Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just drove down the mother of all potholes :(

Thought I got away with it but when the engine fan kicked in the whole car started shaking! After about 30 secs I heard something break and fall on to the road - not good :(

Pulled over as soon as I could to inspect. Everything appears as though it is still there, everything still works, nothing is leaking, car doesn't overheat.

Tried moving the fan/fan housing, its still securely attached to the car, nothing obviously broken but it shakes the whole car like a [email protected] when its operating.

Anyone had anything similar, or could at least hazard a guess at what's broken?

Im just glad its not something like an engine mount or gearbox (which is what I thought it was at first)!

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Mountings adrift?Fan off-centre? Wouldn't of thought the shaft was bent. Needs the real diagnostic experts, but have to say something, don't I you lot.Snapped fan blade?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mountings adrift?Fan off-centre? Wouldn't of thought the shaft was bent. Needs the real diagnostic experts, but have to say something, don't I you lot.Snapped fan blade?
All the blades are still there (I had the same thought as you - missing fan blade unbalancing it). Im at a loss because there is nothing obvious, although something has become detached.

To the stealers it is then :(

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Suppose if you were so inclined, you could take the motor and fan off, and bench test it with a 12v direct supply.Hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Mate do a search for 'pothole', I posted a link to a website last week that has info on how to claim against the council for this.

:)

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mate do a search for 'pothole', I posted a link to a website last week that has info on how to claim against the council for this.

:)
Cheers GD - unfortunately im in Luxembourg and only speak pigeon French - council idea is out the window :(

Im certain its a mount (somewhere) its just the fact that everything looked OK which puzzles me, for the amount of vibration its making you would expect it to be hanging off the car!!

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Aw, didn't spot that, ah well, hope nothing else comes adrift because of the potholing :(

·
Registered
111 Posts
My guess is that you've lost the balance weight off the fan itself.

Mine has just one, clipped on one blade. But if you imagine what happens if you lose a wheel balancing weight, it's the same principle.

The fan itself is plastic, so fairly light, but flying around at the sort of RPM they do, you only need a small imbalance to set the thing vibrating. Coupled to the fact that it's bolted squarely onto the front of the engine compartment and it would rattle your teeth out in no time.

Take a careful look at each blade in turn, I bet you find a small 'clean' patch that gives the game away.

Just how you get the fan re-balanced is whole other question. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Blakie

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Thats a really good theory Blakie.Must admit in the past I have seen it used , but think it was only on axial fans, could be wrong though, so your idea is food for thought. Maybe try a dollop of something,probably fly off, or chop a few stick on wheel weights about, or the old clamp on type, snicking bits off or whatever.Difficult I would think to get it in balance though.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
You haven't maybe lost a wheel weight or something?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mine has definitely got a balance weight, I went and checked as soon as I read the thread.

If it vibrates when the car is stationary it's the fan. If it only happens when the car is moving, it's either a wheel weight or you've buckled a wheel. Alloys are really easy to buckle, the wider the wheel, the easier it is to do.

Let's hope it's the weight :)

Blakie

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fixed it!

Along the top of the rad there is a gasket (that's what EEPER calls it anyway) that secures the rad to the slam panel with 4 plastic clips.

All four had come unhooked and 1 was missing (guessing thats what the thing was that fell off). Hooked the 3 others back on and its sorted :).

Good enough as a temporary fix and whole new 'gasket' from Alfa is only £11.

Thanks for the suggestions with the weights - I checked these and they all appear to be in place, there are 2 or 3 small ones on mine.

FAO: Blakie. Sorry I didnt reply to your PM, glad you managed to get hold of the manuals.

Thanks all

Case closed! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts