Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Has anyone got any tips re easy replacement of the above situated behind the centre consule.

Nightmar getting a new filter installed as clutch keeps getting in the way.

Many thanks

Alan

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hi

Has anyone got any tips re easy replacement of the above situated behind the centre consule.

Nightmar getting a new filter installed as clutch keeps getting in the way.

Many thanks

Alan
From memory, a few years back I cut a piece of wood to length to hold the clutch pedal fully depressed, think the other end wedged against the crossbeam under the seat, a real faff. New filter goes in best if twisted whilst sliding in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From memory, a few years back I cut a piece of wood to length to hold the clutch pedal fully depressed, think the other end wedged against the crossbeam under the seat, a real faff. New filter goes in best if twisted whilst sliding in.
Thanks I’ll give it go, lots of scraped knuckles I think :grumpy

·
Registered
37,776 Posts
I found that you need to twist the filter slightly and squeeze the middle, then untwist it as it slides in.

It isn't the best arrangement, but it is easier to change than the one on my Mk2 ford Focus.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the tips, sorted it out eventually by keeping the clutch pedal pushed down with one hand and then manovering the new filter in. Shan’t be doing that again in a hurry.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Thanks all for the tips, sorted it out eventually by keeping the clutch pedal pushed down with one hand and then manovering the new filter in. Shan’t be doing that again in a hurry.
Well the book says to replace it every 15 months, so sooner that you think or would hope!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Replaced mine on Wednesday. The dealer had done the first job two years ago. It was filthy- black and blocked with tree spores and grease(?). I used my breaker bar to hold the clutch pedal down and squeezed the middle of the new filter into a double fan to jiggle it in. Thanks to the tips on here. My elbows, neck and the backs of my hands still smart after two days. Until the coronavirus restrictions are lifted I won't find out how beneficial it's been! Next filter change I'll try and source the carbon version.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
will this be easier on an auto? doubt mine has been changed in 5 years
It's a little easier in the fact that you do not have a clutch pedal to contend with. You have to remove the footrest to gain access but it's still a faff. my pollen filter and flap were missing so I was basically heating the transmission tunnel!

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Replaced mine on Wednesday. The dealer had done the first job two years ago. It was filthy- black and blocked with tree spores and grease(?).
Did you see the dealer do it? It should not have got that dirty in two years unless you have been in some pretty filthy environments

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
i bet hardly any places bother to replace them, most people wouldn't know they exist. i know it doesn't make it right; they're usually a ball ache to replace. the 159 one was like getting a sandwich into a closed lunchbox, at the back of a fridge.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
A dealer should know as it is in his schedule. Could the failure to complete all items in a service schedule but charge for all be considered fraud? As you say most people, especially those that rely on the dealer, don't know enough to realise it should be done.

·
Registered
37,776 Posts
I would put money on dealers not being bothered to change them due to the fact they are not very accessable and hard to check... Same with the engine air filter.

It is all too common, and both or my filters were meant to have been changed at a dealer just before I bought the car and they clearly hadn't been.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I must be in the minority as despite it being in a stupid place I didn’t find it that difficult, removed cover,pressed clutch down with right elbow and squeezed/twisted it in with left hand. Much rather do a pollen filter than remove the 4000 torx screws to change air filter

·
Registered
405 Posts
i bet hardly any places bother to replace them, most people wouldn't know they exist. i know it doesn't make it right; they're usually a ball ache to replace. the 159 one was like getting a sandwich into a closed lunchbox, at the back of a fridge.
Love the description - had me smiling in these difficult times...although I didn't know it was THAT easy ! ?

·
Registered
333 Posts
I shouldn't p*** you all off but having to learn driving in LHD seems to have been worth it for the luxury that I can change my pollen filter even twice a year its so easy..

That sounds like a pig of a job on RHD!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I shouldn't p*** you all off but having to learn driving in LHD seems to have been worth it for the luxury that I can change my pollen filter even twice a year its so easy..

That sounds like a pig of a job on RHD!
It will be more annoying for most rhd Giulietta owners that you have a clutch foot rest!

·
Registered
97 Posts
To be honest I found the 159 much easier than the G.

To echo others though, to most garages a "service" means oil and filter and maybe the air filter. I'm pretty sure mine hadn't been changed (service invoice didn't say it had been to be fair) because it is an utter PITA on the G compared to the 30 second job it is on most cars.

Barely driven the car in the last 2 weeks for obvious reasons, I've got both the oil and filter and the pollen filter to change when I get around to it though.

·
Registered
37,776 Posts
It will be more annoying for most rhd Giulietta owners that you have a clutch foot rest!
The lack of footrest doesn't bother me much. What does bother me is the lack of room for my left leg. I just cannot get it far enough to the left to get properly comfortable.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts