Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have lived in Manchester for eight years now whilst my family live in South West Wales.

Every Christmas I make the 200 mile journey to Pembroke which is always a pleasure. Motorways give way to dual carriageways, which in turn lead on to fast and straight A roads with great visibility interspersed with roundabouts to blast around and slingshot out of. These roads bring you onto curling roads wrapped around the mountains of mid Wales and leading down into the valleys snaking left then right and suddenly angling in sharp hairpins; like something straight out of the pages of 'Evo'! From here it is on to challenging, undulating A roads cutting through the hills and down to the coastal roads, eventually arriving in the bustling metropolis that is Pembroke.

The drive is nothing short of spectacular both in terms of the views en route and more importantly the opportunities for pushing your car to the limit and testing its all round ability. Over the years I have covered the journey in a number of different performance orientated motors which gives me good grounds to compare the performance of my motors past and present when under duress.

The drive home for Christmas was the first time I have made the journey in my GT JTDm since having the modifica mod done by Mangos.

Whatever your view on the mod itself, you really can't argue with the results. The car now surges forward with real conviction in third and fourth gear in particular and overtaking the obligatory landrover or plodding sunday driver becomes a simple exercise that takes mere seconds before you are clear and forging ahead again at the proper speeds that such fine roads demand.

I don't think I have ever done the journey in a car that has provided such all round performance and simply proven so effective at covering ground at high speed, despite having done the trip many times in cars boasting higher power outputs than my oil burning GT.

Once I had broken through the snow despite the wet roads the car gave me the confidence to really push on. I have never driven anything that feels so planted and solid on the road. Minimal body roll, little dipping of the bonnet under heavy braking and no tail movement gives you enormous confidence in the twisties. As you enter each bend you control your entry with progressive braking, drop the box down a notch or two, hook the car into the corner feathering the throttle and then blast out once the apex is reached, the car surging forward more like a turbo charged petrol than a conventional common rail diesel with their typically narrow torque curve.

The only complaint is that the increased power output only further highlights the inadiquacy of the brakes. As it happens i seem to have destroyed the brake pads with my antics on the way down, so methinks some Ferrodo performance pads are in order once I am home!

Drives like this really bring home to me how great this car really is on the road and make me question why i would want to change it for anything else, particularly given the trip averaged 43 MPG over the journey despite me spanking her the whole way!

Say what you want about diesels and say what you want about the Mangos upgrade; my GT is now a seriously rapid motor on the open road that is brilliantly versatile and quite farcically economical even when being driven over great distances at full chat!

Whether you are in the remapping camp or considering the Mango's power mod, I urge any GT JTD owners considering lifting their cars power outputs in either way to just get it done. My car has been utterly transformed.

Just a shame I will now have to take it easy on the way back due to my new found lack of brake pads!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
(I don't often venture over in this bit:)) but great write up James, I feel like I've driven there now too:cool:
Have you tried Performance Friction pads, if not, well worth the money.:thumbs:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
:thumbs: always great to get out and actually "drive" the car (all too often we're stuck in rush hour traffic) upping to power really does transform these cars into what they are truely meant to be :thumbs:

just glad your turbo didn't blow up on the way

^^^ :lol: sorry couldn't resist myself ;)

J

·
0 Posts
Hi James. Glad you had a great drive. You need to pop in next time you are about. Have something you might like.
Ken's demo just got better. All the best John.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Say what you want about diesels and say what you want about the Mangos upgrade; my GT is now a seriously rapid motor on the open road that is brilliantly versatile and quite farcically economical even when being driven over great distances at full chat!

Whether you are in the remapping camp or considering the Mango's power mod, I urge any GT JTD owners considering lifting their cars power outputs in either way to just get it done. My car has been utterly transformed.

Just a shame I will now have to take it easy on the way back due to my new found lack of brake pads!
You naughty boy James, you been spanking the GT again, and making your brakes all steamy :p Get some nice big red 4 pots up front :thumbs:

Good write up fella, and can only echo your experiences about how transformed the cars are once breathed on (In our case by John) :D

Hi James. Glad you had a great drive. You need to pop in next time you are about. Have something you might like.
Ken's demo just got better. All the best John.
I'm hoping you might have something I might like soon :lol:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi guys,

Sorry for late reply, not been on for a bit.

Mr Smith - I believe I will have the pleasure of a closer look at your beast at the end of the month? Not heard of those pads, might have a google for some now and see how they compare to the Ferodo performance pads. Need to get something ordered sharpish.

Chris, you are absolutely right, nothing helps you reconnect with your car like a spell of 'proper' driving on good roads. When all you are doing day in day out is commuting along busy city centres and motorways, it is nice to blow the cobwebs away and remember what it feels like to actually DRIVE.

Glynn - the mod is an in-house modification from Mangoletsi, a large Alfa Romeo dealership in Knutsford. I'll let you do a search and make your own mind up when you have done some of your own research. No complaints from me so far.

John - you are a bad influence on me! I have just been stung for near £800 for my insurance renewal so might be a few months before I can throw more money at the car! (ha ha says the man upgrading to performance brake pads and putting her on the rolling road at the end of the month, whoops) She is due a service actually too - I'll PM you matey!

Would love the big red Brembos Mikey but a bit hesitant to spend too much more on this car as she is getting a little long in the tooth now at 36k on the clock. I am finding it hard to justify spending another £6k to trade up to a 159/ Spider/ Brera 2.4 though so might sit pretty with the GT for a while longer, in which case I think suspension would be my next priority, then maybe the big brake conversion if funds permit and the outlook at work continues to be good. You can work on me over a pint!

Looking forward to the gathering at the end of the month gents. :)

·
Vendor
46,264 Posts
a bit hesitant to spend too much more on this car as she is getting a little long in the tooth now at 36k on the clock.
Sorry, I think you missed the '2' off the front there, when you meant to write getting long in the tooth at 236k.. ;)

:lol:

Seriously, the engine will be better at 136k than it is now, just keep on changing the oil & cambelt regularly :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
36k long in the tooth :lol: what ya like :p

My last car with that very same engine had done nearly 80k, running circa 220+ bhp, driven like your trip (to where the sheep are nervious land) every week, and I still reckon she was fit enough to do the same mileage all over again :D Great engines :thumbs:

Yep if that little beauty was mine, i'd deffo do the suspension, brakes and FMIC if funds permitted :D (whispers reworked turbo too, but ssshhh don't tell anyone that we know a man that can)

Mmm beer... I mean our little gathering...yes indeedy... be there or be square :cool:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Nice write up James! :cool: Always good to find somewhere to push the car. Getting rarer these days to find stretches of road that you're able to do it.

whose round is it? Hunters?
It's about time I bought you a pint :thumbs:

I thought Yorkshire men had short arms and long pockets!? :p:lol:
Big arms and heavy right feet... :p;)

Anyway, I'm adopted. A missionary if you like. :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts