Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember the old days...

You would stick a stamp on a letter. If was a bit bigger you would weigh it and stick two or three stamps on it.

Now I have got this template thing in the office and I offer the letter up against it for length and width.

Then I see if it will post through the little cardboard letterbox cutout on the template for thickness.

Then I weigh it.

Then I stamp it.

Then I go down to the sorting office and pay excess charges for all the post that has come understamped because of this damn fool system.

:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
864 Posts
Probably more 21st century health and safety nutcase nonsense.

If the postie were to damage his back by lifting that extra 6 grammes of excess baggage in your letter he could sue for compo. :thumbs:

"Have you had an accident, trip or fall at work in the last three years?"

"Yes I lifted a heavy envelope and suffered whiplash as a result. Now I can't play golf with my friends and it has left me feeling lonely, depressed and stressed. Any chance you could get me about five grand? Cheers."

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
I had to pay a surcharge of £1:50 on a letter ( Birthday Card ) sent to me recently, as the sender had only put a 1st Class stamp on it, and it didn't cover the cost !!!!!!.......:confused:

·
Banned
1,823 Posts
Its completely stupid. Royal Mail are complaining that they aren't making enough money so they raise prices and make sending letters near enough impossible unless you have a degree in madness and wonder why even more people aren't using their service.:confused:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
We sent out aroud 50 wedding invitations latley and whilst small in width and lengh and also light we thought we would take them to the PO and notr just stick first class stamps on as we had some intewrnational ones to send as well.

When we got to the PO we asked for 50 ist class stamps and he said let me have a quick look. the invites had a small bow on the front that made it a tight squeeze to put it through the thickness tester so we were charged 1st classs large rate for what are essentially post card sized and light items.

They have made it very complicated and as a result it means that people are having to go to the PO to send things instead of just buying a book of stamps at the corner shop. YThe PO's are closing down at a rate of knots but i allways expect a good wait when i go to our local one.

I think the rise in Ebay postage was a factor in starting this, as lots of things are posted in jiffy bags and/or bubble wrap

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I phoned the post office when they introduced this and told them it was barking.

The lady I spoke to said I would have to 'live with it'

Is it me?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
We get loads of cards into the office from the PO asking us to pay excess charges on letters sent to us but with incorrect postage - almost always mix up with the 1st class and 1st class large. A4 size is large bit if you fold it in half it sneaks into normal 1st class.

·
Super Moderator
22,995 Posts
It gets worse.

I went into the Post Office in Bury St Edmunds (Suffolk). It is still a Post Office, nothing else. Bought some stamps and wanted to post a letter - there is no post box there - well there is but it is boarded up. I asked and was told to go across the street and post it in a post box. But, but, but .......this is a POST OFFICE. No way would they take it.

H

·
0 Posts
Just you guys wait until it gets privatised. You aint seen nothin' yet :lol:

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Just you guys wait until it gets privatised. You aint seen nothin' yet :lol:
yep, buying a stamp will be as complicated as buying a train ticket

do you want a early riser, first class, second class, day saver, student rate, business class, econmy class, an off peak, return, senior citizen rate or child rate?

and do you want chuffin' fries with that :mad::mad::rant:

H

·
0 Posts
yep, buying a stamp will be as complicated as buying a train ticket

do you want a early riser, first class, second class, day saver, student rate, business class, econmy class, an off peak, return, senior citizen rate or child rate?

and do you want chuffin' fries with that :mad::mad::rant:
And chances are, your mail won't even get to where it's going :lol:

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Yes I totally agree with all the comments on this thread. The postal system is a joke. Standard recorded delivery? Do what? I challenge anyone on here to pay the extra 60p or so to send a letter by recorded delivery and then check that it has been delivered. I bet you that the message comes back "we are unable to verify delivery" or something like that. Standard recorded delivery just doesn't happen. Special Delivery is a lot better, but even then I have received packets just pushed thru the door. On one occasion I chased the postie and demanded to sign the form. He was very embarrassed because he had already forged my signature! He said that he was under so much pressure timewise he couldn't afford to wait and knock on my door.

The whole country has gone to the dogs. Postal and train services especially.

·
Registered
764 Posts
We sent out aroud 50 wedding invitations latley and whilst small in width and lengh and also light we thought we would take them to the PO and notr just stick first class stamps on as we had some intewrnational ones to send as well.

When we got to the PO we asked for 50 ist class stamps and he said let me have a quick look. the invites had a small bow on the front that made it a tight squeeze to put it through the thickness tester so we were charged 1st classs large rate for what are essentially post card sized and light items.

They have made it very complicated and as a result it means that people are having to go to the PO to send things instead of just buying a book of stamps at the corner shop. YThe PO's are closing down at a rate of knots but i allways expect a good wait when i go to our local one.

I think the rise in Ebay postage was a factor in starting this, as lots of things are posted in jiffy bags and/or bubble wrap
I trade on ebay and this has been a nightmare, not only do you have to check weights, you now have to check sizes too. I'm lucky in that I use a small sub post office who are glad of the trade I give them, so they do it all for me.

But with all the extra revenue they are getting from ebay sellers the prices should be going down if anything - how did they make any money before they have the extra millions that ebayers have made them? Apparently the excuse they made for this two tier pricing system was that many countries charge this way. So what? That doesn't mean they have to do the same!

I wouldn't mind if the service was half as good as it used to be. I still have a claim ongoing from 5 months ago for a £300 item I apparently signed for but never received from Parcelfarce. They're now "looking into it", but originally told me I was too late to claim after fobbing me off for weeks on the phone.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
in their defence, I must say our postman is great, but then he does live in the next road, the problem comes when he is on holiday and they use agency staff who do not give a monkeys

D

·
0 Posts
I just don't post anything ever. I also avoid banks as much as I possibly can and anything that involves inbreds.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Why is it that for every really good thing (bank cashpoints for example) there are 10 things that are disappearing up their own posterior in complicatedness?

:mad:

·
Super Moderator
44,774 Posts
I challenge anyone on here to pay the extra 60p or so to send a letter by recorded delivery and then check that it has been delivered. I bet you that the message comes back "we are unable to verify delivery" or something like that.
Had exactly this happen when returning a faulty item to a dodgy seller. the website never updated, and Royal Mail took just long enough to get their finger out that Paypal were able to claim I'd taken too long to respond, making the whole process incredibly complicated.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts