by at least 3 people
2) have a full estimate from 3 places for replacement and lastly
3) be prepared to wait a minimum of 6 months....

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I definately expected any claims from the muni or the RAF to take a long time. I am not the only victim this pot hole has claimed. A friend has a C2 VTS and he ruptured his sidewall on this pot hole, and while he was putting his spare on, another 3 cars stopped, having ruined their tyres too. But not sure if this has been happening for more then 2 weeks.

I did get photos of the pot hole though, incased i needed them to claim. I will prob see about the insurance company, hopefully they can help.

Otherwise the Mito has been a star. No problems at all, until now. Love driving it. Only thing I wish is for better fuel consumption, but I think thats more my fault then the cars.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
At least its only that and your rims aren't messed, my cuz has his lovely magnezium wheels buckeled, all four by road works....

·
Registered
665 Posts
Problem is that the damage to the rim isn't visable to the naked eye, usualy if the tyre look like that then the rim will have a flat spot as well. Maybe very slight but still can cause ballancig issues.

·
Registered
846 Posts
ey, I shouldn't have read this thread last night because my wife used the alfa this morning and hit a pothole as well damaging two wheels...I can see there was nothing she could do as its a two lane with two hectic bends and there was a car next to her...
problem came in that I only have one spare wheel like normal people and therefore called everyone I knew that could help and murphys law(the day I meet murphy I'm gonna moer the blikslim so hard)everyone has a 5 stud wheel.
159iza came to my rescue...Joe, once again buddy thanx alot I really appreciate your assistance, will buy you a can of something at the next noggin...
so tomorrow I need to drop off the wheels and hopefully they'll have it sorted by friday afternoon so that I can rock up at the meet and greet with an alfa.

gonna claim from the municipality for this, took enough pictures so that they can see its their fault.

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
you can claim wheels fromt he iunsurance

·
Registered
123 Posts
hey guys,

I hit a pot hole this week. :mad:. so sad. :cry:.. bull**** actually... but anyhow, got a new tyre and the rim sorted out for like R1500.... :p

If you guys want info on how to claim, i got hold of a buddy in the traffic department and he gave me some lekker info.

If you need a copy of the claim form and direct emails of the people that are suppose to handle the claims, just drop me a PM and I'll email you the details :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts