Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Last week I changed the thermostat on the car and while the intake was off I decided to clean the throttle body and MAF with carb cleaner.

I took the car for a test drive to test the thermostat and immediately noticed an improvement in response from the motor. But I have noticed a marked drop in mpg. I have worked it out at 20-25mpg on a run, but surprisingly a similar return through town.

Is there anything that could be contributing to poor mpg? One thing I didnt do after cleaning and changing the parts was reset the ECU. Should I have done a reset?

Any help please.

Jason

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
My first thoughts are regarding the intake, is it fitted tightly & more importantly are there any splits in the flexi part?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont push the car or drive it silly. 65-70 on the motorway. quick gear changes i'm in fifth by 40mph.

I will check for splits in the intake now. I have noticed the breather from the intake to the rocker seems loose. Perhaps I should jubilee clip them tight

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
All the breather pipes should have clips on .. standard ones clip to themselves, but jubilees will work but don't overtighten as most of the pipes are plastic.

·
Registered
37,651 Posts
20-25 is rather "broad". How are you calculating mpg? Tank to tank is the only proper way to do it, with a 2.0 you could get nearly 40 on a long run, down to 22 doing short trips in the winter. If you are in fifth at 40 you may actually be labouring the engine a bit.

G

·
0 Posts
Do a battery off ECU reset... After doing work like MAF, thermostat and throttle body clean it is bound to be a little out of whack for a few days until it settles... ECU reset proceedure and throttle pedal routine will help speed thing along :thumbs:

G

·
0 Posts
ignition to MAR for 90 seconds. turn back to STOP for 90 seconds then turn back to MAR for 90 seconds... start engine but leave throttle pedal alone for 15 minutes, it's usually included in the first part of the soft ECU reset proceedure

It basically resets the throttle body potentiometer back to default so the ECU has an easier time tracking the position during the learning process on new values.;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
The previous owner had got a cheap copy from hong kong off ebay :tut: that was about as much use as a chocolate teapot. now Ive fitted it it runs better but seems to feel like its holding back a little on acceleration.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After doing the ECU reset the car seems a little better. My next job is the Oxy Sensor. Is it under the heat shield or under the car?

Is there any info on resistance readings for the pins? I want to check with a multimeter rather than just spending money for the sake of it.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
After doing the ECU reset the car seems a little better. My next job is the Oxy Sensor. Is it under the heat shield or under the car?

Is there any info on resistance readings for the pins? I want to check with a multimeter rather than just spending money for the sake of it.
errrrr why?????

1 - 20 of 45 Posts