Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,

For the past month or so ever since I was convinced I'd warped my discs I've been less than confident with their performance, fast road use usually results in the pads feeling very gritty and on the edge trailbraking into corners is now accompanied with a loud popping noise, almost akin to the bang you get when you hit a nasty pothole and slam the suspension turret.

Tonight on the way over the tops to my mum and dad's it happened again and I got a "Brake Fluid Low" warning on the dash computer. I continued driving a little less vigorously and pedal feel felt pretty much what it feels like when you cook your brake fluid on a track day, hard to push but with limited braking effectiveness.

Pulled over for a while outside a chippy for tea and set off again to find the brakes feeling a little spongey but working fine.

I know I need to uprate my brakes for the way I drive but what can I do in the meantime (other than slow down) to extend th life of the stock brembos and 305 discs.

Cheers

Sean

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I find it best when driving really fast...not to use the brakes at all! :eek:
Fortunately for me I live slap bang in the middle of the Pennines between Yorkshire and Lancashire with some of the best twisty undulating oddly cambered driving roads in the country right on my doorstep, I just can't help myself. :lol:

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Yes I think I may know a couple of them, they are great. I went to college in Huddersfield and my parents live in Lancashire, so driving back and forward was great. There are a few good ones for us softy southerners down here, but I do envy you some of the roads up there.:) :)

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I think I may know a couple of them, they are great. I went to college in Huddersfield and my parents live in Lancashire, so driving back and forward was great. There are a few good ones for us softy southerners down here, but I do envy you some of the roads up there.:) :)
The road in question tonight was the old road from Hebden Bridge to Keighley through Oxenhope, most fun :D

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Check to make sure that there is no fuild loss.... it does sound like there might have been presure lost?

I've had brake failure due to fluid loss... and it sounds similar to what's being described !!!

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
When your pads wear down those lovely four pot brembos push the pistons out further, there is a lot of fluid behind them so when braking hard with the front dipping the level in the reservoir is low tripping the low brake fluid warning sensor. It usually happens a couple of thousan miles before the pads are mullered. You can of course top it up but then when you change the pads and push the pistons back you will get fluid overflowing from the reservoir, unless you remove some first.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers All, car is in the garage o be looked at tomorrow, suffice to say I think the brakes need looking at but they had to do a 50 point turn to get it IN the garage as putting any lock on causes banging noises, I have to think driveshaft/diff lucky me I can get a Q2 if its the diff, even luckier me I drove it 35 miles to get it to the garage in that condition :wow:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts