Alfa Romeo Forum banner

141 - 160 of 187 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Would we have had July bombings in London if it was not for the War..

Yes Chris I agree to an extent.

There's things I like and dislike about America and Americans but if they hadn't helped out 60 years ago we would probably be discussing this thread in German.
I think there's every likelihood that the US would be a suburb of 'Axia' by now, if the Germans and Japanese had won the War. That's why they joined in when they did (and quite right too, although earlier would have been a bit better for us).
I don't purport to know quite enough about the US but as a Brit (and member of the World) I never know quite how to take the US or whether to be relieved they are our ally, or downright scared. I mean, you look at WWII. I get the impression that the US govt wanted to join earlier, but their public didn't have the stomach for it. They gave a load of aid to the Germans and Japanese afterwards so that they could be in their sphere of influence, yet left us with hideous debts which crippled us for decades. They left us high and dry over Suez too (our fault admittedly) and we were given virtually no tangible help when our Sovereign waters were invaded by Argentina. Who knows what levers were pulled over Iraq, but it does seem that Blair was leaned on very heavily by the US and in the face of public opposition to invasion, we were misled by our govt. on a rising scale until opinion started to sway. Time and time again, it seems to be all take and no give. But if we complain, there is a tacit threat from our 'friends' the Americans.
There are some very powerful influences at work in the US which seem to ensure a vice-like grip on their seemingly, at times, stupid outlook on the World. Big business, big TV/News Networks, the Jewish Lobby, the great un-passported, gun-toting swathes of Bible-bashers in the enormous interior, who through little fault of their own, know jack-sh*t about what goes on in the World. In recent times, all of these played their part in Iraq.
There are millions of intelligent, enlightened, kind, thoughtful people in the US, but they are often drowned out by some or all of the above.

·
Premium Member
13,135 Posts
You know Frank you should try to be happier in your own skin. We fish are'nt all that bad and we've learnt a lot of lessons along the way, and that continent you mention wouldn't exist if it wasn't for fish like us. But if you don't like the tank you can always go and live in the sink ?
:rolleyes: I was trying to lighten this thread up a bit. My whole point was that few people outside London know where cockneys actually come from (geographically), but we still have (and here I agree with Steve), media generated stereotypical images of them. As we do of Americans etc, etc. It's all BS.
Nowt wrong with my skin, head maybe, but not skin! :lol:

·
Super Moderator
44,946 Posts
There are some very powerful influences at work in the US which seem to ensure a vice-like grip on their seemingly, at times, stupid outlook on the World. Big business, big TV/News Networks, the Jewish Lobby, the great un-passported, gun-toting swathes of Bible-bashers in the enormous interior, who through little fault of their own, know jack-sh*t about what goes on in the World. In recent times, all of these played their part in Iraq.
There are millions of intelligent, enlightened, kind, thoughtful people in the US, but they are often drowned out by some or all of the above.
Now that is what Artboy SHOULD have said.

A

·
0 Posts
What an excellent post VO2Max.(no.142)
A shame others in the thread couldn't have written with the same respect but still put over a point of view.

AF

·
Registered
15,298 Posts
I think there's every likelihood that the US would be a suburb of 'Axia' by now, if the Germans and Japanese had won the War. That's why they joined in when they did (and quite right too, although earlier would have been a bit better for us).
I don't purport to know quite enough about the US but as a Brit (and member of the World) I never know quite how to take the US or whether to be relieved they are our ally, or downright scared. I mean, you look at WWII. I get the impression that the US govt wanted to join earlier, but their public didn't have the stomach for it. They gave a load of aid to the Germans and Japanese afterwards so that they could be in their sphere of influence, yet left us with hideous debts which crippled us for decades. They left us high and dry over Suez too (our fault admittedly) and we were given virtually no tangible help when our Sovereign waters were invaded by Argentina. Who knows what levers were pulled over Iraq, but it does seem that Blair was leaned on very heavily by the US and in the face of public opposition to invasion, we were misled by our govt. on a rising scale until opinion started to sway. Time and time again, it seems to be all take and no give. But if we complain, there is a tacit threat from our 'friends' the Americans.
Just to go slightly off-topic but one of my sister in-laws emigrted to the USA before going on to Canada - apparently her kids were told at school that WWII started in 1941 :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Super Moderator
23,004 Posts
:rolleyes: I was trying to lighten this thread up a bit. My whole point was that few people outside London know where cockneys actually come from (geographically), but we still have (and here I agree with Steve), media generated stereotypical images of them. As we do of Americans etc, etc. It's all BS.
Gor blimey , strike a light guvvner - aint that the truth , strewth me old **** sparra.

Lumme - I'm a lundenner doncha know - aint there na dahlin' - out in the old hays (hayricks - sticks).

True - born there mate - nah - missed the 'ol smells (smells - bells = Bow) on account of how I was like a bit lifted like (lifted=shifted=far [away]).

Dick Van D has a lot to answer for.

Paul.
I was born in South London, suburbs, worked at the effluent - Sorry Elephant for many years. My daughter lived in Deptford - rough - but a great community once they recognised you.

·
Super Moderator
23,004 Posts
Just to go slightly off-topic but one of my sister in-laws emigrted to the USA before going on to Canada - apparently her kids were told at school that WWII started in 1941 :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Actually I can understand that.

In the UK (as I am sure in every other culture) history is taught entirely from a "National" point of view. We see things, understandably, as important from the dates that affected us - in the case of WW2 for the UK - 1939.

To an average (like you and me) American citizen the war in Europe in 1939 was interesting but remote from them. America declared war later - so that is when it began.

Do we (UK) consider the Spanish Civil War which started in 1936 and enabled Germany to practice it's techniques and expand it's armaments as the start of WW2? - No.

Paul.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Surley as a nation with the political stance it has, coupled with the fact it sees itself as the world police....the lies about the war, the treatment of prisoners, the international borders its violated, Its acts contrary to the geneva convention.

They are there to be critised and shamed.....

If Americans feel strongly, they should look at their goverments actions and how it affects the world, especially its safety to other nations.....and change it!!!

Would we have had July bombings in London if it was not for the War....yes are govement is just as guilty....but we dont pull our punches about our lot...do we...?

We constantly take the mike out of our own society...like Chavs..BMW...,politicians....minor celebs....etc...

Can't americans grow a thick skin?

Chris (probably offended someone)
Im with you on that one! If we can't have a slight dig at Yanks, I can live with that. But god help them if there are any Jazz Ballet dancers in here, I hate Jazz Ballet.

LOL, if the fact that was a joke was not picked up!

·
Super Moderator
23,004 Posts
Good point well made PaulR!!

Hey - any don't 'dis the Dick Van!! :tut:

:lol:
Would I ever?

He's - supercalifradilisticexpealidocious. (And, yes you are right - I can't be bothered to google the correct spelling),

Paul.
(Even though the thought of him is something quite atrocious)

·
Registered
662 Posts
this is the worst thread ive read on here, truly dull imo

i really dont like american foreign policy but i dont think that american citezens have any say in what happens in their country anyway cause just like here their vote means nothing, every politican is a carbon copy of another and they are all bought and paid for by someone with an agenda. if they didnt have the backing of interested parties you wouldnt know their names never mind vote for them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
the only american i ever met whilst in florida asked me if i knew of her aunt in liverpool and had i ever had tea with the queen.....then went on to tell me and my family all about her surgery....for 2 bloody hours

·
Super Moderator
44,946 Posts
the only american i ever met whilst in florida asked me if i knew of her aunt in liverpool and had i ever had tea with the queen.....then went on to tell me and my family all about her surgery....for 2 bloody hours
You went to Florida, and managed to only meet one American? :confused:

Did you sit in a sealed room?

·
Registered
35 Posts
You went to Florida, and managed to only meet one American? :confused:

Did you sit in a sealed room?

ha bloody ha...i meant the only one who we had a chat with, other than "have a nice day sir" assistants in shops and theme parks. we were hijacked by this women at bliizzard beach in a line waiting to go on some ride or other..

141 - 160 of 187 Posts