Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've owned my 2002 156 2.5 V6 (facelift interior) for five years. Apart from looking its best after 13 years, the engine is bullet proof and, surprisingly so, it had no electrical gremlins whatsoever (I owned a couple of 1999 TSes so I know!). I still managed to spend a small fortune on it, but that's a given.

I've always been an Alfista, having grown up in Italy. My uncle had a Giulietta (the real one, not the re-badged Fiat Bravo!), my confirmation sponsor had a 33 QV, almost died in a 33, a guy in my small village had an SZ back in '92... When I grew up, it was obvious what marque I was going to choose. After 16 years in the UK (NI), I've owned nothing but Alfas.
I still love my V6, but after 5 years I fancied a change. Seen the pathetic state that the Fiat management left the Alfa Romeo range in (I'll believe the resurrection when I see it!), for now I decided to go for a BMW 335i coupe. While it hurts me a little, I don't regret the choice. It's a LOT of car, super fast from very low revs... but a bit clinical and not as fan as the V6.

Coming to the point... maybe my Alfa decided to punish me right after putting it up for sale! It all started with a P0220 (accelerator potentiometre error); after changing the accelerator, the immobiliser came on and various modules (VDC, ABS, etc) flash up on the infocentre. I've had the ECU tested, all seemed fine, but the car is still immobilised. It does not start by disconnecting the throttle body either. My spark got an ECU diagram and checked all main pins for power supply, earths, etc and he's still convinced it's the ECU.

I scouted the interwebs to find a second hand ECU for my car (BOSCH 0261207597 - ME31A006) but nobody seems to have one. I tried the usual suspects (Autolusso, Dan, etc) and the main ECU repair centres online, as well as reaching out to other countries like Spain or Italy.
I have 15 people interested in buying my car - I'm at a total loss so, if nobody here has one working to sell, my V6 will probably end up in the great scrapyard in the sky... :depressed:

SO, DO YOU HAVE A BOSCH ME3.1 ECU FOR SALE?!? Please help.

Attachments

·
Registered
944 Posts
Tim0172 speaks (is) dutch. PM him and ask for his help. Hes a top bloke.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Could it not be as simple as a battery/earth problem?

If you have multiecuscan you should be able to connect to the ECU and it can tell you if the immobiliser has unlocked it. you will also be able to work out quite quickly if it is faulty too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Thanks @Davffc, I'm quite familiar with that thread - sounds exactly like my problem. Unfortunately the OP did not follow up, posting if and how he ever sorted the problem. Although it's hinted that he was looking for a replacement ECU from Autolusso.
I'm going to probably say some garbage here. You could also try Gus at Alfatune?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

If you have multiecuscan you should be able to connect to the ECU and it can tell you if the immobiliser has unlocked it. you will also be able to work out quite quickly if it is faulty too.
The car has been in the auto spark's shop for few days now... the guy has ensured me it's no silly power/earths problem. Yesterday he confirmed by checking directly at the connector cable's pins. Strangely, I can still connect to it via OBD, but all ECU modules seem to be throwing errors.

BUT... Liam from AutoLusso just let me know that they finally have a Bosch ME3.1 in stock. With a bit of luck, this will fix the problem.

Thanks all for your help/suggestions so far - I'll be back to let you know how it went.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Thanks @Davffc, I'm quite familiar with that thread - sounds exactly like my problem. Unfortunately the OP did not follow up, posting if and how he ever sorted the problem. Although it's hinted that he was looking for a replacement ECU from Autolusso.
No worries - I was at work and didn't have time to read to the finish in the thread. Hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
30 Posts

I agree with ransoman, before going for another ECU i'd do a health check on the current circuit, could be there is an electrical connectivity issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Spoke to the spark this evening, he went over the entire diagram with me and it seems he's been checking all the right places. All live feeds to the ECU work and the earths are in place, relays are fine, no blown (maxi and reg) fuses. Surely the ECU seems the main suspect now - at this point I'm hoping so. :paranoid:

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts