Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully if the weather holds out im gonna give the GTV a good clean inside and out. I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations of cleaning products. Ive got a couple of scratches i wanna get out too, not very deep at all.

Cheers
Rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,236 Posts
That Meguirs has a following, for the outside, though I've not really noticed any huge difference between many of the main-brand polishes.

Mer and Autoglym fill up my shelves more often than anything else. MER goes on with a damp cloth so is easier to apply than many, but it leaves a lot of white powder so isn't as user-friendly on a dark colour car. Any polish is better than none though.

Inside use that "Back-to-Black" to get the dash shiny.


Ralf S.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,077 Posts
Midlands-GTV said:
Hopefully if the weather holds out im gonna give the GTV a good clean inside and out. I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations of cleaning products. Ive got a couple of scratches i wanna get out too, not very deep at all.

Cheers
Rob
Mr GTV
You want to ask Stori ,he gave me a website which I ordered some "Mothers"california gold CLAY BAR paint saving system.Looks good but, havn`t had the time to use it yet. Want a nice clear day to spend on it! :D
I have used AutoGlym ,prety good but as most people would say, does leave white powder everywhere. :(

Cheers Bodgit. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,591 Posts
1) wash car Zymol Auto wash using a Meguiars microfibre wash mitt.
2) "Clay bar" the car to remove imbedded "crap" (3M or Clay Magic are excellent but mother's or Meguiars ok in a pinch)
3) Clean paint with Meguiars Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner using a Meguiars foam aplicator to apply. Remove with Meguiars microfibre cloth
4) "Wax" with Mothers Reflections Advanced Car wax using a Meguiars foam applicator to apply. Remove with Meguiars microfibre cloth

Although Autoglym good, it leaves alot of white crap every where and is not as easy to use as Mothers

On a Red car the finish you get should be similar to this car but the above will look good on lighter colours as well.

A good run down on cleaning your car

Not the best photos but my car which is over 3 years old.
I use the above method and finish rather gratuitously with Zymol Ital wax.

However even without this extra wax coat, the finish is excellent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,189 Posts
Light scratches can be easily removed with any old paint renovator product follow up with a good polish like AG Super Resin Polish or AG Ultra Deep Shine.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
23,070 Posts
Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine (not super resin). Follow this with Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection which acts like Teflon - birdsh1t just flicks off.

With regard to the "white powder" problem I find that a quick "air polish" (go for a drive at high speed) takes care of it.

Paul.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,591 Posts
PaulR said:
Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine (not super resin). Follow this with Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection which acts like Teflon - birdsh1t just flicks off.

With regard to the "white powder" problem I find that a quick "air polish" (go for a drive at high speed) takes care of it.

Paul.
Just use Mothers Reflections Advanced car wax and you get a top class finish with no white powder and you do not have to worry about getting it on black rubber bits and extremely easy to remove ;)
In fact you can leave it on for 24 hours and it comes off easily :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,189 Posts
Hey, lets start a my polish is better than your polish fight! Most car care stuff is pretty reasonable in reality.

Try using a rotary or DA polisher with SRP and you won't have any issues with white powder. Most of the problem is peeps thinking you have to cake it on like icing ;) UDS does take a knock but comes up fantastically - my bonet after a quick hit with UDS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,591 Posts
Mr_Caine said:
Hey, lets start a my polish is better than your polish fight! Most car care stuff is pretty reasonable in reality.

Try using a rotary or DA polisher with SRP and you won't have any issues with white powder. Most of the problem is peeps thinking you have to cake it on like icing ;) UDS does take a knock but comes up fantastically - my bonet after a quick hit with UDS.
It is not really a polish fight ;)

However some systems are very easy to use and others aren't.

Over 29 years of Alfa Romeo ownership I have used many , many products and although most look good when finally applied, some are worth the money and some aren't due to the hassle using them.
To be honest, I do not care if anyone uses they same products that I use. I put it up for reference as I know that it does "the job" and is easy to use.
As far as Rotary polishers are concerned. They are good, but it depends on the user on how good a job is obtained.Those loverly swirl marks on your new car are put there by "skilled" exponents of the Rotary polisher. :eek:

Somehow I suspect that the average person does not want to train themselves in the correct use of a rotary polisher on their Alfa Romeo ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,650 Posts
I have black plastic sills on my GTV, who "back to black" type product is best? I have a few bottles of bumper resin type stuff in the shed but they would be past their best by know and will invest for the spring clean.
I cleaned the inner wheel arches yesterday, so much grit came clean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,591 Posts
alexgee said:
I have black plastic sills on my GTV, who "back to black" type product is best? I have a few bottles of bumper resin type stuff in the shed but they would be past their best by know and will invest for the spring clean.
I cleaned the inner wheel arches yesterday, so much grit came clean.
If it was available to you then a Product such as Forever Black would be a good one to try.

Having a quick look around there seems to be sellers in the UK

example http://www.motorgeek.co.uk/index.php?cPath=3&sort=&filter_id=37
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,189 Posts
Oh I was hoping to start a polish fight, I've got so much of the stuff that I need to get rid of some of it. There seem to be a lot of Megs fanboys about at the moment - smells nice I hear. My current Alfa came with dealer installed buffer trails from an overly abbrasive polish being used by a muppet who doesn't know how to use a rotary. They probably removed more paint then I would like in the process.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
I suspect the AG bumper care stuff is very similar to the Mer bumper cleaning gel - fantastic stuff for all the plastic bits!
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top