Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rad has gone on my 2.0 16 valver. I'm planning to replace it over this weekend, but when I looked at the distructions in the work-shop manual it said a load of air-con components need to come out before hand. eek! eek!

Has anyone done the job on a car with air con? And is it true? Please say it isn't......

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doh!! Hope not, I've gotta change the Rad on my V6 eventually and its tight in there :( Twinny was dead easy but it doesnt have aircon.

wrinx

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How does the aircon get in the way?

Having been underneath my car tonight,the only pipe i saw was a fixed metal pipe leading into a rubber one which runs along about 3-4 inches from the bottom of the rad, I'm not familiar with the air-con system having never before had a car with it (and even this one doesn't work).

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Wrinx fortunately mine has`nt got the bhp sapping air con but when i did the rad on mine it was still a little bas..rd to get out :p

Oh the joys of Alfa Ownership

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you drop it from underneath? Looks too wide to come out the top............sorry to stray from your topic Chris :rolleyes:

wrinx

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Nah it comes out from the top with a bit of fiddling but as i said its a tight little bast..d

Think i took the fan off (which is fun)then twisted and jiggled the rad out

Btw it goes back in a lot easier than it comes out

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Makes sense, its only a few bolts holding the fan on...ta wink

wrinx

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
there is a second radiator for the air-con thats bolted to the front of the normal rad..if you remove the front panel you might be able to pull it clear and take it out of the top.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Be very careful if you need to move any of the aircon piping and condenser (the extra rad JB mentions). They contain refrigerant gas at high pressure (up to 300 psi if the system is operational or just switched off) Should you rupture one of the pipes the gas can cause severe burns, so make sure you wear heavy gloves.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I changed the rad in my Q4 which has got aircon, also alot less space behind the fan because of a dirty great turbo.
From memory the rad needs to come out ouf the top of the car, and to make things easyier you need to get the front slam panel, with the lights out, the bumper too, you should then be able to undo the bolts holding the aircon rad, and also the fan, basically undo all of the piping for the cooling rad and drag it carefully up. From what I remember the rad is bolted at the top but has a couple of 'pins' that push down into rubber gromits at the bottom.

Will probably take the best part of a day to do, but it is fairly straight forward. If you need any more help just ask.

Steve

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oooohhh errrr! I didn't do it this weekend. The weather was too nice so I went out scrambling up big mountains. (Tryfan and Snowdon via Crib Goch)

So what you're all saying is, Take the bumber off, slam panel lights and grill out, the fan off the red and it might possibly maybe come out. Doh thats next weekend up the spout then. :rolleyes:

Cheers for all you help guys :D

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh while I was away my dad very kindly put the sport pack spoiler I found on the car. I'll post a picture later in the photo lounge. I'm sure you'll all agree - my Dad's done a superb job painting it with rattle cans. :D Not that I'm showing off or anything. :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts