Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this to a GT or 156 etc??

A search isn't returning much info.

Basically I've started getting some squeeking and slight knocking etc from the front and a recent service tells me it's the bushes. I don't fancy buying new ones from Alfa and then replace them again in less than two years lol so I'm thinking some polyurathane jobbies.

I only have problems at the front but think it's best to do the front and rear for peace of mind more than anything.

The bushes are for sale from alfisti.net, here and here. Prob get them cheaper else where, haven't looked yet though.

Has anyone done this before?? Any good?? Worth while etc??

Also the Eibach ARB upgrades, has anyone got any experience with these?? I notice that the rear drop links are plastic, does the eibach kit replace these or keep the standard links?? Don't see the point in stiffer/thicker arb's if the original plastic links are used tbh, although maybe it wouldn't make a difference??

I currently have coilovers fitted which are quite stiff (certainly not for the feint hearted lol) and I don't use the car for commuting etc so I'm not fussed about ride 'quality'.

I'd also like to do some track days in the future which is why I'm thinking about stiffer arb's etc.

Any advice welcome tbh.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I have bought poly bushing for my 147 a few weeks ago, but I havent mounted them yet.

I will do it at the end of the winter. So if you can wait for my feedback 2 months... :D

Dont worry about plastic ARB drop link... it is very strong plastic.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I've got powerflexed antiroll bars and upper arms.

Very tight setup now. I will say that uppers are a little noisy every omw and then when they dry out. They will also make the wheel follow the camber in the road a little due to reduced flex.

Recommend though.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
eibach adjustable arb kit is well worth persuing, or just get GTA arbs as they are stiffer than standard but not quite as stiff as eibachs or whiteline but significantly cheaper.

standard drop links can be a bit weak for stiffer arb setups, I used to through them every few months on the front until Ifitted coilovers.

whiteline do some billet alluminium and spherical bearin arbs but they are about 5 x the price and probe to ingress of debris into the bearing I was told by a reseller they are only really for track use.

hope this elps

:)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I've got eibach front and back - rear on it's softest setting.

Powerflexed (black motorsport ones) rear end but standard bushed front. Works well for fast road use.

I set off from south Manchester this morning - to Cambridge - to Teddington and back with work.... Relatively Unruffled so it can't be that bad a setup?! Full tank of juice at about 28mpg....

Re whiteline rosejointed drop links - if anything like those on an integrale you get about 4 months use out of them before the dirt kills them - I'd say avoid

A

·
0 Posts
LOL, those are not ARBs, the dirty red one is the ARB, the clean small red one is the adjustable droplink, the and silver adjustable ones are the paralel arms.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses.

My car is the Q2 version which from what I gather has the same arb's as the GTA's?? The rear is 16mm, not sure about the front.

Sounds like a good idea then tbh, just waiting for my little rebate from the tax man to come through and I'm away :D

Still a little concerend about the drop links but if there's no reliable alternative then I'll just have to roll with them.

Will give a verdict when it's all ordered and fitted, sooner rather than later hopefully as I can't be bothered with the squeeks and knocks, makes me feel guilty too lol.

·
Registered
9,309 Posts
The bushes are for sale from alfisti.net, here and here. Prob get them cheaper else where, haven't looked yet though.
What about through Powerflex themselves? They have distributors around Europe as well.

I've got a couple of rear hub bushes to fit .. when it gets a bit warmer over here in UK ... but I've heard front bushes can be harsh and don't actually help stop squeaks but can make it worse.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Thanks for the responses.

My car is the Q2 version which from what I gather has the same arb's as the GTA's?? The rear is 16mm, not sure about the front.

Sounds like a good idea then tbh, just waiting for my little rebate from the tax man to come through and I'm away :D

Still a little concerend about the drop links but if there's no reliable alternative then I'll just have to roll with them.

Will give a verdict when it's all ordered and fitted, sooner rather than later hopefully as I can't be bothered with the squeeks and knocks, makes me feel guilty too lol.
Are Eibach's ARB's shipping again now?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't checked yet tbh, still waiting for this damn re-bate. :lol:

Got a letter with hmrs etc all over it and got excited, but it was only some other crap :lol:

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I have both PowerFlex and Eibach ARB.....so for with the powerflex I have about 85 000km's no problems...including a few thousand Km on track driving...and keep in mind roads in Bulgaria were not that good....

Just keep in mind that in the last few years a lot of companies did start making poly bushes...a lot of them are too hard and have no chanels inside to keep the greese (speling)...and they do break very quickly...so go for the powerflex, which I think is the stuff offered on alfist.net.

Your car will be completly transformed :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have both PowerFlex and Eibach ARB.....so for with the powerflex I have about 85 000km's no problems...including a few thousand Km on track driving...and keep in mind roads in Bulgaria were not that good....

Just keep in mind that in the last few years a lot of companies did start making poly bushes...a lot of them are too hard and have no chanels inside to keep the greese (speling)...and they do break very quickly...so go for the powerflex, which I think is the stuff offered on alfist.net.

Your car will be completly transformed :)
And about riding confort? Suspension noises?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tax rebate has arrived :D

Although I was racing a scooby out on a leasurly drive earlier and afterwards I noticed my clutch is starting to slip a little bit. Only in high gears at low revs so by dropping down a cog or two it's fine.

I may leave the arb's and look into an uprated clutch.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
And about riding confort? Suspension noises?
That really depends on idividual preferences...

I like much more the car the way it is right now...

keeping in mind the roads over here are not that good...and still with that setup there is far less chance of braking the oil sump (which is also protected in my case by an aluminium engine undertray, a special gift from a friend :)))

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I won't buy powerflex bushes for the arms, after having a set of lower arm bushes destroy themselves in less than 6 months on a 145 QV and a set of upper arm bushes for the 156 doing the same.

Fitted the superflex ones to my bro's 147 a while back and he's had no issues at all with those. I also replaced the PF ones on my old 145 with SF and two years on they were good as new!

I HAVE got PF rear hub bushes but they're the black poly which I think is the higher spec? The standard blue/purply arm bushes are just too soft and they don't use stainless sleeves either :tut:

eb spares have moved to SF ones too - give em a go!!

Oh yeah I poly bushed the front ARB a few weeks ago (oo fun, not!!!). Loads better but the old ones were sooo knackered it's hard to say whether it's a better option than just replacing the rubber ones!

·
Registered
691 Posts
With the ally droplinks, you can fit rubber boots to the rod end bearings. Try McGill motorsports, good prices, great service.

A

·
0 Posts
...rear hub bushes but they're the black poly which I think is the higher spec? The standard blue/purply arm bushes are just too soft and they don't use stainless sleeves either :tut:...
LOL ? I got red ones, and yellow (seriously), what spec are those ? Seriously, I hope you were joking with the color designation, it has nothing to do with the quality. Same with the metal sleeves, some bushes have metal from factory, some do not, and PU bushes are copied to the exact specs otherwise they would not fit.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
LOL ? I got red ones, and yellow (seriously), what spec are those ? Seriously, I hope you were joking with the color designation, it has nothing to do with the quality. Same with the metal sleeves, some bushes have metal from factory, some do not, and PU bushes are copied to the exact specs otherwise they would not fit.
Think you'll find powerflex ones are colour coded....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts