Alfa Romeo Forum banner

81 - 100 of 187 Posts

·
Super Moderator
44,946 Posts
Once again, I strongly disagree with the suggestion that because they're 'big and tough' it's OK to be massively offensive towards someone.

H

·
0 Posts
Must quickly add that America didn't seem to mind Saddam's Regime 25-30 years ago, oh in fact they and us made pots of cash selling him weapons....
What's that got to do with abusing Americans because they need it :confused:

·
Premium Member
45,115 Posts
What's that got to do with abusing Americans because they need it :confused:
To be fair, Artboy was bringing that up only because the previous respondent, Harry1 tried to justify the Iraq war because saddam was "a c0ck". :lol:

But I still do not agree with abusing Americans purely on the basis that they are American. That is no different than abusing someone purely because they are black, purely because they are retarded, purely because they are ugly, etc etc. Its all really bad form. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
111 Posts
To be fair, Artboy was bringing that up only because the previous respondent, Harry1 tried to justify the Iraq war because saddam was "a c0ck".
Heh heh, yeah a pretty feeble reason I admit! I probably don't know as much as I should but I just get fed up sometimes with the constant American bashing :(

ps, I'm not American

H

·
0 Posts
:

But I still do not agree with abusing Americans purely on the basis that they are American. That is no different than abusing someone purely because they are black, purely because they are retarded, purely because they are ugly, etc etc. Its all really bad form. :rolleyes:
Exactly my point.
And the forum rule on this is

Rule Number one be NICE

Abuse for abuses sake should not and is not tolerated here and I for one am glad it's not.

Wether the group NEED abuse or not :(

·
Super Moderator
44,946 Posts
Apart from the Gingers of course ;) :p

H

·
0 Posts
The good old "I thrashed the Cup this weekend like a redheaded step child" eh ;)

·
Premium Member
77,068 Posts
Ian - read your first text - then jumped to the end...

can I assume that the naughty person has been contacted to ensure that they do know who they are?

assuming it wasn't me? :) ;) and a :(

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
We should all be careful how we generalise. But I must say that this forum is one of the best moderated and least offensive that I've seen. If you care to look at HYS forums on the BBC or worse MSN then you'll see what being distasteful and insulting to others is all about.

America at the moment is coming under intense criticism mostly because of it's actions following 9/11. I myself (a great lover of nearly all things American) find myself wincing at some of the policy decisions and actions of the present administration (to say nothing of what I think of our own). But what we must never forget is the overiding benevolence and sheer magnanimity of America throughout most of it's short history. can you imagine what the Far east and Europe would be like if Japan and Germany had won WW11?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
But what we must never forget is the overiding benevolence and sheer magnanimity of America throughout most of it's short history. can you imagine what the Far east and Europe would be like if Japan and Germany had won WW11?
No one should forget. The problem is that the US today is completely unrecognizable to the one that you've reflected upon.......unfortunately

·
Super Moderator
44,946 Posts
I think even more to the point Will is that to judge all the people of a country by the policies of their government is pretty ludicrous.
Disagree with the policies, fine. Hate the government which put them in place, fine. Hate the people who live in that country, unjustified.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Disagree with the policies, fine. Hate the government which put them in place, fine.
The majority of Americans supported the war in Iraq(even democrats) at the start(and the "successful" - "All major combat operations have finished" - GWB speech) .
So i wouldn't put the blame just on the administration only. All the mechanisms were working in order to justify an invasion. FBI, CIA, the American media(public service), general ignorance, post 911 war mentality-which is totally understandable) etc.

If the war was going "well" for the US then even the democrats today would have kept quiet and everything would have been peachy, the media...... - well they don't report anything anyways, the population would continue to be ignorant etc...

I've met a couple of yanks.....i wasn't very impressed at all. Would i use this personal experience to formulate my general opinion on American people? No of course not....but a lot of people do.. especially when they become "collateral damage" to a US interest.

A

·
0 Posts
Just to get back to the point, and to why i added my views many posts ago. The fact remains this thread began because of a slight ribbing of America/Americans. Now i still think it's over the top to stop anyone being able to have opinions on Americans. If someone generalizes England and says we are all chavs, hooligans, and underage mums, then because i know i'm not it dosent bother me, if i was any of these things i'd be offended...well good thats the point. If i say Americans are Fat bigoted warmongering a**holes then all the ones that are get there insult, most Americans hate those Americans anyway.. deal with it.

·
Super Moderator
44,946 Posts
Just to get back to the point, and to why i added my views many posts ago. The fact remains this thread began because of a slight ribbing of America/Americans. Now i still think it's over the top to stop anyone being able to have opinions on Americans. If someone generalizes England and says we are all chavs, hooligans, and underage mums, then because i know i'm not it dosent bother me, if i was any of these things i'd be offended...well good thats the point. If i say Americans are Fat bigoted warmongering a**holes then all the ones that are get there insult, most Americans hate those Americans anyway.. deal with it.
So if I call you a ****, and you're not a ****, I haven't just insulted you? :confused:

You're strange.

By your logic, I actually can generalise about whoever I like, and hey, I'm not being racist because if what I say isn't true about some of those people then I'm clearly not talking about them.

All Irish people are thick. Buy hey, all you Irish people who aren't thick, just remember - I haven't stereotyped you, and I haven't just insulted all Irish people, because if you're NOT thick, then it clearly doesn't apply to you.

Utter rot.

Once again, if you want to say you hate Fat bigoted warmongering a**holes it's very easy. Try typing this sentence:

"I hate Fat bigoted warmongering a**holes"

If you type this sentence:
"I hate Americans, because they are all Fat bigoted warmongering a**holes"
Then regardless of your protestations, you HAVE called all Americans Fat bigoted warmongering a**holes, you HAVE generalised about them and made a statement about ALL Americans based on the presumably few you've met, you HAVE acted insultingly towards them, and you ARE being bigotted, and to be perfectly blunt: racist.

It really isn't hard to understand.
Specific about someone/thing you have a reasonable greivance about - sometimes OK (clearly depends on circumstance)

General, about an entire country/culture/race based on little to no evidence - bigotry

H

·
0 Posts
What all of them and they NEED abusing by you :rolleyes:

You need some time in the quiet room :lol:

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
But what we must never forget is the overiding benevolence and sheer magnanimity of America throughout most of it's short history.
America has mostly been isolationist or imperial (using that term loosely here). They didn't come into WWII until their hand was forced and the rest of the time they throw their weight around - a lot of that in clandestine operations too. Sorry - their foreign policy over their short history stinks; they can't seem to get the balance right.

Having said that slagging them all because of this is just plain stupid.

81 - 100 of 187 Posts