Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
18,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yonks ago, I went to college with a girl who claimed her dad's Senator was ex-Police. I had no reason not to believe her. It was white, had a black cloth interior and ran on steelies. She said the engine had been 'tuned' for Police work.

Watching 'Motorway Patrol's Howling Lights' or something or other earlier this week, one of the police officers said his Police Volvo was 'highly tuned'.

This got me thinking. There's only so much 'high-tuning' you can do to a car, but the nudge-nudge, wink-wink implication is that Police cars are 'more highly-tuned', like the Police have some secret insight/deal with Volvo/aftermarket tuners that makes Police cars that bit faster than other tuned cars.

I suspect, though, that this is just an urban myth.

What I'm interested to learn though, is what changes are actually made to Police cars. I read once there are no engine/performance upgrades, but the suspension is more robust (to carry all those cones daily and whatever else is needed in the boot) and the brakes are upgraded (to cope with the extra weight and regular high-speed pursuits).

So...what is the absolute truth about what performance mods are made to Police cars? Do you guys know?

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
18,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, Cue2 - that's a great find and an interesting read, mate.

Seem like brake and suspension mods are the norm, engine mods less so.

·
Registered
35,724 Posts
When I had my second Lancia Dedra , I was looking for one of the last 1993 2.0LS models and saw one at a Bromley S/H car place . When I stopped to look they wouldn't show me the service history unless I came back the following day . This was because it'd been registered to Maidstone Constabulary and been service in-house. I walked away when I saw a unipart oil filter and holes in the boot floor where the radio had been mounted. The fogs were covered carefully in black tape instead of replacing them...

·
Registered
37,738 Posts
thanks, Cue2 - that's a great find and an interesting read, mate.
Interesting?

That there forum said:
3.0 MV6 is remapped with RMBS mapwrite mk2 and takes it from standard 205BHP up to 248BHP. To handle this the gearbox ECU is also remapped and the 2nd gear clutches have a single plate removed and and extra plate added to the 3rd gear clutches. This has the effect of 'biting' during kickdown and reduces wear on the box, but at the cost of the tyres. Traction control is also reworked to de-compensate the force increases exerted by the outpuit shaft assembly.

On the other hand, RMBS - Ronald Mcburger Bull ****e and I haven't got the foggiest idea about this at all. Sounded good though and the fact the you are still reasing is just an endorsement of my waffling skills.

This can all be confirmed if you Call 0800 555 111 and quote I've got an ex filthmobile and I bet you can't catch me porkie.

We'll all come and visit.
Hysterical! :lol:

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
18,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Back in the late 70s I bought an ex-Thames Valley Police Ford Consul GT. 3.0 V6, 4-speed manual. As far as I could tell, the oily bits were standard, but the suspension certainly seemed to be upgraded - it felt stiffer and better damped than any Granadas I'd tried. Brakes seemed standard - or at least standard replacement pads and linings fitted....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Many, many years ago I had a Dolomite Sprint. I was in the main dealers one day getting spares (bear in mind this was before computers) and the parts guy produced two books, one for ordinary spares and one for upgraded police spec parts. I had a look through and there were suspension mods, lighter weight wheels, different camshafts and a while raft of other stuff.

Probably not like that these days, it it certainly happened back then.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
So presumably if you buy an ex police car which may be 'tuned' you should declare it to your insurers as being modified.;)

·
Registered
15,199 Posts
The police got Omegas with a 3.2l V6 coupled with poverty spec interiors with no options, and a manual gearbox. They were probably a bit lighter than civvy luxo-barge auto spec.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
The suspension is upgraded for all the tackle carried, the electrics are upgraded for the extra pull from the radios and two tones. The upholstery is upgraded for 24 hour use and not much else. They are a throw away item after a few years and they definitely need throwing away after a few years.

Nothing is done to the engines, as cheap servicing as possible, but they do get serviced regularly and fixed immediately. :)

·
Registered
38,248 Posts
My mates dad has an ex-police Volvo V70 T5.

He reckons that it has been tuned, but I am not so sure.

On those they would be better off sorting the suspension rather than the engine anyway.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
You'll notice the traffic and motorway cops always have the big cars.

The Volvo t5, whatever 3 litre Vauxhall is available, Range Rovers etc, etc. These cars don't need to be tuned, they are fast as standard:) and they are fast because they are new.:)

Why would you tune a bog standard beat car, Corsa or Fiesta, it only tootles around town with a standard trained driver riding the clutch, getting maccy dees all over the seats and breaking bits of trim. :lol:

God, it's sounds like I know what I'm talking about.:cheese:

·
Administrator
46,101 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts