Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why me....:mad:

The floor in the utility room is soaked....

Traced the leak to the feed into the toilet cistern...

Tightened the plastic nut that seals to the cistern... leak fixed :cool:

But how come........ it's been leaktight for about 10 years and then it just decides to let go on a Sunday afternoon.... Plastic fittings to seal to a ceramic unit are bound to be a problem....

You cant get decent brass fittings with proper rubber washers anymore... now it's just cheap (not that cheap :rolleyes:) and nasty rubbish. You used to be able to see the rubber washer compress and feel when the joint is tight. Nowadays the only hint you'll get that you've overtightened it is when the blasted thing breaks :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
Hank of hemp, ton of Bosswhite,makee' joint nice n' tight.:(: Plastic this, an' plastic that, what a load of cheap ole' tat.:(:

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Hank of hemp, ton of Bosswhite,makee' joint nice n' tight.:(: Plastic this, an' plastic that, what a load of cheap ole' tat.:(:

Z/L.:)
I have a dripping tap over the sink, it`s one of thoes ,mixer into one spout,
Iasked my friend if he could get me a washer fot .He just burst out laughing.
Says Ineed a plumber.
It`s no wonder I`m a luddite.:(
J.T.L.:xmas:

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Says I need a plumber.

All you need to be a plumber is a van full of old fittings that you can cannibalise to fix the problem :rolleyes:

I was up in the loft yesterday to fix a sticking ball ****. Very hard water around here soon gums up any moving parts. Descaled it and gave it a good coat of silicone grease... should keep it clean for a few years

·
Registered
31 Posts
Z/L.:)
I have a dripping tap over the sink, it`s one of thoes ,mixer into one spout,
Iasked my friend if he could get me a washer fot .He just burst out laughing.
Says Ineed a plumber.
It`s no wonder I`m a luddite.:(
If your tap has a quater turn action it has ceramic discs. A tiny bit of dirt can sometimes seperate these discs simply isolate water supply to taps, clean discs and reassemble. 10 minute job. If standard tap which you keep tuning to stop simply repalce washer. Probably save you a £50.00 plumbers bill. Thats if you can get a plumber in the first place.:xmas: :xmas: :xmas:

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
If your tap has a quater turn action it has ceramic discs. A tiny bit of dirt can sometimes seperate these discs simply isolate water supply to taps, clean discs and reassemble. 10 minute job. If standard tap which you keep tuning to stop simply repalce washer. Probably save you a £50.00 plumbers bill. Thats if you can get a plumber in the first place.:xmas: :xmas: :xmas:
Devonspider,:)
Thanks for that:)
It is a ceramic disc ,so I`m told,
Will wait until I`ve got the house to myself,and see what I can do.:rolleyes:
John the luddite:xmas:

E

·
0 Posts
Many thanks AlfaGJ.:lol:
I guess it will mean one present less
for the grandchildren.:(
Always this time of year or just before holidays.
John ThE LUDDITE.:xmas:
Why not buy them a tap, and let them know they can come and play with it whenever they like? If you're on a meter, remember to turn the water off when they come round.

For the first part, remember I'm from the north. What is this "cistern" thing? if your toilet has flooded how come the water got indoors?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Why not buy them a tap, and let them know they can come and play with it whenever they like? " thing? if your toilet has flooded how come the water got indoors?
Emgee, :)
If I gave them a tap,they would be dancing everywhere.:cheese:if not to the modern pop.to the classic`s
Water music springs to mind.:)
John.T.L.:xmas:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Just fitted a new kitchen tap. The Franke ceramic disk had one disk unit split, allowing a leak. £120 for replacement. Got a tap for just under £11 (£8 postage), new Targa in our beige (champagne?) colour. Old one was uncleanable, big improvement. Plenty of chrome taps out there.
On compression taps I rub down the washer seat with a bit of 600 wet/dry glued to the flat handle end of a small wood chisel.
Always fit isolation valves, easy to turn off water locally.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Many thanks,:) Keithglos.
In view of the chances of a split,
I think I shall leave to the new year, grandchildren can have their gifts..:xmas:
BEING A BIT OF A DRIP MYSELF THINK I CAN TOLERATE ANOTHER ONE.:)
John the luddite:xmas:

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
The pump on our power shower failed earlier this week. The pump was put in just over five years ago and it was an expensive one at that. So this time ordered a cheap (comparitively) one from Screwfix and now just waiting on the plumber to come out and get his arm in. No local isolating valves and a bit of an odd arrangement so I'm not too keen on tackling it myself.:(

I've told the wife that's her Christmas present sorted but for some reason she wasn't too happy.:xmas:

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
What made the ceramic disc split then KG? Just gave our hot and cold over the kitchen sink an 857, and they work, so smoothly once more. last serviced about five years ago. The cold had started to drip a wee bit, so did both, Did however get one assembly slotted back in 90 Deg. out, worked in reverse, and she soaked herself!:lol: :(: Not Funny.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
Isolator valves, tie a knot in the pipework.:(: Cheap ones seize anyway, and are worse than useless. Even if you un-seize them, they leak at the gland! Crap rubbish!:mad:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts