Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

So my 156 which decided to break down on every test drive has been diagnosed with a 'possible' overheating ECU:

After driving the car for a while it would flash false alarms and cut out. Refusing to start.
*after this the engine light flashes rapidly and a fast clicking is heard from the engine - throttle body?

An ECU reset clears the fault but it returns after a while...

Is it easy to replace the ECU and key chips?
ECU can be had for sub £200 with 2 key chips... +2 hours work from me (I'm a novice)

**OR, A mate needs a temporary car: a workmate had the exact same problem with a french motor, but had this novel fix: route an air pipe from the grill to the ECU with a PC fan attached to the ECU side! his car has run fine since!!!

which is the best option? has anyone had similar and tried the air cooler fix for the ECU?

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
We can do you an ecu thats plug and play to your own code box,(just direct replacement,5 minutes)
Give us a call ,if interested:)

G

·
You say the codes have been reset, what were the fault codes to be exact?

It smacks of a typical crank position sensor failure to me which would definitely explain the failure to start when hot.

Do a forum search for full description and comprehensive repair procedures of crank position sensor issues... You will soon see comparisons.;)

I have never ever come across such a case of an overheating ECU before????:rolleyes:
but if that is what it needs after all avenues of fault finding have been exhausted, then Alfatuner is your guy.;)

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys,

*I can't get the codes, I've tried 2 dongles and laptop and my phone, I can't connect to the car at all :( I should just try again after another reset perhaps... when the ECU thinks its fine again? I didn't want to lose the codes so I've not reset the ECU this time

I did a couple old threads many months ago when the car first broke down, a new battery might have fried the ECU when cranking the car too long to get it started... NOT me! the mechanic told me I wasn't letting it crank long enough, lo and behold it did start after he cranked it for a short while longer in succession than me.

'overheating' ECU, I maybe have labelled this wrong, it only cuts out after a while of driving and 3 alfa indies have stated 'AH THAT'S THE ECU!' when I describe the problem, the smoking gun being: the engine light and electrical clicking from the engine bay while the dash lights are on - key position before ignition.

So how hard is an ECU swap? and the chips in keyfobs too? looks like bolts and the connectors?

·
Registered
62 Posts
can I just borrow this thread for a second and ask this:

I have a AR147 with faulty body ecu (not engine ecu). If I replace my body ecu with one from same car (same model, type, engine, gear) will my car start, or do I need to do some kind of reprogramming for body ecu?

Thanks a lot for the information!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chaps, having read a few crank shaft threads and it doesn't sound like it's this; as I have the engine light blinking and the rapid clicking noise from the engine - This is before I try to crank the engine, this is when the dash lights up during the usual system check. and random faults may appear on the infoscreen.
If I try to crank her she just doesn't start - that could be down to anything not feeding info to the ECU!

It sounds like I have 2 things to ponder:
1- ECU replacement...
2-Bad earth to the ECU? - although how could that clear with an ECU reset?

^mr tej, zdravo, sorry I have no clue but if you are lucky someone will set you straight soon

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
To me the rapid clicking sounds like the starter solenoid - a classic symptom of a flat batter (or a poor connection somewhere)

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am having trouble locating it without proper diagnostic tools! I am not at home for a start :)
No multimeter and was unable to connect to the ECU...
it was kind of coming from the middle/back of the engine block, I just can't tell, if the ECU reset fixes it for a time it can't be a dodgy connection, has to be an actual part that is failing, thus tripping out the engine after a while of running.

More head scratching or stumping cash to have someone actually pop over to check it!
anyone up for a visit to west london? worth a couple of pints or a curry!

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
I don't know what ecu you mean. Engine, abs or airbag. What's a "body" ecu?

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
listen to Alfa Tuner ! he knows his stuff !!!

·
Registered
8,918 Posts

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
The 147 has a separate ECU which controls most of the functions of the car other than the airbags and the engine. Its known as a body computer.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
The 147 has a separate ECU which controls most of the functions of the car other than the airbags and the engine. Its known as a body computer.
Does that negate the use of relays for those functions?

I suppose it's because of the can bus?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts