Alfa Romeo Forum banner

201 - 214 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
8,673 Posts
Which Brix do you have?
It says GB-XM-12-3227 on the bottom. It has an i3 inside. It's a nice little machine - 8GB, SSD and USB 3 external HD.

Can the fan be replaced? :)
I got one in the post this morning sent from Germany. All fitted, up and running again.

I don't think I'll run FAH again on it though. It's basically laptop components inside and at thirty+ quid a fan it could get expensive.

·
Registered
26,112 Posts
Damned!

Been folding for weeks, but forgot to set user name and team - thousands and thousands of points down the drain (albeit for a good cause) ...

·
devoid of gorm
7,586 Posts
Had a weird few days where the browser version was not working properly. Work units wouldn't download, the scores wouldn't update. But all back to normal now.

·
devoid of gorm
7,586 Posts
We seem to be dropping down in the rankings. But I am happy to have passed 500,000 points after only a few months on and off folding.

·
Registered
26,112 Posts
Still churning out units here, but we could certainly do with a couple more folders...

People - all you PC users: please join lopper69, Halibut and me (Al_Faromeo) in the fold.
It's as easy as

1. firing up Chrome,
  2. pointing it at [email protected] Chrome Client,
  3. Giving yourself a name (your forum name),
  4. filling in the team ID for the AlfaOwner team - 163049
and your spare CPU cycles will be put to good use!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I'd still be doing it but as I'm on a laptop it just makes it spin the fan like crazy and run really hot. They just aren't built for 100% cpu use all the time 😕 I'll give it a go later and see if I can throttle it a bit to keep it a little quieter and cooler.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
So I have finally managed to get my old favourite medieval total war game working on the computer. It has a 7790 and an Intel Core i5 3570k in it. The game was from 2002 so I should have a decent amount of spare cycles for Folding with. Out of curiosity what sort of points per day are you lot getting?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bumping the cause

A brilliant plain English explanation of protein things:

Stumbled across this in this forum but lost the OP - thank you. Now this [email protected] thing all makes sense.

I've joined the good fight, but what a faff...

1. Downloaded the [email protected] app.
2. Ran it. Hmm where's my OpenCL gone? Gone awol. Need it to use GPU.
3. Installed latest ATI Radeon drivers. Still awol.
4. Google. Some lie about maybe AMD dropped support for OpenCL for older cards (RX 480...).
5. I believed them so bought a new card. Any excuse will do! (RX Vega 56...)
6. No display. HDMI dead:-(
7. Google. My new card needs 2x 8 pin power cables. My old PSU just had 2x 6 pin.
8. Ordered a new PSU (£100+)
9. After 7 days Amazon agreed that Hermes had lost it (was sent "this item shows what's inside...").
10. Refund. Ordered another.
11. Finally I have a display.
12. Ran [email protected] OpenCL still missing. Fk. Reinstalled latest drivers multiple times. Grr.
13. "Radeon Settings" kept crashing every time I tried to run it too. Grr.
14. Ran EventViewer. Application log - RadeonSettings.exe crashing due to igdrclneo64.dll.
15. Google. igdrclneo64.dll = Intel Graphics OpenCL thing. Hmm.
16. I'd disabled Intel Graphics on my mobo cos I'd a respectable GPU.
17. Enabled Intel Graphics in my BIOS.
18. Woo hoo! Radeon Settings no longer crashes.
19. Ran [email protected] No joy - connection problems everywhere.
20. Google. Add the various FAH exe files to Windows Firewall to let them connect out.
21. Also run the client as admin
22. WU fking hoo!! :party:

Will try without (21) but for now my system is chugging along number munching quite nicely. Both CPU (i7 6700k) and RX Vega. Started yesterday afternoon so early days.

Viewer doesn't work. Might need to add inbound (listen) firewalls rules for the apps, or it just doesn't work.

I appreciate the viewer would slow it down but I only want to peek now and then. It would help on-board more people if they could "see" what they were doing, otherwise it's a very dull experience watching a progress bar slowly creep along. NASA doesn't need to bolt expensive cameras to all their stuff but they need public support with pretty pictures. Makes great press coverage too. It would bring more to the fold...

·
Registered
26,112 Posts
Great work & dedication to the cause (JNT*) - all I did was get the .exe for Win10, entered my ID and team number and no issues (but what do I know?)

* JNT = Just Noticed This

201 - 214 of 214 Posts