Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
39,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspired by another thread complaining of poor quality car parts I thought I would start a thread where people can list down car part manufacturers and parts which they have had problems with.

Then hopefully others can avoid them.
To start off the ones I have had issues with:

Circoli Waterpumps and Thermostats
Key waterpumps
Quinton Hazell waterpumps
Crossland oil filters
Eicher brake pads and discs
LUK/Valeo clutch (failed mechanically at low miles)
Genuine Alfa Giulietta front strut top mounts
Techniclutch clutches

Please feel free to add others below. I have heard many more horror stories but as I haven't had personal experience I won't list them.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Odd, Valeo clutches usually have a good reputation, or have I missed something?

Reactions: Top Down

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
6,990 Posts
LUK make the factory ones don't they???

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
6,990 Posts
Pretty much anything crap will have "Made in China" or "PRC" somewhere on it!!!!......the brand takes second place to that...even big name companies have taken to keeping cost down by farming our production to China. I try and avoid Chinese stuff on principle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Luk clutches are generally very good, I’ve fitted loads in my time and the fail rate is very low.
Their warranty is very good, parts and labour if it has failed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Topran - Supposedly made in Germany, finished a set of brake pads in 3000km in my Golf 1

·
Registered
2010 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4, 2003 Alfa Romeo GTV Phase 3 JTS
868 Posts
Febi brake pads, no replacement shims in the box where required, not as strong as very worn OEs.
We've had a couple of Valeo clutches turn up with a chipped edge of the friction disc. Not worth waiting the 2 weeks for the replacement and were heavily discounted however.

·
Registered
2010 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4, 2003 Alfa Romeo GTV Phase 3 JTS
868 Posts
Ah and I've had the friction material seperate from the backing plate of EBC greenstuff rear pads on a GTV

·
Registered
879 Posts
There was a bad batch of LUK/Valeo clutches a while back, as others have said usually very reliable and I'd have no problems fitting one.

·
Registered
39,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ah and I've had the friction material seperate from the backing plate of EBC greenstuff rear pads on a GTV
I had a set of EBC brakes fitted to my Nissan 200sx. They had a serious lack of stopping power, whether hot or cold and I have never bought them since. Not sure which "stuff" they were but they should have been called brownstuff.

Another item I would avoid is number plates from Demonplates. They had been on the car less than 6 months are were already delaiminating.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Avon tyres, less than 8000 miles before shredding themselves in emphatic fashion. On a different, significantly worse, planet to the Dunlop Sport Maxx I have now.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Febi Bilsten springs. Lasted 3 years on the Laguna.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The point about Chinese parts, I agree, but also to a certain extent China is just where stuff gets made. The Bosch aux belt I got a few weeks ago turned out to be Chinese. Does it matter? Probably not. I would admittedly avoid buying a Chinese timing belt but I bet plenty of car manufacturers are using them.

Years ago in a long queue at Euro Car Parts the bloke at the front was returning a LION battery. I was chatting to a trader who was behind me in the queue and he said they were rubbish, tons of them fail early and they were only really fit for "getting a car out the door". I've been a bit cautious about some of the brands they sell since then, but again there's some stuff where I'm not sure what difference it really makes. I'll always get Bosch filters, but with oil is Fuchs or Selenia really that much better then Triple QX? What about coolant? Wiper blades? Washer fluid?

Last year I put on Eicher front brake pads and GSF discs because that's what was available. I've seen a thread recently where people were discussing how crap they are. My experience is, they stop the car. Am I missing something?

This stuff can be seriously subjective.

·
Registered
39,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Eicher may well have improved. They are now made by TMD friction who also make Textar, Pagid and Mintex.

The last time that I bought them they came from India and were not TMD

Transmech clutches seem to get a bad reputation, they are another ECP brand.

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
SKF wishbones.

Having had an advisory on play in one of the wishbone rubber bushes I decided to replace both of them. Shopping around I found SKF-branded products at a reasonable price, so decided to go for them, based on long experience with SKF bearings.

Note that I said "SKF-branded". My thinking was that these were probably "own-branded" products but that SKF would be careful to protect its reputation by vetting suppliers & ensuring that they worked to acceptable quality assurance standards.

Imagine my surprise, then, when only 500 miles or so after they had been fitted, the car failed an MoT on excessive play in a wishbone bush.

Here's the offending component:

Wood Gas Household hardware Automotive wheel system Circle

The bush is supposed to be bonded in place, but there was absolutely no evidence of any adhesive where it pulled away.

The aftermarket's a minefield!

·
Registered
17,013 Posts
It is a minefield, and lot of ******** does the rounds too. There are a lot of 3rd and 4th hand this or that failed stories. First hand stuff like Dave's obviously very new suspension arm is far more worrying.

I have fond memories of changing the thermostat in my 156. ECP supplied a stat made by Vernet. It lasted about 18 months. I replaced it with one in an Intermotor box. When it arrived it said Vernet on the casting. When the MAF died, I could only get a pattern one locally. It lasted a few months.

Come to think of it, most of my parts issues were with that 156. When I had Sierras, aftermarket suspension bushes were better than the Ford ones.

Reactions: FE55A

·
Registered
39,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Aftermarket Sachs dampers for the Giulietta are arguably better than the Sachs dampers fitted when new.

In a similar vein I remember the Clarion made stereos fitted to the GTV and Spider, they were dreadful in terms of sound quality compared to aftermarket Clarion units.

I have never had any issues with Febi or TRW branded suspension parts.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Odd, Valeo clutches usually have a good reputation, or have I missed something?
IIRC there was a batch of bad ones 18m-2yrs ago. Discussed in AO forums, and led to lots of warranty claims. They should have all been withdrawn from the market by now, but....

1 - 20 of 54 Posts