Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Am new to driving and hence car maintainence so please forgive me if my question seems naive.

recently my friends battery was flat so he asked to use my car to jump start his. When he had successfuly started his car he removed the jump leads from his battery and then accidentally touched the ends, causing them to spark.

Is it possible this could damage anything on the vehicle?

Thanks

Alex

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Unfortunately, yes it can. Are you getting any odd symptoms???

You should always remove the leads one at a time (both ends) and definitely not touch the two clips together.

Better still ... don't use your car to jump-start anyone elses! And if you have flat battery, disconnect it completely and recharge it that way. Jumpstarting and recharging can always fry electronics.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply and your advice. There are no odd symptoms yet and its been 3 days now so i am hoping that this time i have been lucky?

Alex

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Looks like it .. if it had blown something, it probably would have showed up by now.

Next time ... attach the jump leads to his ear lobes if he does it again! ;)

R

·
0 Posts
I have jump started the spider several times in the past few months due to it being sat in the garage not going anywhere, and if you jump it properly it shouldn't cause any problems. Sequence should follow:-

1. Donor car with engine running, dead car with key removed.
2. Attach red (+ve) lead to donor car first, then to dead car.
3. Attach black (-ve) lead to donor car first, then to good earth point on dead car.
4. Try starting dead car after a minute or so, but don't try for longer than 2-3 seconds.
5. If it starts, happy days, if not leave a bit longer then try.
6. Once started disconnect black lead from dead car first, then donor car (making sure you don't touch anything).
7. Then remove red lead from dead car first, then donor car.
8. Take both cars for a run to top them back up (I try not to use anything electric for the first run to give a good charge).

Some people have posted ECU or key code problems after jump starting, but it hasn't happened to me yet, fingers crossed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts