Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Administrator
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please remember that we are an international board, I realise fun is normally at the expense of others, however, making remarks about americans is no more acceptable than making remarks about brown, white, black skinned people. Some people have been offended here so please ensure this is stopped now.

Ian

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Feeling guilty,just in case. My reference to JFK's clanger was thus. He was in West Berlin, could be heard over the wall though, stood with Herr Willie Brandt I think, and others, he had a translation sheet,got one word misplaced,'ein'. When he said Ich bin ein Berliner. Meaning I am a Berliner. Unfortunately it should have been, Ich bin Berliner. Apparently the ein Berliner, just that little ein, refers to a confection, or Wurst. They cheered and clapped on both sides of the wall because they loved JFK and allowed him this little slip. Apologies to all for not explaining this earlier. Expect most of you knew this? year was about '61/'62 not quite sure. Someone know for sure? I was there.zf

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Sorry Zulu - so what did JFK actually end up saying?

·
Super Moderator
44,946 Posts
You need to watch some Eddie Izzard Gary! :D
JFK said 'Ich bein ein Berliner'.
But, to state where they come from a German would say 'Ich bein Berliner' - I am Berliner, not I am A Berliner.
Unfortunately, a berliner is a type of donut. So what JFK said was 'I am a donut'. :D A bit like going to Frankfurt and shouting 'I am a sausage'
Luckily, public speaking is 70% how you look, 20% how you sound, and only 10% what you say, so he got a massive cheer anyway.

ZF: I think that's a funny story, and I don't see any way it can be construed as anti-American. :)

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Cheers Bazza :)

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
Surley as a nation with the political stance it has, coupled with the fact it sees itself as the world police....the lies about the war, the treatment of prisoners, the international borders its violated, Its acts contrary to the geneva convention.

They are there to be critised and shamed.....

If Americans feel strongly, they should look at their goverments actions and how it affects the world, especially its safety to other nations.....and change it!!!

Would we have had July bombings in London if it was not for the War....yes are govement is just as guilty....but we dont pull our punches about our lot...do we...?

We constantly take the mike out of our own society...like Chavs..BMW...,politicians....minor celebs....etc...

Can't americans grow a thick skin?

Chris (probably offended someone)

·
Super Moderator
44,946 Posts
I would say that there is a difference between expressing an opinion about their governments foreign policy, and deciding that it means all Americans are (insert generalising insult here).

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Yea, Sorry Gary, his beautifully presented, but slightly boobed statement, referred to being a doughnut, or sausage, two versions I was told anyway. It appears they had a good laugh about it later in the White House, or so it was fabled. Cripes, hope I have this correct, or I'm likely to be incarserated, or worse!! Shut up Zulu! or-- get your facts right.

·
Super Moderator
114,698 Posts
I would say that there is a difference between expressing an opinion about their governments foreign policy, and deciding that it means all Americans are (insult generalising insult here).
Thank you for saying what I had in mind :)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Hmm this is a very tricky issue. I can agree that no one deserves to be discriminated against/ridiculed due to racial stereotypes, yet I agree wholeheartedly with the following post.

Surley as a nation with the political stance it has, coupled with the fact it sees itself as the world police....the lies about the war, the treatment of prisoners, the international borders its violated, Its acts contrary to the geneva convention.

They are there to be critised and shamed.....

If Americans feel strongly, they should look at their goverments actions and how it affects the world, especially its safety to other nations.....and change it!!!

Would we have had July bombings in London if it was not for the War....yes are govement is just as guilty....but we dont pull our punches about our lot...do we...?

We constantly take the mike out of our own society...like Chavs..BMW...,politicians....minor celebs....etc...

Can't americans grow a thick skin?

Chris (probably offended someone)
I would say that there is a difference between expressing an opinion about their governments foreign policy, and deciding that it means all Americans are (insult generalising insult here).
Also I see this point bazza, but the government is voted for by the nation. You can't say for any country that the govt. are idiots, but the people who voted them in are all geniuses (genii?). I'm sure I've mentioned a few times on here that us in the uk are spineless for not taking action like the french.

I think there is a very fine line between making critical statements about facts, and abuse, and I'm glad I'm not a mod who has to sit down and determine which is on which side.

Part of me thinks that political discussion should be banned on here, as politics is very rarely relevant to fixing our alfas faults. However, part of me thinks we all have a responsibility to at least inform everyone of truths governments try to hide. Why am I thinking of cans and worms?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
After a few Doppelkorn Schnapps, and a few German biers, we would all be the best of friends, never mind the politics, see how Ex Squaddies think? Or don't, depending on your point of view!

·
Super Moderator
114,698 Posts
The point chaps is on the board we don't allow any form of abuse.

So, for example, to say American are id1ots because their government chose to invade Iraq is a form of abuse towards our US members.

And that will not be tolerated.

Period.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
But to say 1 American is an idiot because he is president of a country that espouses liberty, freedom and the opportunity to better oneself what ever ones background but then promptly allows his apparatus of state to indulge in:
1) running 'black' prisons in countries desperate for his country's aid
2) torture
3) illegal rendition flights
4) 'police state' tactics under the guise of the Patriotism Act
5) extradition of alleged white collar crime using 1 sided regulation implemented to combat terrorism

Is presumably ok?

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
I have to laugh because, the other side of my family are American albeit via Barbados....

Most live in the New York Area.....some came over when I was In Barbados to visit my Gran.....hot topic of discussion Iraq, where they agreed they were idiots....

But then again they seemed to have a sense of humour!!!

As far as I can see this is all PC again, whether it be race,colour or origin...we do have to tread lightly....so as not to affend...but do we really want to go this far....

Surely American politics, TV,films and celebreties, .....states the obvious!!

Chris

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
So what JFK said was 'I am a donut'. :D A bit like going to Frankfurt and shouting 'I am a sausage'
Now if George Dubbya said that we'd all cheer in agreement ... ;)

1 - 20 of 187 Posts