Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
What about the Italians? They can make some really good looking cars! It must be all the pasta their are eating - or is it the wine?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I like American, and Canadians. My mum was born in Detroit during the depression and the family then re-emigrated to Scotland when the was 2 years old.

I also think that generalised insults are ok, though they seem to be against board policy so I suppose they are not OK here, a shame.

Boo hiss to the liberals.

·
Super Moderator
114,698 Posts
Mogle said:
What about the Italians? They can make some really good looking cars! It must be all the pasta their are eating - or is it the wine?
It's our enhanced sense of aesthetics developed over the last two millenia and nurtured by the beauty of our lands and people.
italian-flag-54.gif

BigItalianFoot :D

·
Premium Member
45,115 Posts
Nearly ten weeks on, this thread LIVES AGAIN! :D

Personally, being British I'm perfectly happy for people to make sweeping generalisations about us as a culture/race/nation whatever.

I share uni digs with a guy who was "born in the Soviet Union" (technically a Russian now), we're always making jokes about where each of us comes from.

"More vodka, comrade?", "You off bear-wrestling tonight?

"Fancy some potatoes, Paddy?" "Party tonight? Who's dead?" (Irish by blood, British by birth)

Its all fun and games, people shouldn't get insulted so easy. :D

A

·
0 Posts
i'm just going to add my 2 penneth worth having read these posts with interest. All i'm going to add is that racism in effect is born from Persecution. I.e. the Jewish were pesecuted (my gran is Jewish), the Africans, afro americans etc etc...now apart from afor metioned afro americans, i don't ever remember in history Americans being persectuted (look what white america did to native americans). Correct me if i'm wrong, but if i say a huge majority of americans are thick hillbilly racist homo hating jew hating motherf**kers. i'm expressing an opinion..............

·
Super Moderator
44,946 Posts
You're wrong.
I don't see any good argument for it being OK to viciously insult people just because they've never had the ill-fortune to be part of a persecuted minority. It's still insulting, it's still offensive, it's still wrong.

And if your opinion is truly that you can judge the personality and believe of several million people from the few you've met, then you're an idiot.

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Ding Ding..... end of round one !! :eek:

:p

A

·
0 Posts
And if your opinion is truly that you can judge the personality and believe of several million people from the few you've met, then you're an idiot.

Not what i'm saying is it though. There arew some great American people out there, in life there are good and bad of all nations. All im saying is that you refered to me as an idiot, your opinion, not racist remark though in my eyes, and i'm not about to make it one because i'm half Jewish. My opinion on the Americans is the same, it's not racist to say i don't like racist bigoted jewhating Americans (of which there is a hell of alot)...

·
Super Moderator
44,946 Posts
But how do you know that 'most Americans' are as you describe?
You are basically making something up based on little or no evidence.
I think that the chances are that 'most Americans' are perfectly decent people.
In the same way I don't believe that 'most scousers' rob people, 'most Jews' are rich and rip people off and 'most black people' have huge *****.
To claim any of those things is just ill-informed bigotry.

·
Super Moderator
44,946 Posts
Not what i'm saying is it though.
Well, you didn't exactly say it, but you asked if saying it would be wrong, yes it would.

"Correct me if i'm wrong, but if i say a huge majority (this would constitute the several million people I was talking about) of americans are thick hillbilly racist homo hating jew hating motherf**kers. i'm expressing an opinion.............."

Yes, you'd be expressing an opinion, but it is a bigoted opinion based on no evidence. It's pure prejudice.

Saying 'most' as some kind of get out clause does not mean it's not stereotyping, and does not mean it's not insulting.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Damn right Bazz, besides, every country will have groups of ill-educated racists among them. The UK is no different.

A

·
0 Posts
oh my god. but there are Americans who subbscribe to these opinions!!! So what are you saying i'm making this up!! If an American hates Jews blacks and Gays then i'm not going to stick up for him.. and i hate the self Righteous Christians as well.

·
Super Moderator
44,946 Posts
oh my god. but there are Americans who subbscribe to these opinions!!! .
But you didn't say that. You said 'most Americans'.
I'm quite sure you could find an example of an American who thought that, but it hardly proves that most of them do.
You're taking individual examples and using them to judge an entire population, that's a pretty good definition of prejudice.

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Scousers :confused: ..... yes !! :p

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
I know :rolleyes:

;)

41 - 60 of 187 Posts