Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car cut out last week,would not start,took garage and code reader said camshaft sensor.replaced and ok for few days.code reader now points to ecu.wont start cold,but will with pushstart then its ok when warm.do i really need ecu or could it be minor electrical problem.runs fine when started,any advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Engine ECUs almost never fail but garages who don't really know what they are doing often claim its failed. I assume you meant crank shaft sensor rather than cam shaft sensor as cam sensor doesn't usually stop the car running plus you need to take the cam belt off to change it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes i did mean crank,i had engine overhauled 6months after buying it and when it runs its fine,very frustrating fault at moment as once its started its fine,but not starting in morning without pushstart,just wondering if it could be minor electrical fault,dirty contact,water ingress,ect rather than expensive repair,prepared to do work myself with some advice,thanks for feedback

·
Registered
946 Posts
I would get the codes read on either FES/MES or Alfadiag these may give you a better insight into what is wrong better than a generic code reader. I've had an ecu problem on my 156 v6, it showed multiple faults on FES, camshaft sensor, crank sensor, lambda sensor and purge canister switch. ECU and lock set off ebay cured it. One of the problems I had was starting the car, if I waited until all lights on the dash had gone out it started, if I was too impatient it wouldn't :confused: Italian/German electrics :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got different mechanic to look at recently fitted crank sensor and he removed seal and refitted crank sensor,so far car starts fine and runs fine,but will having no seal cause any further problems as it must ne there for a reason?

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
You probably do have a seal in there. Who ever originally changed it probably hasn't removed the old seal so when the new one was fitted there was 2 seals so it wouldn't read correctly. Now it's been refitted with "no seal" it will be reading correctly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Brilliant site this,actually acted on feedback from members an informed mechanic which resulted in problem getting sorted,knowledge that would normally result in expensive repairs avoided thanks to this site and its members.many thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts