Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure where to put this thread.

I've been looking at point and shoot digi cameras for under £100, got my eye on a Nikon L23, any better suggestions / recommendations ? :)

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
i don't really know much about cameras, but i posted a similiar thread to this a few years back. there was a member at the time who worked for hasselblad (serious professionals' camera company) and he recommended lumix all the way for point & shoot :thumbs:

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don't really know much about cameras, but i posted a similiar thread to this a few years back. there was a member at the time who worked for hasselblad (serious professionals' camera company) and he recommended lumix all the way for point & shoot :thumbs:
Thanks Al :thumbs: Will look at Lumix :)

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
I bought a Canon A1200 last year, which I can highly recommend. Only 4x optical zoom, compared to the L23, but more functions & it's one of the few compact cameras with an optical viewfinder which uses AA batteries.

For me AA batteries are a big advantage as, although they do add a little bulk to the camera, they have much longer life than dedicated lithium-ion batteries, which are typically only around 1,000mAH, they are much cheaper to buy if you want to carry spares & if you're caught with flat batteries they are available just about anywhere.

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,340 Posts
I'm no expert about which camera to buy but I do agree with Dave's points. Optical Viewfinder which saves battery life and you can actually see in bright sunshine would be a must for me.

Same for the AA Batteries, far better idea, cheap and you won't be caught out with a flat camera battery ever again, just slip a couple of spares in your pocket.

K

·
0 Posts
I'm all for AA batteries as well.

When I researched it, the Canon A580 came out very well so I bought one. Canon subsequently replaced it with an A800 when it broke and that is identical. Before that I had a Nikon L11 which was a great little camera too.

I think everyone has different views on this though. A friend of mine who is into his photography said that I should buy a camera made by people who make cameras rather than one made by people who make electronic kit.

When I think back to the vivitar camera I had first which cost £100 and was utter garbage, it amazes me how far the technology has come and how much more you get for your wedge.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
It's more about which brands to avoid when buying a cheap P&S compact. So, if they're not on this list then don't consider them as options. I've tried to prioritise the list in order of (personal) preference but a lot of it is down to what you want to achieve;
Canon
Nikon
Panasonic
Sony
Pentax

Have a look at Digital Cameras - Cameras - wex photographic which gives a good overview of what is available.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I used to sell digital camera's (at Dixon's when they were still about), so I know a bit about them, but wouldn't say I'm an photography expert.

I would disagree with the AA battery point of view from those above, unless this is going to be a specific problem for you (going a whole day without being able to charge your camera, and having it on a lot?).
My reason for this is that you then need to buy a separate battery charger and rechargeable AA batteries of at least 1000mAH (if you stick in normal Duracell's, they'll only last a few minutes), and carry that with you.
You can buy a spare lithium battery off ebay for around £5 which is cheaper, and just as easy to carry around as a spare set of AA's (admittedly when your battery is dead, you can't just nip into a shop and pick up some AA's, but like i said, they would only last a few minutes anyway).
Nikon is a good camera, with a good lens, I've recently bought a Panasonic DMC-FS16 for my dad who lost his (£70 in Currys at the moment), and I have a Sony DSC-T110 (which has a nice little panoramic feature) with the Carl Zeiss lens.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Hi,ACUPULCO AL.:)

Had many cameras over the years
10 mill, pix. Lumix
has caused few tears
would say it`s one for your mix.
Photographs are but collections of yesterday views
giving recollections and cause too mews today.

Very few viewers can spot the difference between
7 miil pix, 16mill pix,and any number between
when viewed this way.

But the I am a Luddite.

John tL.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
I would disagree with the AA battery point of view from those above, unless this is going to be a specific problem for you (going a whole day without being able to charge your camera, and having it on a lot?).
My reason for this is that you then need to buy a separate battery charger and rechargeable AA batteries of at least 1000mAH (if you stick in normal Duracell's, they'll only last a few minutes), and carry that with you.
My A1200 was bought for a specific purpose, as a cheap, pocketable camera for holiday use, rather than using my Olypmus Ultra-Zoom, which is bulky & has very poor battery life.

Canon makes a camera, the A2200, which is almost identical to the A1200 apart from using a lithium-ion battery which has 740mAH capacity; I'm using 2,500mAH rechargeables, giving me getting on for seven times the life from one recharge! Last year I spent nearly three weeks in Texas, during which I took nearly 800 photos using two pairs of rechargeables & one pair of alkalines - the alkalines took over 100 shots. With dedicated li-ions I'd have been recharging batteries every couple of days. AA rechargeables are much cheaper, especially in terms of price/AH, than dedicated batteries & I already had a charger as I have several pieces of kit in which I use rechargeable AAs.

·
Registered
594 Posts
My A1200 was bought for a specific purpose, as a cheap, pocketable camera for holiday use, rather than using my Olypmus Ultra-Zoom, which is bulky & has very poor battery life.

Canon makes a camera, the A2200, which is almost identical to the A1200 apart from using a lithium-ion battery which has 740mAH capacity; I'm using 2,500mAH rechargeables, giving me getting on for seven times the life from one recharge! Last year I spent nearly three weeks in Texas, during which I took nearly 800 photos using two pairs of rechargeables & one pair of alkalines - the alkalines took over 100 shots. With dedicated li-ions I'd have been recharging batteries every couple of days. AA rechargeables are much cheaper, especially in terms of price/AH, than dedicated batteries & I already had a charger as I have several pieces of kit in which I use rechargeable AAs.
Point taken Dave.

I'm not saying AA rechargeable are a no-no, I'm just saying don't buy a camera that takes AA's thinking you can just nip into a shop and buy some when your out of power, because they won't last for long (granted if you have a viewfinder and switch the screen off standard AA's will last for longer, but a lot of compact camera's have done away with the viewfinder). For most people the standard slim line Lithium battery will suffice (and your camera is slimmer than those that take AA's), and if not you could buy another Lithium battery for the cost of whatever the 2,500mAH AA's cost.

For me the Sony (and the Panasonic) comes with an external battery charger, so when I get back to the hotel after a day out, I swap the camera battery for the charged spare one and job done.:thumbs:

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies :thumbs: I'm going for a Lumix FS16 camera, seems to be the best camera for me, at the right price :D

M

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the replies :thumbs: I'm going for a Lumix FS16 camera, seems to be the best camera for me, at the right price :D
I'm a fan of the Panasonic brand (certainly for audio/visual...great quality and utterly reliable)....good choice old boy....now get snapping :thumbs:

·
Registered
37,774 Posts
I have a Panasonic Lumix TZ10 here that I am going to sell.

Pretty much as new condition, with box, instructions, spare high capacity battery and a genuine case.

I am looking for £135 including delivery.

Ones on ebay often fetch more, but If I sell it here I don't have to worry about the listing fees. ;)

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a Panasonic Lumix TZ10 here that I am going to sell.

Pretty much as new condition, with box, instructions, spare high capacity battery and a genuine case.

I am looking for £135 including delivery.

Ones on ebay often fetch more, but If I sell it here I don't have to worry about the listing fees. ;)

Do you take Amazon vouchers and Visa ? :lol:

Sorry mate it's too much for me, good luck selling it though :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts