Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Can anyone recommend a good battery for my 08 2.4 JTDM 159 please? Do I need to spend more than £50-£60? I'm getting the dreaded struggling-to-start, turning over problem and with it not getting any warmer any time soon, i thought it a good time to change the old battery!

Thanks as always for your help guys.

Fraze

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Would anyone know if the Yuasa 'YBX3110 12V 80AH 720A' is okay?

Fraze

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I have the same problem and decided to buy a new battery, Yuasa battery was on my list but I have been looking at an outfit call "The Battery Guys". I thought I might push the boat out and buy the biggest badass battery they had.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
One thing I noticed while looking at my existing battery is that it is too small and wanders around the tray. It is an approved size but obviously needs some kind of supports.

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Battery is to be with Euro poles ( plus right, deep ) layout,
sizing
175 mm, width max,
190 mm height max,
length depends upon capacity but limited by battery tray.
About 65Ah/250mm/14++kilos, 75Ah/280mm/17++kilos, 85Ah/310mm/20++kilos, 95Ah/350mm/23++ kilos.
If your car is real estate ( impossible to get rid off fast ) I would also stay with maintenance friendly battery makes possible to open cells to add water for longer life...
:thumbup:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the same problem and decided to buy a new battery, Yuasa battery was on my list but I have been looking at an outfit call "The Battery Guys". I thought I might push the boat out and buy the biggest badass battery they had.
Ha ha! Did you decide on which 'badass yet Phil?

P

·
0 Posts
I have the Varta AGM F21 80Ah 800A with the max. measurment for the battery tray.

Very good battery for my 2.4.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Changed my battery the other month, I pay £80/90ish I think with a Halfords trade card. I know Halfords are expensive but with the trade discount I got a battery with the spec I wanted at a internet price.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went for this one in the end;

Varta Silver F18 (Type 110) Car Battery 5 YEAR WARRANTY - 85ah 800cca

Thanks for all your help chaps,
Fraze

·
Registered
656 Posts
Changed my battery the other month, I pay £80/90ish I think with a Halfords trade card. I know Halfords are expensive but with the trade discount I got a battery with the spec I wanted at a internet price.
I did the same here; brought one of their 4yr warranties batteries trade and got it for about £85; it lasted 4 years and 2 weeks!!!
To their credit they swapped it out for a new one foc without a quibble. It's a 09 car and on battery number 3 now (wherever she may be as sold).
These cars are pretty mean on their batteries do don't skimp too much.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So Interestingly I left the car for about 24 hours and it struggled to start again..?
It turned over a bit better than before, but still struggled to eventually start.
Could the starter motor be on the way out as well..?

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Have you ever seen ABS not avail. symbol when start ???... It shows battery not enough.
Have you ever measure eventual Amps run ???... It may help understand what is going on if any.
How old is your present battery ???... 2008 is to be replaced though.
Starter is pretty reliable. This depends on mileage.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Maybe there is a leakage current flowing when the car is off?
If you have access to a current clamp meter measure the current trough one of the 2 leads to ensure no system in the car is drawing an excessive amount of current which drains the battery when the car is off,
You can also do this with an multimeter Adc mode and put in series with one of the 2 leads but make sure not to start the car since they are fused at 10A.
Current when the car is off should be in the order of mA's (alarm, radio memory, ecu memory)

Could be also the alternator, if you start the car and measure the voltage on the battery it should be >13V since this would mean its charging the battery and this gives confidence that it is working properly.

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Ampermeter is to be put in cut of circuit. In line in fact. Not parallel.
Is it the same English mean to put it in series as has been told above.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I went for this one in the end;

Varta Silver F18 (Type 110) Car Battery 5 YEAR WARRANTY - 85ah 800cca

Thanks for all your help chaps,

Fraze

nice battery, with that cca value you can start your car even in siberia :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Siberia has its own features to bear in mind than start the car.
5W40 engine oil get frozen at -25"C
If you are a sportsman using SeleniaRacing with 10W60 it stops at -20"C.
If you use 15W50 to reduce oil use if any this stops at -15"C.
So, if you try to start engine with frozen oil with high 800 cca, you would definitely fire starter.
:biglaugh:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ampermeter is to be put in cut of circuit. In line in fact. Not parallel.
Is it the same English mean to put it in series as has been told above.
With in series i mean indeed in line.

Regarding battery, i installed a Bosch S5 008 (77Ah, 780A peak current) 2 months ago.
Here in the Netherlands its quit cold now and it starts good.
Also it fits nicely in the battery tray and it has the correct height for the bracket.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have you ever seen ABS not avail. symbol when start ???... It shows battery not enough.
Have you ever measure eventual Amps run ???... It may help understand what is going on if any.
How old is your present battery ???... 2008 is to be replaced though.
Starter is pretty reliable. This depends on mileage.
Yeah it does. Even over night the new battery seems to struggle to start and all hell breaks loose on the dashboard! Argh! I've not measured the amps? What about volts..?

I had some HiD lights fitted a few months ago, could it be those draining some power..?

Thanks again troops,
Fraze

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Battery may still have a volts but be not enough to crank motor.
I would check for eventual Amps leakage.
Close the car with central lock with opened bonnet. Watch for alarm if any reacts for bonnet opening.
Disconnect strap from negative pole of the battery.
Connect Amps- meter in line between strap and negative battery pole.
Better use so called crocodile clamps for amps- meter since you need to wait some time for ECU go "sleep".
0,1Amps and lower it is OK. Next actions to be proceeded depends upon measurements.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts