Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Can someone advise on my issue please? I have a 1.4turbo 120bhp 2011 plate Giulietta.

I've had the car 2.5 years now and noticed poor traction on the front end. I purchased two new front tyres in October, they are Nexen N Fera SU4 whilst not the best, they have very good reviews for budget tyres.

My issue is traction, from stand still, especially pulling out of a junction I wheel spin/lose traction very easy. Tight corners and roundabouts I worry about touching that accelerator for the front losing grip and pushing me into the outer lane. Yes I do drive faster than the everyday driver, but I drive safe and feel that I can't really enjoy driving my car anymore.

My traction control comes on every drive, whether it's on a roundabout or pulling from a junction.

I drove a Skoda Yeti yesterday on a work business trip (600+ miles) and noticed a massive improvement with handling over my car.

Whilst the steering is responsive the traction is starting to make me think about giving her up which is a pity as I really like the car.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have the small diesel and even before it's map I've got loads more torque than you and I have to say that traction is not an issue. Had the car for 13months now.
I will say this though....good reviews or not regarding your tyre, mine had budget on when I bought her and the grip was improved three fold when I put continentals on the front. It got better again when I shod the rear with same.
Whilst im not an expert, the shocks might be shot too which would adversely affect the handling.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Agree with the tyre comment, although some will call it tyre snobbery. Also check the tracking, if its out it will make a huge difference, has on mine when its been out. Other issue is temperatures are very low at the moment and this to me makes a huge difference, as soon as temps go above 7-8 degrees, you will probably feel more grip.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I said budget, I was incorrect by saying that. They are definitely mid range but understand what you're saying also.

I have hit a few pot holes over time, so will get the tracking checked as a starting point.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I like it when the wheels spin and the light flickers on the dash and the car slips and wriggles. Wish it did it a bit more often as to be honest it's a little dull. Can't believe a skoda yeti is more fun though. That's a kick in the nuts for Alfa.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Why anyone would want to fit tyres that are less than the best beats me. It seems to me the OP is blaming the car for a poor choice of tyre. By all means get the tracking and suspension checked and if necessary get any adjustments/changes done and see if there is any improvement. Summer tyres are not going to give their best when the weather is cold. This is a review of the Nexen tyre as stated and even if it may be of a different size (different sizes of the same tyre can give differing results) it is a real world review.

"Keep in mind, these tires cost A LOT less than the popular name brand ones (Yokohama, Toyo, Bridgestone, Continental, etc.)

With that said, here's my review after putting ~2,000 kilometers on them with a 2017 IS200T.

Noise: 5/5
As quiet, if not quieter than the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. If you want quiet tires, these are great!

Dry: 3/5
If you're doing 150 kph + you will not feel safe with these tires. The control is close to none and by that, I was running nearly finished Bridgestone Turanza tires (OEM ones) and they handled better at that speed. However, if you're doing 40 kph over the speed limit, they're good, not great, and you'll see why in the next point.

Handling: 0/5
Pure crap. If you drive aggressively, steer away from these tires. Should you do any fast maneuvering, you're under the impression that the car will slide/spin out.

Wet: 2/5
I've gone 10 kph over the limit in the wet, I don't plan on testing past that, due to what I wrote about how they handle in the dry. This may sound bad, but you shouldn't be speeding in the rain, let alone, at all for that matter. Back to the point, 10 kph over the limit in the wet, and they did the job.

Treadwear: 5/5
They have ~2,000 kilometers on them and they still look like new. So far, that's a plus.

Overall Impression:
They're black, they're round and they hold air."
This poster goes onto to say this:-
- You don't do any abrupt maneuvers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have bridgestone turenzas all round and they loose traction in 1st 2nd and even 3rd if im really going but i have not had them long and although it has been dry its still been cold so i am expecting, sorry, hoping the warm weather will help improve traction

·
Registered
41 Posts
I feel my G is very keen to wheel spin when in d mode through 1/2nd and 3rd at times, I have a mix of tyres on my car, continental sport contact and p zero (they were on when i got it in December). Cornering doesnt seem like an issue, i have got a tuning box on mine so u suspect that may be the reason for the wheel spinning? Didnt get it in my 147 though with the same tuning box!

Maybe its a trait of the a car or like other have said a mixture of tyres/cold weather/suspension? Will look forward to seeing what mine is like in the warmer months, i do agree it is a pain how often the car wants to wheel spin!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Spinning tyres is not an absolute, except on pure ice.
There is always the option to learn how to adjust your driving to avoid this. Always keeping in mind that spinning wheels are always synonimous with loss of control.

Otherwise, and particularly if you have a tuning box, you need to heed the advice given above for better tyres, check/improve suspnsion, improve alignment.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
I have bridgestone turenzas all round and they loose traction in 1st 2nd and even 3rd if im really going but i have not had them long and although it has been dry its still been cold so i am expecting, sorry, hoping the warm weather will help improve traction
Jeep came delivered with Tur(d)ranzas. WHY?! :lol:

·
Registered
33,733 Posts
But now there’s a thread entitled “bad traction” even if it’s not the car that’s at fault.

·
Registered
37,519 Posts
Probably down to the fact that the Nexens are summer tyres, and summer tyres don't like cold and damp conditions.

The cheap ditchfinders on my BMW are pretty bad, but the Goodyear assymetric 2's also loose traction in such conditions.

Nexen tyres are ok for the price.

·
Registered
255 Posts
True.....but at least it raises the point to some that their car might just need some tlc and money spent on it!
People(myself included) wince at the thought of £420 for 4 premium tyres which is what it cost me with my 18" wheels. But, if you take the plunge you realise the difference it makes to your car.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Even my panda 1.1 can spin's Michelin's on a wet road. What's the problem?

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

But we don't how bad it is. When I was 18 I had a 1.3 Astra merit and I thought I was Ayrton Senna. Thing is, I could never afford decent rubber and despite it having the Mk I gte alloys it would wheel spin and under start at EVERY opportunity....from midly moist onward.
I'm certain a set of decent tyres and suspension would have improved things massively

·
Registered
37,519 Posts
But we don't how bad it is. When I was 18 I had a 1.3 Astra merit and I thought I was Ayrton Senna. Thing is, I could never afford decent rubber and despite it having the Mk I gte alloys it would wheel spin and under start at EVERY opportunity....from midly moist onward.
I'm certain a set of decent tyres and suspension would have improved things massively
Budget tyres now are probably better than premium tyres were a few years back

The Delinte Tyres on my Bimmer are better than Pirelli P6000's thats for sure, and I would also say they are better than Toyo Proxes T1-R's, which were all the rage around 10 or so years ago.

Still not in the same league as modern mid range or top end tyres though...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts