Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
I think everyone should keep in mind, when commenting on what 'American's' are doing, is that in the first election that brought the current administration to power at least half and most likely more than half of the country did not vote for them. It is also arguble that this happened again in the most recent elections. I think the mid-term elections that most recently took much power from the Repubs was very indicitive of this.

But to say 1 American is an idiot because he is president of a country that espouses liberty, freedom and the opportunity to better oneself what ever ones background but then promptly allows his apparatus of state to indulge in:
1) running 'black' prisons in countries desperate for his country's aid
2) torture
3) illegal rendition flights
4) 'police state' tactics under the guise of the Patriotism Act
5) extradition of alleged white collar crime using 1 sided regulation implemented to combat terrorism

Is presumably ok?
I don't think Bush has all his marbles personally and none of the above is not Ok to me. It's also not OK to me that currently in the UK the police are allowed to detain someone without being charged as they are doing under the new post 9/11 laws to combat terrorism. There has to be a better way.

Just my 2 for today.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I think everyone should keep in mind, when commenting on what 'American's' are doing, is that in the first election that brought the current administration to power at least half and most likely more than half of the country did not vote for them. It is also arguble that this happened again in the most recent elections. I think the mid-term elections that most recently took much power from the Repubs was very indicitive of this.

I don't think Bush has all his marbles personally and none of the above is not Ok to me. It's also not OK to me that currently in the UK the police are allowed to detain someone without being charged as they are doing under the new post 9/11 laws to combat terrorism. There has to be a better way.

Just my 2 for today.
I think you misunderstood my post. I was suggesting that rather than calling all American's idiots it would be preumably be ok to call Bush an idiot for the reasons I listed.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I think you misunderstood my post. I was suggesting that rather than calling all American's idiots it would be preumably be ok to call Bush an idiot for the reasons I listed.
Naw, just didn't phrase my answer correctly!! Meant "Bush doesn't have all his marbles' as in agree with you and meant to convey just what you say above but didn't get there. ;)

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
I guess if people are being individully abused for being American then that is out of order BF.

But......due to my origin and knowledge of American and American people, admittedly I have to generalise...not knowing everyone in America....My times in the states have been both pleasurable and [email protected] [email protected] being due to the American Attitudes of both the Black and White communities...

Its in the natural Psyche for Americans too believe that they are better than everybody else....

So I would say this If you can't take it, dont give it......

( I am of course unaware of personal abuse that may be directed at Americans....so my argument is for general Abuse...if that makes sense!!:confused: )

Chris

Chris

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Chris, I think the initial 'problem' was that some people were making blanket statements about all American's, rather than perhaps more constructive comments about individuals or policies that they didn't like.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Do I see our european friends rush to send thousands of troops to the gulf? Do I see any of our european friends rush to the Presidents side in times of crisis? And you call the population of the USA idiots :cheese:

Please note I use USA in place of America as to do so would implicate all the other nation states of that great continent.

Personnaly I would sent both governments to camp X-Ray and throw away the keys :)

:rant: over.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Individuals being racially abused is out of order.Sweeping generalisation, while not at the height of intelligence, is something every nationality gives and receives. My teeth are lovely for instance.
Don't be so sensitive.

The last American I met was a thoroughly nice bloke who...

a) missed having his gun with him
b) hated 'blacks' - a brave stance for a white boy working in the Caribbean
c) told me that Hilary Clinton being elected would signal the coming of the anti-christ. We will be able to recognise him though as he will be sporting a scorpions tail. "It's in the bible".

Fortunately his influence on my view of Americans is cancelled out by my daily fix of John Stewart.
The Canadians are a nice bunch though aren't they :D

·
Super Moderator
60,043 Posts

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
Darn. You're not supposed to post statements like that. :tut: They spoil all the hard work I've put into creating a mean and nasty persona for myself here.

;) :D :lol:
--Toronto
Is that really what you were trying to do ? Cos if so you failed miserably :lol:

mean and nasty :tut: :rolleyes: No way :D

·
Super Moderator
114,698 Posts
21 - 40 of 187 Posts