Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew that buying a 1.6 156 would lead to less performance than models with bigger engines. However, I'm being overtaken by less powerful cars on a regular basis. Is this just because the 156 is under-powered or have I bought a dog of a car? Can I improve the acceleration of the car economically without affecting fuel consumption?

P.S. I'm looking for grey bonnet and front wings for 2003 Alfa 156!

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
it aint quick, what you getting beaten by? just to guage performance? try driving it with the maf unplugged, idle will be dodgy, but if it pulls better higher up the revs, then there is your answer:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Once up the revs it's quite nippy I find. Pulls well from around 3500 rpm and is not slower than anything similar. If you are in the wrong gears/rev range, then yeah, you will get spanked by an asmatic cyclist. So how does it perform in the higher rev band?

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
I'm no mechanic and a complete newbie. What is "maf"? Getting passed by thinks like 206s!!
depends what engine they have, a gti will beat most:lol:

maf here in the red circle, just unplug:thumbs: your engine warning light will come on, and you will need to pedal dance to keep the revs up when coming to junctions, but if it pulls better at higher revs, you needs a new one;)

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I change to 3rd at 20, to 4th at 40 and to 5th at 50. No response from pedal. Seemed to pin me back in my seat when i bought it. Performance is same however hard I press the pedal.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
I change to 3rd at 20, to 4th at 40 and to 5th at 50. No response from pedal. Seemed to pin me back in my seat when i bought it. Performance is same however hard I press the pedal.
let it rev man, twinnys need revs, they have nothing below 3000rpm, im still in 1st at 20:lol: 2nd 60 and so on:lol:

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I suggest checking Maf sensor, Lambda. Also try fuel from a different petrol station.

I felt the 1.6 lump was underpowered in my old 145 so must feel even slower in a heavier 156.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
I suggest checking Maf sensor, Lambda. Also try fuel from a different petrol station.

I felt the 1.6 lump was underpowered in my old 145 so must feel even slower in a heavier 156.
v-power ftw:thumbs::lol: i use nothing else:D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A full tank is giving me less than 400 miles and I'm driving miss daisy! Won't revving it affect fuel consumption?

·
Registered
30,252 Posts
I change to 3rd at 20, to 4th at 40 and to 5th at 50.
No wonder you find it slow then...:rolleyes:

On the 2.0 (slightly higher geared) 2nd takes you just over 60mph... and you are in 5th well before that.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
A full tank is giving me less than 400 miles and I'm driving miss daisy! Won't revving it affect fuel consumption?
err yeah, but then they arnt renowned for being efficient:lol: a mixture of normal town driving and driving like my pants are on fire gets me 350ish. to be fair to the little engine, if you wanted to tootle and pull from low revs. a 1.6 petrol wasnt the best bet. infact any twinny wasnt your best bet. they need revs. take it to the red line, you will know what i mean;) in other words, drive it like an alfa

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Gonna try unplugging the maf. Just do it with a screwdriver? Told you i was naive!
there is a push tab on the right, i also used a flat head screwdriver, gently. you may find the plastic outer clip breaks, may not, depends how rough you are. i broke mine. as long as you dont break the push clip, youll be fine;)

see the tab, push in at the top

Attachments

·
Registered
30,252 Posts
Gonna try unplugging the maf. Just do it with a screwdriver? Told you i was naive!
Before you do that, try driving using more than 3000rpm...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,811 Posts

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
When do you change gears, then?
when it needs to, if im doing 30, my car wont see 5th. getting up to mway speeds 1st, 2nd, bit of 3rd, then 5th:D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry I sound so naive guys and thanks alot for your help. Looks like I should bin my driving habits and become an alfa driver! Should I forget 5th gear and stay in 3rd and 4th?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts