Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Been having some problems with my 159 2,0 jtdm lately.
My bella sometimes just stops. I suspected battery and grounding issues, but just replaced the battery, an added a second grounding cable from the battery, but it still stopps.

So today I checked with ECU scan again, and I found something that point towards ECU problems.
The Voltage on my new battery was 13V at MAR position, and 14.25V whith engine running, but ECUscan shows 12,2 volts in the ECU circuit at MAR position. (did not measure ECUpower whith the engine running.

NOTE FROM ECU SCAN: The voltage is measured at the ECU supply pins. If this value is significantly lower than the voltage measured at the battery then check the ECU power supply and ground Circuits for weak connections.

While doing the ECU scan I got the same error messages that comes up on the dashboard when the car stops while running, VDC/Hillholder not available.
So it looks like it my problem is related to electrical problems, not mechanical?

Could there be trouble with the ECU power?
Where can I find the ECU on my car 2,0 Jtdm?

Very glad for any assistance on this!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Aluminium ribbed housing of the ECU is sideways mounted in front of your battery.
There are 2 big connectors from the wiring harnass attached to it, facing the exhaust manifold. Check those two for any moisture inside, however this would be very uncommon. Did you ever powerwash your engine bay perhaps?

Be careful with re-assemblying as the pins are vulnerable and easy to damage if you put too much force to it. The connector should easily slide back when you use the lever to lock it into place.

Hope you will soon find a clear sign of cause for this.

...btw, did you wrap your car yellow or had it re-sprayed? Never seen a 159 in this outfit.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aluminium ribbed housing of the ECU is sideways mounted in front of your battery.
There are 2 big connectors from the wiring harnass attached to it, facing the exhaust manifold. Check those two for any moisture inside, however this would be very uncommon. Did you ever powerwash your engine bay perhaps?

Be careful with re-assemblying as the pins are vulnerable and easy to damage if you put too much force to it. The connector should easily slide back when you use the lever to lock it into place.

Hope you will soon find a clear sign of cause for this.

...btw, did you wrap your car yellow or had it re-sprayed? Never seen a 159 in this outfit.
Leo_NL I disconnected the ECU, and it actually looks like that solved it...
Have been driving it for three 1/2 hour trips now, and the car is running like clockwork:)
Knock on wood...

I spray painted my car Yellow 1 1/2 half years ago. I did it myself using a paint gun and plastidip.
I love the color, and it was only a long days work:) Plastidip is easy to remove, when you want the original paint back.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Good to hear ... will also knock on wood for you so you can enjoy hopefully without having to worry again.

Plastidip is something I thought is something usually used for alloys, never heard of it the way you did apply though. Anyway the yellow makes the 159 a striking appearance :happy: .... perhaps I should consider to do mine in the ice blue color from my former 156. Must be looking great driving in winter settings (with a lot of snow around) ...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to hear ... will also knock on wood for you so you can enjoy hopefully without having to worry again.

Plastidip is something I thought is something usually used for alloys, never heard of it the way you did apply though. Anyway the yellow makes the 159 a striking appearance :happy: .... perhaps I should consider to do mine in the ice blue color from my former 156. Must be looking great driving in winter settings (with a lot of snow around) ...
Hi! Plasti dip is BIG in the US. Did the whole car in one day including tape masking. Will change my color to blue soon too:) https://www.dipyourcar.com
Thanks for the tip regarding the ECU!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts