Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone experienced poor running due to oiled up plugs? This is the second time its happened to me. Looks like the cam cover gasket has gone again. It was only changed eight months ago. Wonder if the plug boots may be damaged by the oil, should I change them?

Also Im after some used parts, headlamps bumper, indicators. (drove into wall) Any one know of a good supplier?

Cheers

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
is the oil sitting in the plug wells or actual coating the electrodes ???? If it's coating the electrodes (from inside the engine) I would suggest some engine maintenance/rebuilding is needed eek! .

Hope it isn't this though.

Check the for sale section. There are adverts for cars being broken for spares.

Marlon

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its covering some of the plug electrodes. Thought it had just seeped through the threads from the cam cover.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Steve

I replaced the gasket on my twinspark but it didnt really make much difference. Just had to keep cleaning the well out every so often!!!

wrinx

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I suppose thats one option!
Just drove the car to work this morning and it wont idle! Cuits out when slowing down. Im replacing the gasket in the morning.

Anyone replace the plug leads before? Whats the part numbers form Alfa or can you get them elsehere?

Cheers

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Steve, I recently replaced the leads with Champion Triple Silicon jobbies. Part # LS-320.
I have an 8 valve, but the leads fit the 16 valvers aswell. Cost about £70 (although I got them for £40) for 8 from Halfords (probably need to order them). Alfa leads cost about £50 for 4 !!!!

Marlon

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks marlon. Will they include those plastic "boots" one looks cracked and I think that may be causing a problem as well.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If yours is a 16V there are only 4 leads plus 4 coil packs that sit on 4 of the plugs, so they are not compatable with the 8V(or at least not the ones I've seen with the twin distributors.
Alfa dealers sell individual leads and they cost about £17each. The plastic bit you refer to has since been changed to metal(or at least they were on the new ones I bought). There are 2 lengths but they cost about the same price.

If you have an 8V your laughing as my motor factor lists a set of eight for about £30 :)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, its 16V. So looks like trip to dealer with cheque book!!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man, this is confusing, the box lists all the 1.8 and 2.0 litre TS engines.

Ah well. I'll have to believe you guys that know about the 16 valvers.

Steve, sorry for the mis-leading info.

Marlon

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
my 16valve used to do this leaking from the cover and is quite common i had variator done and local alfa man put gasket back on with some silicone compound but i still leaked i did it myself with same gasket with no compound and no leaks since but it does make car run rough when it happens the leads alfa are selling are new 156 ones as i replaced one a while ago they seem a bit tougher as well .

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Incidently the leads are made by Bosch, so it may be that you could get them from a Bosch agent!!
By the way I have replaced just 1 short and 1 long lead as they were split at the top (probably due to me trying to pull them off the plugs as they were a very tight fit, buttight enough to stop the oil going down though. All I did was carefully tightened the cam cover up and so far it's been oil tight and that was 11000 miles ago.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Steve,

Oily electrodes is bad. You may have a head gasket problem or (more likely) a valve guide problem. if the plugs keep getting oiled up you will have to have some engine work done. Oil will not seep through the threads of the plugs (lets face it - gas can`t get through so oil has no chance!)

Sorry frown

1 - 13 of 13 Posts