Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone describe what could be wrong with the brakes on the GTA.

I've recently changed the front and rear discs (brembo) and pads (PF-Z front, std rear), and cleaned/painted the calipers. Done about 1500 miles on them since.

In normal use, they're great; good initial bite and progressive. However, if I'm braking for a junction, say, and then need to stop a lot quicker than I was expecting, i.e. from firm foot pressure to almost standing on the brakes I get no additional stopping power, and it feels like I'm getting less. The pedal doesn't go soft, nor the ABS kick in.

This has caused me to end up half onto a roundabout/junction a couple of times recently, when I'm positive the car would have stopped prior to the new discs/pads.

It almost feels like the pads are becoming less effective the more pressure I use ... BTW this isn't after heavy use of the brakes.

What should I be checking for?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Don't know, have u had the pads before, brake fluid been changed and checked for air. I'm just guessing, someone will prob give u better idea. some pads take a while to warm up.

M

·
0 Posts
Are the pads sticking in the calipers???.....thus not making proper contact with the disc??

.....or maybe a servo problem.....pedal firm but not actually helping you to slow the car??

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
That just sounds like brake fade, and what I used to experience on the std pads on 305's. Once I changed to PF pads though and changed the fluid for higher spec fluid they were fine.

So, in your case, as you have new pads, how old is the brake fluid - and what tyoe is it?

Also maybe give them a real good workout to get the pads bedded in properly. Several hard stops from 60mph or so down to slow speed then off you go again, then repeat for about a dozen times. I did this with my recent new pads (PF) and they improved a lot. Don't stop the car though.

As mentioned above, I had this problem on my old brakes and it is very unnerving. I also had a few very close escapes involving roundabouts.......

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
Can anyone describe what could be wrong with the brakes on the GTA.

I've recently changed the front and rear discs (brembo) and pads (PF-Z front, std rear), and cleaned/painted the calipers. Done about 1500 miles on them since.

In normal use, they're great; good initial bite and progressive. However, if I'm braking for a junction, say, and then need to stop a lot quicker than I was expecting, i.e. from firm foot pressure to almost standing on the brakes I get no additional stopping power, and it feels like I'm getting less. The pedal doesn't go soft, nor the ABS kick in.

This has caused me to end up half onto a roundabout/junction a couple of times recently, when I'm positive the car would have stopped prior to the new discs/pads.

It almost feels like the pads are becoming less effective the more pressure I use ... BTW this isn't after heavy use of the brakes.

What should I be checking for?
Sounds like you have glazed the discs, Performance Friction pads need to real hammering to bed them in, if you don't bed them in the glaze over

Are you on 305's or 330's?

Ned

M

·
0 Posts
Hello Oggy, you know what you have to do fella! Take it to your local alfa garage and have your brakes tested, you don't need speculation you need a qualified answer mate. Don't **** about when it comes to your cars braking system, get'em tested!!!

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Yeah, look what happened to my with my brakes, back in February! :(

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Oggy,

I agree with the advice to get them checked.

I once managed to 'glaze' my discs - which I sorted fairly easily, your problem sounds a bit similar. Do you know what to look for to see if it is the problem. I would assume you do as it is fairly obvious.

I have a new problem on mine - but I will do a new listing so as not to hijack yours! :)

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi guys, sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the good advice. Must admit it sounds like I've treated the bedding in a bit too gingerly. I guess I was following the advice provided by brembo with their discs, ie not too heavy and no longer than 3 seconds for 200 miles. Sounds like a recipe for glazing.

I'll check the brake lines, then do a series of hard braking session on a nice straight dual carriageway. If that doesn't help i'll drop it in somewhere. Cheers all :)

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
Hi guys, sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the good advice. Must admit it sounds like I've treated the bedding in a bit too gingerly. I guess I was following the advice provided by brembo with their discs, ie not too heavy and no longer than 3 seconds for 200 miles. Sounds like a recipe for glazing.

I'll check the brake lines, then do a series of hard braking session on a nice straight dual carriageway. If that doesn't help i'll drop it in somewhere. Cheers all :)
You have glazed them bedding in like that, you will need to take the pads out and manually remove the glaze to bring them back

Ned

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update on this:

Brakes are considerably better now. After several good ragging sessions and piled on another 1,500 miles in a short amount of time, the fronts work rather too well. Thought I was gonna stand the car on it's front grill last night :eek: Haven't been this good since the PF pads on the 305 before I got the 330s. Happy again :)

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
PF pads are awesome. Enjoy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts