Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

This caught my eye when trawling the classifieds. The mileage seems high (25k per year), but then the old adage is that motorway driving is far preferable to a lot of short journeys.

Used ALFA ROMEO 159 TI 2009 BLACK/BLACK LEATHER for sale - PistonHeads (Ref 1345272)

Apart from the usual checks (hesitation, stretched timing chain, and power steering rack), would you be put off buying a high miler even if it came with a decent service history ? I don't anticipate putting more than 8k miles per year on the car, but would it be better to wait for a low mileage example further down the line ? I can't quite get my head around the mileage, but there are few petrol Ti's on sale, and this looks in good nick. Would you ignore the mileage and buy on condition and history ? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
Just to add to your list of checks, if you get as far as a test drive, listen very closely for any whine from the gearbox. This is a known issue and can be potentially very expensive to sort.

105,000 miles and only 3 stamps in the book? I don't like the sound of an oil change every 35k. :(

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to add to your list of checks, if you get as far as a test drive, listen very closely for any whine from the gearbox. This is a known issue and can be potentially very expensive to sort.

105,000 miles and only 3 stamps in the book? I don't like the sound of an oil change every 35k. :(
Thanks, I missed the gearbox whine. I think it's an ex-company car and suspect it is missing some stamps rather than had a service only every 35k. It needs checking out though.

I do have the number of the service garage so will be giving them a call to check the history. If it really is one every 35k, then I guess it is best to walk. The seller has offered for the car to be checked at an independent mechanic, and that should give an idea of wear and tear, and how the car has been maintained.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts