Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I travel a lot and always rent cars wherever I go. Just came back fro Nelspruit today and was given a Vivo while I was there. What an utterly rubbish car. I kept telling myself that I'm driving the best selling car in the country, well, it really tells you everything you need to know about the people that buy cars in this country.

The one I had only had 12 000km on the clock but it felt like a 200 000km car. It rattled like a bucket of bolts and the plastics inside are mostly of the cheap and nasty variety except for the upper part which is soft and probably fool a lot of people. Doesn't stop if from rattling, though. Handling is so bad, it's almost funny. It feels like a fish trawler in rough seas. The engine is rough, sounds terrible and has no power or torque. Using revs make no difference, you either go nowhere slowly at low revs or nowhere slowly at high revs. The gearbox/clutch relationship is terrible. The air-con is woefully inadequate even on a cool, balmy day in the Lowfeld. Etc,etc.

For the money I don't expect it to be fantastic but it really is a crap car. Why it is so popular I will never understand.

Just my 2 cents.

Chris

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
And its nr 1 car to be robbed/raped/hijacked in and yet everyone wants one as a runaround for their girls or wives....

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Reactions: alastpa

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Apparently according to reps as they use these cars a lot. The vivo looks the same as the old polo but the old polo is vastly better. But only the reps know it because they live in these cars

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Vivo is the worst car i have driven...
And the one i drove had a about 9k km.
What a rubbish car...sadly it was hired by fca...
I drove the car home on Friday...parked it off... And returned Monday after work..
Crap piece of metal... And at over R100k
Never...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
i Travel allot and my three worst cars are polo vivo, honda brio and toyota corolla..all are crappy with the brio being the worst.

my favorite cars to rent are the fiesta 1l and the polo 1.2 TSI

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Paul your worst list is almost the same as mine. Just replace the corrola with etios. Holy smokes when you hit the highway in a brio or etios it feels like your doing steering input 24/7 to stay on the road

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
The Polo Vivo is a 7 series in comparison to a Geely LC...which I've had as a hire car. Vivo, Etios and Corolla are also nicer than a Chevrolet Aveo but not by much.

I've had an old gen-facelifted i20 1.2 as a rental. Nothing exciting but well made and comfortable. I've also had a Corsa 1.4...quite a nice car. I even had a Fiat Linea as a rental before. Nice, comfortable car packed with features but a little slow even at the coast.

Nothing grates more then journos who go on and on about how nice the Vivo's soft touch dashboard is but completely gloss over the tupperware door panels, the ugly blanks where the drinks holder went on the old Polo, thin paintwork and electric windows but no way to open the passenger side window without leaning across the car. You can have it with pleather...I mean leather seats and cruise control but It's so low rent the driver doesn't even get a switch to open the passenger window. At least the Etios has that.

The only advantage of the Vivo and Etios is the cheap parts but then again it might also be stolen/hijacked FOR parts.

Oh and your Vivo comes with an expensive set of flip key fobs...No passenger window switch, no boot light but you get a flip key!!!

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
the brio doesnt even have lights on the window switches so you have to fiddle in the dark

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Horrible cars. Better than the Avanza at altitude, though.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
The Vivo really does show you what happens when a car is built down to a shoe-string budget. It turns what used to be an acceptable, though boring, car into a terrible rattlebox with the handling of a dinghy.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Nothing grates more then journos who go on and on about how nice the Vivo's soft touch dashboard is

Oh and your Vivo comes with an expensive set of flip key fobs...No passenger window switch, no boot light but you get a flip key!!!
I think there's probably some underground "club" for motoring journalists where they sit around wearing special driving gloves and stroke soft-touch plastic until their keys flip out.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think there's probably some underground "club" for motoring journalists where they sit around wearing special driving gloves and stroke soft-touch plastic until their keys flip out.
We actually got a fair bit of stick from readers and VW for our opinion pieces on the Vivo (and normal Polo for that matter). For some reason South African's do love them, as they do most VWs, which for the life of me I cannot understand. I agree on all points mentioned here re the Vivo, it's really old tech that somehow VWs marketing department has managed to make sound appealing, and VW then has the cheek to charge as much as they do for it. You have to be the most fundamentally boring kind of person to buy one. At least the Up! has some character to it...

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
There are certain segments of markets in South Africa where I can understand why people would buy a Vivo or a Corolla Quest (slightly better car than the Vivo at least). If you live in some far-off town where the only car dealership within a hundred kilometres or more is a Toyota and VW dealership, I can understand why you'd get a Vivo or a Quest if you have to have a new car and not a used car.

Living in a city, though - the only reason why I can see someone buying a Vivo is because its one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest, new car you can get with an automatic gearbox and cruise control. So if you really need those features and don't have a lot of cash and need a new car, the Vivo can make sense.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
VW and the good old sheep mentally.
People buy them - because everyone else does - so it must be great.

The Polo Vivo is rubbish - the new generation Polo TSI is a little better yes.

Polo TSI Highline - 4 cylinders, 1200cc, Turbo = 81kw , 175nm
Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - 3 cylinders, 900cc, Turbo = 92kw, 170nm

Why on earth would you go for the Polo ?

·
Registered
80 Posts
OMG, that VIVO crap, I had rented 2 of them, both under 20000km and the gearbox was the worst. When changing into 3rd gear I often landed in 1st gear. Atleast consumption wise it was better than the Hyundai I20, that thing drinks petrol faster than the engine can burn, 2.5 tanks of petrol for JHB to Bloem and back at night.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Polo TSI Highline - 4 cylinders, 1200cc, Turbo = 81kw , 175nm
Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - 3 cylinders, 900cc, Turbo = 92kw, 170nm

Why on earth would you go for the Polo ?

Well, the Ford Fiesta Ecoboost Trend 999cc Turbo with 92kW and 170Nm has a starting list price of R230 900 (or R229 900 for the auto-box Ambiente trim version)

This while the Polo TSI Highline manual has a starting price of R265 000.

So obviously the Polo TSI is the one to go for. It's R35 000 more expensive, so it must be better! :irked:

So lets then rather take the Fiest Ecoboost Titanium 999c (the highest spec car). That starts at R254 900 in manual guise. Damn! Still not enough to make it more expensive, and therefore better, than the mighty Polo TSI!

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Just back to the Vivo.

The auto-box version's price starts at R189 100. This has a 63kW engine and a 6-speed "tiptronic" box (though it's slow as hell to change gears - I have driven one)

The only new car that has an auto box that compares on price is the Hyundai i10, but that's much smaller than even the Vivo That has a 4-speed traditional auto box and only 50kW so it's even slower - quoted 0 to 100 in 17.1 seconds :censored:. Price starts at R167 900, though.
The Grand i10 1.25 Auto starts at R199 900.

So this is why the auto-box Vivo could make some sense.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
One can have the new Figo Titanium with a Powershift (dual clutch) box for R207900 (Even cheaper if you go for a demo model) Performance is better than the Vivo auto or the i10. The Figo Titanium also comes with:

Climate Control
Sync voice control
6 airbags
ESP and hill launch assist
electric windows all round (with PROPER switches)
Steering wheel audio controls
AND a service plan

The top of the range Vivo is less than R10k cheaper (peanuts on your monthly payments) and has NONE of the above features and yet South Africans buy it in droves. Even the Figo Trend at R173900 Brand new is better equipped. You can also have it in a diesel with 215nm.

If I was in the market for a budget wheels (keeping in mind I don't have kids) I'd go for a low mileage Fiat 500 1.2 Pop every day of the week. They can be had for decent money at the moment.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
One can have the new Figo Titanium with a Powershift (dual clutch) box for R207900 (Even cheaper if you go for a demo model)

The top of the range Vivo is less than R10k cheaper

Missed that one.

So even the Vivo with the auto box makes little sense then.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts