Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday's rain was just about the worst since I got my car (54 plate GT - JTS 2.0) and the demister was so poor it made the car positively dangerous to drive. I supposed it had to to be because of a clogged pollen filter. I found the refit information on your very helpful site and took the old one out this morning.

I haven't got a replacement yet (I think it's probably better to leave it off until the new one arrives) but I was surprised to find that I seem only to have one pollen filter (most of the instructions I've seen describe two filters - and the replacement filters look to be mostly supplied in pairs).

The filter I removed measures 280 x 175 x 30 mm. I suspect that the ones sold in pairs measure half the length - the graphic in "e learn" supports that theory. After taking mine out I was in fact pretty pleased that it was just one piece - it would have been a real struggle getting the driver's side out from the passenger footwell - I'd probably need forceps.

So the question is - is the "one-piece" filter a genuine alternative to the two part kind? It looks like a genuine part and has the number 52406856/01. Or was it an enterprising "bodge" by a previous owner?

And can I get hold of one anywhere?

L

·
0 Posts
even genuine replacements are 2

i buy from alternative auto, approx £20 for the 2

·
Banned
857 Posts
So the question is - is the "one-piece" filter a genuine alternative to the two part kind? It looks like a genuine part and has the number 52406856/01. Or was it an enterprising "bodge" by a previous owner?

And can I get hold of one anywhere?
What we can establish from your tail is that the pollen filter has never been changed in your car since it left the factory. The one-piece filter elements are used in the factory for speed in assembly as the fan unit is installed into the car with the filter already in place. Once in-situ behind the dash it would be practically impossible to fit the same size of filter again without damaging it, hence the replacements come in two halves to ease fitment.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the very fast responses guys.

You've put my mind at rest I had wondered if there wasn't in fact another filter I hadn't found yet still lurking in there somewhere. It makes more sense now - and the condition of the pollen filter - it really looks as though it has been there seven years.

I can also see that having a pair half the length would facilitate re-fitting. But when I want to replace those (maybe I'll only leave it six years next time) won't it make the driver's side tricky to remove - as I mentioned above?

L

·
0 Posts
no, you'll be able to grab the drivers side section by it lower LH corner

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
One piece fitted on the bench in the factory, two piece at service.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
once again thanks to all for your input.

I've ordered a pair of replacements from an ebay seller. Original - part number 46799653. 2. For the bargain price of £10.00 plus £2.00 p&p (that's the price for a pair not one). I'll have the delight of putting them back in after the holiday I expect. Getting the "L" shaped cover to click back in place is a real treat isn't it?

Well apparantly tomorrow's a special day - lots of food and presents for everyone - so I have to go and get drunk now in preparation.

MERRY CHRISTMAS everybody.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts