Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a few months ago my gearbox dumped its oil the garage i took it to thought it was the first motion seal but when the box was dropped there was a crack/small hole in the gear box the gearbox still works cause i drove it to the garage what im wondering what could of caused this crack/small hole

many thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
A friend put his Civic into a ditch once... that left some nice cracking patterns accross the base of the gearbox and he sold it a while later... :rolleyes:

Big rock? Speed bump?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the way the problem happened was i had a car pull out on me had to do an emergency stop but would of not stopped in time so i shift down from 4th to second then when i tried to pull away the car didnt feel right got out to check and that when i notice the oil

also the whole is where the clutch goes not the out side if you get what i mean

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no no no its where the clutch would sit mechanic said it looks like something tried to punch its way through

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Perhaps the clutch is nearing the end of its life (heavy? slipping? biting point high?) and has lost a spring finger, which had popped off during a quick stomp on the pedal. I know it sounds far-fetched but in some clutches I have seen the release bearing wear the ends of the fingers so much that the bearing housing scores a line around the fingers, creating a weak spot where tye finger then snaps off.

Then again I guess you have the gearbox off and are getting the casing welded, so you'll have inspected the clutch by now.

-Alex

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you would think the guy would weld it but no he used what he called a metal cement glue and said that he didnt know how long it would last and that it should only be a temp fix and as this has cost me £470 i cant afford a second hand box

1 - 8 of 8 Posts