Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ,

I'm new to the forum and new to my 04 alfa 156 1.6ti. I'm enjoying driving it, but there are acouple of things that don't seem quite right to me.
First, the temperature gauge takes about 20 mins to reach 90. If Im sitting in traffic, it will go just over and when I start to move it will drop again to about the 70 Mark. Motorway driving, it is never at 90, always lower, 70ish. Is this normal operation? I have read a number of threads, but it is still not clear to me what the correct operation of the gauge / thermostat should be. Most other cars I have driven, the temp gauge reaches 90 in about 5 mins or so, and then stays at 90 all the time.

The second thing is the whining from the front of the car. I can hear the whine mostly at about 2000 rpm. It is audible when stationary, moving, and when clutch is down, even in neutral, when moving. It slowly gets louder approaching 2000 rpm, and then begins to fade with the noise of the engine.

Are these2 things related? Should I just replace the thermostat, see if it makes a difference to the gauge reading? I've just bought the car, has about 64000 miles on it, and the dealer(alfa) says belt was done.

Any ideas would be very welcome!

A

·
0 Posts
Don't change the thermostat before checking the real temperature (as I did). You may find out that the gauge, not the thermostat, was at fault (as I did) and end up paying a niceish amount for no reason (as I did, ~100 euros for a 2.4 20v JTD). Mine sits at 70 all the time, unless driven really hard, but the real temperature (checked with a KKL cable and FiatEcuScan) is in the 84-86 range.
As for the whining, it could be a number of things. Check your power steering fluid level, replace it if not done in a while, also get the water pump checked (particularly if you're driving a 16v/20v diesel, i.e. the newer 1.9/2.4, there's a thread around here detailing the risks), finally try putting the aircon off and see if it has any impact on the noise. What exact part of the engine bay is the whining coming from?

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Don't change the thermostat before checking the real temperature (as I did). You may find out that the gauge, not the thermostat, was at fault (as I did) and end up paying a niceish amount for no reason (as I did, ~100 euros for a 2.4 20v JTD). Mine sits at 70 all the time, unless driven really hard, but the real temperature (checked with a KKL cable and FiatEcuScan) is in the 84-86 range.
As for the whining, it could be a number of things. Check your power steering fluid level, replace it if not done in a while, also get the water pump checked (particularly if you're driving a 16v/20v diesel, i.e. the newer 1.9/2.4, there's a thread around here detailing the risks), finally try putting the aircon off and see if it has any impact on the noise. What exact part of the engine bay is the whining coming from?
thus stat check thread you can be reading a duff sensor:thumbs:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts