Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I'm in the middle of changing my rear subframe and I'v sorted everything out except how I will do when I taking the brakelines of? When I did it I was completely soaked in brake fluid so I had to screw the back on.

I'v read somwere that pushing the brakepedal down and then hold it there with a stick will help?

And if I have to make som "blinde-pipes" witch size should the be in, one is female and one is male so that may be difficult to do?

I appriciate any help I can get! When this thing is sorted I can finally remove my totaly ****ty rear subframe! :D

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Hello,

Please explain the problem some more, I don't understand... I assume you have disconnected the brake lines or the pipes have broken? What is a "blinde-pipes" ?

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Hi dannee, do you have the service manual? If you remove hubs from rear suspension, you can leave brake lines in place and drop subframe out, you remove spring-pans and dog legs and other swing component which i can't remember name of also and then remove six bolts, 3 on each side of subframe and it should drop out? I didn't touch the brake lines when i removed mine.

PS: Bolts are on their way as i type this, they were sent yesterday so should be on your door at latest yesterday week.;)

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Herer's the page. Sorry, it didn't come out as well as id hoped.
Actually, you do need to refill the entire brake system and bleed it! As i remember.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'v removed springpan arms, swingarms and disconnected the abs sensor, but tot remove the subframe I need to disconnect the brakepipes hust where the rear silencer of the exhaust system is connected. Its hard to explayin especially in englisg (I'm from sweden) but when I disconnected it the brake fluid just keept on flushin... I unscredwd it just in front of the rearsubframe right beside the rear silencer so when I drop down the subframe the rear brake pipes will come down with it. I can take some pictures to discribe it more accurate. But the miane question is how to disconnect the brake hoses without making so much brake fluid come out and still keep the pipes intact! (heard some people bent the brake pipes to plug them, but mine is in perfect condition so want to keep them intact)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eaurouge so I can disconnect it all right by the caliper and just plug the "plastic-hose" and leave it on the car and then drop the subframe? The way I see it the brake pipes has to come down with it otherwise I cant drop the subframe becouse the pipes are sticked to it? I'm totally new at this and my intentions was just to change the swingarms and the spring panarms but my subframe was in so bad condition so I had to change that to.. So any help I can get is needed! Sorry for my bad english and explanations!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Hi dannee
Do you mean you need to make a 'blind pipe' to blank or block the hydraulic pipes to avoid hydraulic fluid loss..??

Get a piece of copper brake pipe made up.. about 20cm long with the correct union/connection at one end.. hammer the other end flat..about 10 cm and then fold it in half and hammer it flat again.. you now have a 'blind pipe'..
when you disconnect your pipes quickly screw the 'blind pipe' on.. that should keep it sealed while you do the rest of the job..

when you have finished the subframe job.. reconnect the original pipes and bleed the system..
try not to lose too much fluid..

I'm not sure about pipe/ union sizes.. can anyone help??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I came up with my own solution! :D I took one of the rear brake hoses and connected it to the pipes were i disconnected them! Works perfekt and completly seald! Know my new issue is to solve a rounded nut one the other caliper.. Think I will saw it of and the go to some alfa garage and they will make me a new pipe!

My intent of just changeing the wishbones got a little bigger... Rear subframe, brake pipe/hoses and so on. Before this the only thing I'v done with a car was changing oil/filter and airfilter so quiet a big step! :D

Thanks for the replyes!

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
No worries Dan, if you are stuck for any parts/bolts let me know and postage is all you need pay. I removed a subframe before christmas and its lying in bits in my shed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bolts arrived yesterday, thank you so much! I hope I don't need anything else and that everything go smooth when I put the new frame on! But I'll let you know if some other bolts "****ing with me" :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts