Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All Alfiess.
I have a 1999 Alfa 156. 2.5 with the following problem.

When the car engine temp reaches 90 degree mark the engine dies.

Tests done -
Fuel pressure still there.
Idler sensor on fly wheel replaced as all techs told me this.
When the car is at 90 then I stray water through the radiator to cool and when the temp reaches just below 60 mark the card starts no issue and runs well but at 90 dies again.

I love this car but gonna //// explode .. please help :frown:

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Is it just as the gauge hits 90, or possibly just as the fan kicks in? Just a thought, but perhaps there's an electrical issue with the fan that pulls down the volts to the ECU and that kills it. Try pulling the fuse and/or relay that feeds the fan.

Other random thoughts,

ECU water temperature sender may be failing (I had one on a Rover V8 that was perfect cold, went open circuit around 50C then came good again).

Crank position sensor you've done, cam angle sensor possibly I suppose, although do they usually cause stalling??

My usual old refrain...but have you read the ECU for stored codes? Might be some clues to be had.

Sounds like it could be 'fun' to find this one.....a long time back, a chap I knew ran a small car dealership and he had a really nice 164 24V in. It was lovely...but would stall as you drove along. Loads of folk looked at it but no cure was ever found. Not the same symptoms you've got though.

·
Premium Member
7,298 Posts
is the 90 degrees via guage, or read out via OBD ?
On the 156, there are separate temp sensors for the guage and for the ECU ....

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Reading up sounds like a sensor issue, below 90deg (I.e cold), the car normally runs a default map, then moves to the sensors when at normal operating temps. So have a look at the likes of the MAF etc which would start feeding info to the Ecu

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts