Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - looking for advice for the above to run from the 12v socket. Reason is that I always go to my local Sainsbury's to check my tyres but........found out today that the petrol station shop has closed. All fuel sales are now card only and......they are charging 30p for air and again payment by card only. I don't mind 30p but to use my card for pennies is beyond belief. Hence....are compressors any good and any recommendations? Many thanks.

PS What is the word coming to?
PPS I don't half miss my Giulia.

·
Registered
7,752 Posts
The internals of many of the plug in compressors are very similar, if not the same. What is important is that, as symon says, the gauges are very inaccurate so buy yourself a good pressure gauge.
This is the type I use. Good quality fittings, it records the pressure and the button releases excess air if the pressure is too high.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,145 Posts
I have the same Ring unit. The gauge reads the same as my pressure guage.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I use the Michelin "cake"

It's huge, was fairly expensive but has worked for years. Pumps fast and seems fairly accurate. Downside is it's size. My nickname for it is appropriate as it's the size of a medium sized birthday cake 🎂

Also have a small USB charged compressor but it's frankly rubbish and belongs in the scrap. It's slow, weak and doesn't hold much power...

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
You could look at battery powered ones as well. There's a thing called the air hawk. At least you won't have the hassle of power cords and they might have more power than something running off the 12V off your car battery. A bit noisy, but I think anything that small is. If you have battery power tools (Makita, Dewalt etc) then see if they do a portable air compressor in their range. In theory you will already have compatible batteries so you just need the skin.

Or you can get a foot operated pump. Pump your tyres, and work out all in one convenient package.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I recently got a battery powered Milwaukee Inflator which is quite good and is accurate enough not to need a separate guage, which I used to use. It’s not cheap, but if you can share batteries and chargers with other tools it becomes a bit more reasonable.

I used to use a cheaper 12v plugin one from a German company called Heyner, but you needed a separate guage. I’ve still got it so from from a longevity perspective, it’s been great. I prefer the Milwaukee from a cordless convenient point of view though but I would recommend Heyner as a cheaper alternative.

I’ve had the Heyner so long that the same model isn’t made anymore.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WOW....thanks for all the advice and suggestions. My initial research showed Michelin had good recommendations. I'm quite taken by the idea of cordless too. Thanks again for your wisdom (y)

·
Premium Member
8,215 Posts
I recently got a battery powered Milwaukee Inflator which is quite good and is accurate enough not to need a separate guage, which I used to use. It’s not cheap, but if you can share batteries and chargers with other tools it becomes a bit more reasonable.

I used to use a cheaper 12v plugin one from a German company called Heyner, but you needed a separate guage. I’ve still got it so from from a longevity perspective, it’s been great. I prefer the Milwaukee from a cordless convenient point of view though but I would recommend Heyner as a cheaper alternative.

I’ve had the Heyner so long that the same model isn’t made anymore.
I have the same Milwaukee...... Happy with it, fast and acurate :)

·
Registered
Panda 4x4 TwinAir
3,625 Posts
I've got a similar Ring one but the digital one, I've done away with the screw-on valve and replaced it with a clip-on style one, only complaint is it's not too happy once it gets over 36psi though.

I've also got a Makita cordless one that runs off the 18.0ah batteries, that's a right beast.

·
Registered
946 Spider LE, Giulia Veloce, Stelvio Speciale
720 Posts
I use Halfords own brand. Used it for 5 years with no issues, I also use a hand held tyre pressure gauge same as armoore to double check the accuracy. I find the Halfords compressor is pretty accurate, better than the TPM systems in any car I have had which often show wrong values.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
This is the one I've got:

Decent quality, powered by a rechargeable battery so no cables trailing around when using it.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
IMO problem with battery stuff is it's a bit of extra micro managing to think about.

Can leave a 12v one in the boot and it'll never run out if you're caught short away from home.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
IMO problem with battery stuff is it's a bit of extra micro managing to think about.

Can leave a 12v one in the boot and it'll never run out if you're caught short away from home.
Mine can be run from either a 12v supply or the battery.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Yeah that's cool, wouldn't want a battery only one as it'll be that one time it's needed when it runs dry!!

·
Registered
40,020 Posts
The bit which usually fails on them after a couple of years is the compressor piston or barrel. My only concern with the battery ones is that you are paying more to begin with but not actually having more life from it.

But a price worth paying for not having to connect it to the 12v socket?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Thanks again and just to feed back....I'm considering one of these three. At he moment I'm keen on the dual recharge/12v socket Guild but any final comments, which might sway me, are welcome.

Guild Cordless, or Michelin Digital Tyre Inflator or Ring RTC 1000
I've no idea why the Michelin cake is black instead of grey now as the features appear exactly the same. Fairly basic but it does all that's asked of it.

I'm sure there's cheaper than the Argos price too!

The Ring and Michelin ones have better connectors, the snap on ones are a bit fiddly. The screw top ones tend to be easier to get on and off, especially in less than ideal conditions.

But again, be warned the Michelin cake is huge for what it does. No idea why they made it so big as most compressors are compact devices.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I bought a Michelin cake after recommendations on this forum, and find it great. As others have said, a screw fitting is far better than a snap connector too. Easier to put on, and easier to avoid leakage when disconnecting.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts