Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been taking things fairly easily since fixing the head gasket but decided to give it some beans on the way home from work today, to enjoy the engine sound.

Accelerating hard in third up a hill, heading for about 6,000 rpm, the engine light started flashing steadily, then went off. Then did it again, and went off again.

The car is now running a bit rougher than before, and is idling a bit lumpily.

My fault code reader says PO 302. Is this just a misfire on no. 2 of could it be anything else?

And if it is a misfire on no. 2 then my paranoia is wondering if it could be head gasket again as that is where it went last time :paranoid::paranoid:

I would be somewhat low on the happiness scale if there is a major problem again....

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Phew, panic over!

I have checked out the car and was prepared for the worst:

- check oil cap and dipstick. Good, no mayonnaise.
- check coolant. Good, no mayonnaise, no bubbling or smell of exhaust gas, level where it should be. Maybe its not the head gasket again..
- but, dig out my compression tester, take the plenum off to get at cylinders 1 - 3 and............. then discover a loose connector on no.2 coil pack.

The metal clip that should hold it in place is not there, it must have gone walkies and I didn't notice when connecting everything back up. I don't have a spare so I have secured it with some thin wire tied round.

Engine purring again :beer:

This car really does keep me on a roller coaster of emotions, I guess like any good Italian mistress would.

Anyone know a source for the little metal clips?

·
Registered
561 Posts
AngloSpider.. was going to say the injectors.. the plastic clip on those disintegrates, one of mine has a cable tie keeping it in place, i've never got round to sorting it ...

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
If the clips aren’t available, you could try speaking to Gary Fisher at TotallyAlfa about the possibility of making some.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the clips aren’t available, you could try speaking to Gary Fisher at TotallyAlfa about the possibility of making some.
Good idea, thanks. Gary has been really helpful when I have called for advice on parts. The head gasket set I bought from him is so much more than just head gaskets; its everything you need for the job - cam cover gaskets, intake gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets, spark plug seals etc. Brilliant!

Having said that, I can't imagine there being a very big market for these little clips so it might not be worth doing for him unless he charges £5 per clip...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts