Registered
24,536 Posts
Very.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
18,225 Posts
my word! :eek:

i had to stop watching halfway through to let my concentration catch up with him and calm myself down a bit! he was flying for sure, and how hardcore does that car sound when bombing along and when changing down? For the first 40 seconds I thought 'hmm', the bam! bam! bam! and it just took off! :lol:

in the future, what is the ultimate time a car might be able to lap the 'ring? As cars get faster, there must be some tipping point where they're only then shaving tenths of seconds off rather than whole seconds? I wonder what the figure could be? Six mins, and thereafter, the time saved will be less? Just wondered :)

the vid is a great find :cool:

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
The new Nurburgring record.... for third fastest lap? :confused:

Radical SR8 went a second faster, 9 years ago....
Radical SR8LM went nine seconds faster in 2005...

Porker isn't bad though, for a slow 'un... :lol:

Stefan Belloff - Porsche 956 Group C racer has been fastest man alive around the 'Ring - 6'11.13 on the 20,832m course (that lot ^^ only travelled 20,600m) to take pole position in the 1000k Sports Car Race - 28th May 1983.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
my word! :eek:

i had to stop watching halfway through to let my concentration catch up with him and calm myself down a bit! he was flying for sure, and how hardcore does that car sound when bombing along and when changing down? For the first 40 seconds I thought 'hmm', the bam! bam! bam! and it just took off! :lol:

in the future, what is the ultimate time a car might be able to lap the 'ring? As cars get faster, there must be some tipping point where they're only then shaving tenths of seconds off rather than whole seconds? I wonder what the figure could be? Six mins, and thereafter, the time saved will be less? Just wondered :)

the vid is a great find :cool:
As you say, the margins will get tighter and tighter, until 10ths are being chipped away, and then hundredths. The margins will be such that the air temperature on the day will make the difference as much as the car and driver. At that point it will probably become a bit pointless because nobody will really give a **** whether a Porsche 1018 is 3 hundredths faster over 14 miles than a LalaFerrari, or a McLaren Mp3/CD/DVD/RW because they took it round when it was 18 degrees rather than 24 degrees.

We'll probably run low on fossil fuels before reaching the absolute limit and will have to start again with electric cars. Which will be a whole different ballgame because of the need to balance speed with conserving power to do a full fast lap.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
I think "the end" will come when someone has a major accident at 240mph and they put a stop to this nonsense.

The "lap time" is already pretty meaningless.. as above, cars that are barely useable on the road...

On the other hand.. always fancied a go on the 'Ring... just need something powerful enough (but not "major accident" fast...) to have a go in... :D

Ralf S.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts