Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The forum used to be set to show all new messages since your last visit, and if you never read all the "NEW" messages on your visit to check a PM or something other than reading the posts, on our next visit, it would not highlight these new posts anymore, even though they had not been read!! (As soon as you left the forum, it marked all current unread posts as read)

The new system will only mark a thread as being read if you actually read it/enter the thread. This way you have less chance of missing important posts that may be of interest you. There is a cut off date of 10 days, tis means that if you are away from the site for 10 days, we will only store up to 10 days of threads that you have not read. Which says to me thats its 10x better ;)

I hope you will find this way far more useful?

Before you leave AO today, you may want to visit the quick links menu above and select "Mark Forums Read" to obtain a read all posts benchmark? (Not compulsory if you intend to read them all)

AO

·
Administrator
45,064 Posts
Another cracking idea. I'm not going to officially thankyou for this one though, don't want you getting a big head :D
(Thanks though)

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
has this got anything to do with why im getting 300 matches in the new post tab?

the reason i saying this is because normally when i come online and press the new posts tab i normally get about 90 new posts but today i am getting 300 and most of them are from before i last logged in:confused:

·
Administrator
45,064 Posts
Phil, if you want to, when you log out, declare all posts up till that point read, you can do so. In quick links (on Classic skin at least) there's an option for 'mark forums read'

·
Administrator
45,064 Posts
Alternatively, use the 'todays posts' tab instead, and it'll limit you to posts from the last 24 hours I think.

·
Administrator
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It should seperate them for you in to two tabs, one will say:

1) new posts / threads since last visit
2) The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts. (Posts you still have not read within last 10 days)

Ian

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I'm not too sure if this system is working properly. I'm receiving messages that there are unread post since my last visit, when in fact there isn't.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Gary Slegg said:
I'm not too sure if this system is working properly. I'm receiving messages that there are unread post since my last visit, when in fact there isn't.
Try marking all posts as read before you leave. (Quick Links>Mark Forums Read)

To manually read all threads you need to click on each thread and open it.

HTH :)

·
Registered
761 Posts
I much preferred the old system, basically the reason I do not look at a thread is because I am not interested in it, e.g. it may be diesel engine related. Now I have to read through the thread headers again to decide yet again that I am not interested in it.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I must confess, I think I prefered the old system, still, the new one might grow on me.

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
im now using the quick link to mark postrs as read and if you stay on top of it it works the same way as the old where you only get recent posts since the last log in or refresh! i like it already , good work peeps

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
sensingsys said:
I much preferred the old system, basically the reason I do not look at a thread is because I am not interested in it, e.g. it may be diesel engine related. Now I have to read through the thread headers again to decide yet again that I am not interested in it.
Before you leave, click the Quick Links, then choose Mark Forums Read, next time you visit, you won't see any posts from before your last visit, unless they're new or have been replied to in the mean time.

:)

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Thanks Ian - I think this is quite useful as I often missed good and relevant posts because of the old method. Well done.;)

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I must say, now I've got used to it I think I prefer the new system.

·
Administrator
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It can only be better as before if you visited the page for 2 seconds and then left for some reason, email or something, when you went back, every single post was marked as if you had read it.

I could add a "new post" link which would make it that little bit easier to use, maybe even display the amount of unread posts. I will do some thinking/testing

I will see what I can do.

Ian

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Think of it this way...when you're surfing in work and the boss walks up, rather than close the window and worry about losing all the unread posts, you can now happily revisit when the boss has trundled off and you won't be missing a thing.

;)

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
Its was a bit confusing at first as I thought my posts were being removed :(

But what I and probably others really want is the AO shop....

This is a great and well run site, and you kind of wish you could put something into the coffers to help out....without sending money!!

Where if the shop was up and running selling spares, t-shirts, banners and other such paraphernalia, we could put something in more directly as profit.:)

Chris

1 - 20 of 25 Posts