Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Possibly Time For A New Mobile Phone

29K views 409 replies 35 participants last post by  TheGrimJeeper 
#1 ·
As mentioned elsewhere my current mobile is possibly due for retirement, so it's time to consider it's replacement. I'm currently on a sim only 30 day contract with Meteor & I've no intention of signing up to a different provider so I'll probably be buying the phone outright.

At the moment I have a Windows Phone, however as WPs haven't really taken off I think the next phone will be android based, so time for some questions before I change platform :

1. I currently use Outlook, I presume I'll still be able to use that & the calendar function will sync ?
2. My WP allows me to edit & sync windows docs using OneNote Online & Word etc with OneDrive/SkyDrive, what's the alternative to this on Android ?

I'm in no rush to get to get a replacement but I had a quick look in a few phone shops yesterday. I was considering the Sony Xperia M4 Aqua but I was advised against that by a few people.

I'm now considering a Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime

Any advice from the good people of AO ?

More questions to follow ;)

See less See more
#2 ·
If you are using an Exchange server to get your mail then the Android mail client will integrate with the calendar. I don't know what happens if your mail doesn't use Exchange.

There are official versions of Word, Excel, OneNote etc for Android. To sync to OneDrive I think you'll need an Office 365 subscription.

#4 ·
Check out Vaio, recently spun out of Sony to a venture capital group.
They launched a W10 phone recently.

For Android, check out the budget Brit firm WileyFox or wait for
Blackberry to reduce the price of the Priv.

Plenty of Android mail apps to choose from.

And as Po'P says, MS have released a whole Office suite
on Android now.

#6 ·
I've been happy enough using WP until now but I think it's time to switch, it's unfortunate that there's still the continuing lack of app support.

I've also had a look at the Vodafone Smart ultra 6 It seems to get very good reviews, I was told it's an equivalent spec to a Samsung S5 but without the price tag, it's supposedly more or less a rebranded ZTE Blade S6 Plus. These phones are getting way too big though :eek:

#17 ·
I've been happy enough using WP until now but I think it's time to switch, it's unfortunate that there's still the continuing lack of app support.

I've also had a look at the Vodafone Smart ultra 6 It seems to get very good reviews, I was told it's an equivalent spec to a Samsung S5 but without the price tag, it's supposedly more or less a rebranded ZTE Blade S6 Plus. These phones are getting way too big though :eek:

I got the smart ultra 6 last week. I unlocked it with a £2 ebay code too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#9 · (Edited)
Better times are coming for Windows Phones, Windows 10 Mobile is out on the Lumia 950, 950 XL, 550. The roll out of the new software is happening soon... OEM's are bringing out mid-range decent spec'ed phones, Contiuum for the higher end windows phones is a big plus point. I'm going back to my Nokia Lumia 625 today after the battery was fixed, my NL 625 now doesn't charge. I have now ordered a new Microsoft Lumia 640 XL LTE on MTN.

#15 ·
Better times are coming for Windows Phones, Windows 10 Mobile is out on the Lumia 950, 950 XL, 550. The roll out of the new software is happening soon... OEM's are bringing out mid-range decent spec'ed phones, Contiuum for the higher end windows phones is a big plus point. I'm going back to my Nokia Lumia 625 today after the battery was fixed, then I'm ordering a new Lumo green Nokia Lumia 930 on Saturday.
Regardless of new software etc., there's still the ongoing issue of a lack of app support from developers, which is unfortunate as I actually like my WP but it is limited & having to use Zune to access the phone doesn't help either.

#10 ·
How about this:

CPU: Quad Core 1.3GHz
Screen: 5.5" 540x960 QHD IPS
Network: GSM/GPRS/EDGE 900/1800MHz/WCDMA/HSPA 900/2100MHz
Connectivity: Bluetooth 3.0, Wi-Fi, 3G
Independant GPS: A-GPS
Camera: 8MP + 2MP
Memory: 8GB + Micro SD up to 32GB
RAM: 1GB
Battery: 2200mAh
Size: 155.5mm x 76.3mm x 8.6mm
Weight with Battery: 145g

or this?

CPU: Quad Core 1GHz
Screen: 5" 720x1280 HD
Network: 4G LTE/800/2600MHz
GSM/GPRS/EDGE 900/1800MHz
WCDMA/HSPA 900/2100MHz
Connectivity: Bluetooth 3.0, Wi-Fi, 4G
Independent GPS: A-GPS
Camera: 13MP + 2MP
Memory: 8GB + Micro SD up to 32GB
Battery: 2150mAh
Size: 143mm x 71.2mm x 7.9mm
Weight with Battery: 110g

I'm going to get one soon for a hundy quid - #cuddengivaschitabouttheshiny

#12 ·
Galaxy Grand Prime

CPU: Quad Core 1.2 GHz
Screen: 5" 540 x 960 (qHD)
Network: don't actually know what this means
Connectivity: Bluetooth 4.0, Wi-Fi, 4G
Independent GPS: A-GPS
Camera: 8MP + 5MP
Memory: 8GB + Micro SD up to 128GB
Battery: 2600mAh
Size: 145mm x 72mm x 8.6mm
Weight with Battery: 156g

Pretty comparable on all fronts?

#21 ·
I had a Galaxy Grand Prime to play with on Saturday, some things I liked about it, some things I prefer on my current WP.

OneNote & Word etc all worked fine & could be edited & synced. Outlook calendar & contacts synced, but details missing from contacts, also contacts not visible in phone book but only within Outlook. Email from all accounts synced using either dedicated app or general email app. There were some other things also but I'm sure there's probably solutions available out there to resolve or get around any of the issues I had.

If I've time this week I'll try to have another look at the Vodafone Smart ultra 6.

#46 ·
#31 ·
I find these days if you ask for advice for what mobile phone to buy it's a bit like asking for advice on which car to buy. The only down side to buying a phone is you can't really test drive them. And like me and most of us on a contract if you pick wrong phone you're stuck with it for 2 years now!
Bring back 12 month contracts!! :thumbup:

I'm going to offer no advice