Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi engine management light has come on and I suspect lambda sensors maybe faulty,no 1 plug is all grey 2,3 and 4 are grey and black , does this probably mean 1 or more are going wrong ?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Is it running well? Black spark plugs indicate its burning oil although pictures would help, it might be that one cylinder is running lean.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it starts fine ,revs ok ,bit lumpy I would expect them to be all grey normally but the jts having 4 lambdas can anyone tell me which lambda does what ? oil consumed around 2000 a pint

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
First thing to remember is that modern engines have a feedback loop via the lambda sensors to ECU (computer.) It also means they can run very lean so plugs are much cleaner and whiter than us older folk are used to seeing so even a brownish plug is a bit rich.

After that they are suck / squeeze / bang / blow.

Without seeing the plugs it is hard to know if it is oil or rich running but 2,000 miles per pint isn't massive for one of these engines.

Without having the codes you don't have any guidance.

Code readers on ebay, amazon and other sites are £20 or less.

What you could have though is a slight exhaust leak before one of the lambda sensors. As well as allowing exhaust out it allows air into the exhaust. Air contains oxygen. The lambda "senses" the excess oxygen and thinks the car is running lean so feeds it extra fuel until the two balance. So your ECU thinks the car is running correctly but getting excess fuel.

I would buy a code reader but before it arrives do a very thorough check for exhaust leaks in front of the lambda.

Other checks you can do are leaking air hoses, and possibly clean the MAF.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info will have a nosy around for leaks and check out readers,or is there a way of using smart phone as a plug in ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well bought one of those Bluetooth eobd readers off eBay£9 torque app brilliant ,popped up p0161 ,p1653,p1654 now the harder bit what's it all mean guys anyone had same codes ?

·
Registered
9,338 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quickly wiggled variator solenoid connector this morning that code now disappeared,Tom the breather pipe ,it's great to have a idea where to start,I hope it's not telling me porkys

1 - 14 of 14 Posts